B1G | Page 86 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would imagine that the free fall from last years #5 ranking, losing 8 of their last 12 BCS matches, and only scoring 7 points total in their two BCS games this season is of the most concern right now.

But being the only eastern team in a conference that plays west of the Mississippi has got to have a downside. When the Eers rivals were VT, Pitt, and Maryland and they now have to manufacture a rivalry with Oklahoma State or Texas, it will take a while.

FSU has been in the ACC for 22 seasons, and is only now developing a rivalry....with Clemson.
That's why the Big 12 will add Cinn.
If they acted quickly they could have added
Pitt, Cinn, WV, and Louisville.
That's the logical group that should have stayed together.

Reaction Score
That's why the Big 12 will add Cinn.
If they acted quickly they could have added
Pitt, Cinn, WV, and Louisville.
That's the logical group that should have stayed together.
Nice observation,I can't believe the B12 couldn't see the great value and national interest that move would've made?I see the same type of value with UConn helping the B1G lockdown the NEast coast along along with MD/RU...its a no-brainer??I think the B1G is gonna make their move before negotiating the next TV contract!

Reaction Score
Nice observation,I can't believe the B12 couldn't see the great value and national interest that move would've made?I see the same type of value with UConn helping the B1G lockdown the NEast coast along along with MD/RU...its a no-brainer??I think the B1G is gonna make their move before negotiating the next TV contract!
We can only hope!

Reaction Score
Looks like the Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge is officially a thing now :

http://www.uscho.com/2013/09/24/hoc...emendous-opportunity-to-build-a-relationship/

From a UConn perspective I guess you can look at it two ways: on the plus side this means that UConn hockey will be showcased with Big Ten teams regularly but on the negative side this means the Big Ten will have plenty of access to the NE Hockey market without needing to add any additional schools affiliate member or non.

pj

Reaction Score

http://www.uscho.com/2013/09/24/hoc...emendous-opportunity-to-build-a-relationship/

From a UConn perspective I guess you can look at it two ways: on the plus side this means that UConn hockey will be showcased with Big Ten teams regularly but on the negative side this means the Big Ten will have plenty of access to the NE Hockey market without needing to add any additional schools affiliate member or non.

If hockey becomes a significant part of BTN viewership then they'll still want to expand to New England.

Reaction Score

Eh, these teams already play out here, don't they? They have pre season tourneys and a couple regular season games already every year.

Reaction Score
Eh, these teams already play out here, don't they? They have pre season tourneys and a couple regular season games already every year.

To a certain degree you are right. They seem to be formalizing routine match ups. albeit not annual, at this point. But there are still teams left out, esp for Hockey East, because they have more teams. ND will inevitably play against some of the BIG teams, esp former CCHA teams.

I suspect the match ups will increase & perhaps fall more on a given time period. For Minnesota, we absolutely must maintain our rivalries with North D. (UND), Denver, Mn-Duluth, Colorado College & other Mn teams. Thus scheduling will be tricky. The above simply bring more intense, historical rivalries to Minny than any eastern team.

It's a nice start to hopefully greater, cross-regional match ups.

In time, I think Hockey East and BIG fans will take notice of the NCHC, which will be one helluva hockey conference & their members will have healthy resentment towards the BIG, esp, for breaking up decades of history - the classic WCHA - which was simply the most successful athletic conference in all of college sports - by far when it comes to college hockey.

Reaction Score

There's actually very few pre-season hockey tournaments. Most come either near Thanksgiving or in the week between Christmas and New Years.

And, as it turns out, most of the big programs actually *don't* cross regional lines to play away games all that often.

Reaction Score
To a certain degree you are right. They seem to be formalizing routine match ups. albeit not annual, at this point. But there are still teams left out, esp for Hockey East, because they have more teams. ND will inevitably play against some of the BIG teams, esp former CCHA teams.

I suspect the match ups will increase & perhaps fall more on a given time period. For Minnesota, we absolutely must maintain our rivalries with North D. (UND), Denver, Mn-Duluth, Colorado College & other Mn teams. Thus scheduling will be tricky. The above simply bring more intense, historical rivalries to Minny than any eastern team.

It's a nice start to hopefully greater, cross-regional match ups.

In time, I think Hockey East and BIG fans will take notice of the NCHC, which will be one helluva hockey conference & their members will have healthy resentment towards the BIG, esp, for breaking up decades of history - the classic WCHA - which was simply the most successful athletic conference in all of college sports - by far when it comes to college hockey.

Ugh, there's a WCHA fan here now too? ;) Let me guess, Goofers?

Reaction Score
I have never watched a hockey game. I guess spending a lifetime in sunny north Florida influenced that.

We grew up around youth baseball...most cities have youth leagues with beaucoup teams.

Reaction Score
I have never watched a hockey game. I guess spending a lifetime in sunny north Florida influenced that.

We grew up around youth baseball...most cities have youth leagues with beaucoup teams.

And I grew-up watching a kid named Brian Leetch play hockey (and baseball) for my high school, which explains why Gary Bettman’s vision of NHL teams down in Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, etc. is so foolish.

Reaction Score
And I grew-up watching a kid named Brian Leetch play hockey (and baseball) for my high school, which explains why Gary Bettman’s vision of NHL teams down in Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, etc. is so foolish.

And I played against Don Sutton (Hall of Fame pitcher) in high school..... The only hockey that I have seen is in the movie "Slapshot".

Reaction Score
I am Irish and French and live just West of the Hudson. As for down south, are there a lot of Native Americans there as they are really the only 'real' Americas. The rest of us are just immigrants.

Funny

I'm sure most of you haven't seen this ... it's on dating sites and some social networks ... but lots & lots of folks use the Term Native Americans. I really think that exclusively is someone with American Indian blood. I don't think being born in Cleveland is what the Term has in mind. We are immigrants; as such, I think we all ought to take pride in how difficult that process was for our forebears.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We are immigrants; as such, I think we all ought to take pride in how difficult that process was for our forebears.

Amen - those Indians probably put up a hell of a fight.

Reaction Score
Yep...they put up a fight but were one of the losers in the CR of the past centuries....

It was nip and tuck for a while about who would come out on top in that colonial CR....the French conference had come on strong but were spread out without any population centers north of New Orleans and south of Quebec...the Spanish had Florida and the west coast but lacked the east and the middle...they were in a classic split spare position. The Brits had the SMSA's of the day.

pj

Reaction Score
The French and Spanish lacked strategic sense, they gave up all the major TV markets to the English.

Reaction Score
The English settlers had a centered belief that was the forerunner of Slive and Delaney's core belief......"manifest destiny".

Reaction Score
I am Sicilian, English, Irish and Cherokee Indian, so I take offense at almost every post in this thread. Oh, and to hell with the French and the Germans.

Reaction Score
I am Sicilian, English, Irish and Cherokee Indian, so I take offense at almost every post in this thread. Oh, and to hell with the French and the Germans.

Monsieur...you wound me deeply with your disdain for the Gallic contributions to culture. You should be forever banned from the Big Easy.

Reaction Score
Monsieur...you wound me deeply with your disdain for the Gallic contributions to culture. You should be forever banned from the Big Easy.

Can I still go to Brennan's, when it re-opens?

Reaction Score
Can I still go to Brennan's, when it re-opens?

Absolutely...that's where most of the pasty complexioned northern white guys in their plaid shirts over mismatched plaid shorts, wearing sandals with calf high black socks, hang out. It is de riguer for that set (french for "what's that about?).

There is also a second yankee set seen at Brennan's...swarthier in complexion. The "jersey guys". Flashy gold rings, watches the size of canape plates, gold chains right out of the 70's accenting their unbuttoned shirts and gorilla hair chests. They are often seen with drinks that have fruit and little paper umbrellas hanging out of them.

Reaction Score
My sixth GG was a full blooded Cherokee woman...

By the by...the Cherokee Nation does not use the blood quantum rule to determine if you are eligible for membership...only documentation of direct descent from an ancestor on the Dawes roll. The eastern band does have a requirement that your ancestor be 1/16 at the time of the 1924 roll.

Reaction Score
Absolutely...that's where most of the pasty complexioned northern white guys in their plaid shirts over mismatched plaid shorts, wearing sandals with calf high black socks, hang out. It is de riguer for that set (french for "what's that about?).
We don't call them Yankees in AZ we call them Canadians.
Most of the Canadians that invade AZ are from Western Providences. Farmers with oil lease income.

There is also a second yankee set seen at Brennan's...swarthier in complexion. The "jersey guys". Flashy gold rings, watches the size of canape plates, gold chains right out of the 70's accenting their unbuttoned shirts and gorilla hair chests. They are often seen with drinks that have fruit and little paper umbrellas hanging out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom