B1G | Page 77 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why do posters continue to bash me for recognizing the success Uconn had the past 15 years and correlating it to growth in the fanbase?

It has been stated by many Uconn posters on this board that it is important for the Uconn fanbase to grow and reach new demographics (ie locations, age, sex, race, etc). As I previously said, I am not questioning the loyalty or support of the Uconn fanbase. I did not say that Uconn didn't have a fanbase or winning seasons prior to 1999. I stated that I see 1999-present as an important time frame for reaching new demographics. I then stated that these new fans will create another spike in fanbase in another 10 years when they pass the fanbase support on to their children. I do not think anyone can argue that Uconn did not reach new demographics during this time frame.

Why are you interpreting it as bashing? I was simply disagreeing with how you framed it. I mean, the dynamic you're describing, of expanding the fanbase to younger people, goes on everywhere else too. It's no big deal really.

Reaction Score
If your the B1G, you have two types of schools to add.
1) National Brand (Nebraska)
2) Potential (Rutgers & Maryland)

UCONN is in the 2nd category. I have no doubts that if UCONN was in the B1G that it would have the same potential as Rutgers. Rutgers got the nod first because it was already in the AAU. If UCONN had been in the AAU and Rutgers wasn't the shoe would be on the other foot.

The problem with potential is any school in a large metro area has potential. Houston has potential. SMU has potential. UCONN has potential. Rutgers has potential. The institution and type of fans will determine if the potential can be reached.

What I disagree with is the concept that the NE is so full of rabid pro fans that it makes it hard for schools to be big time. My comment is that the reason it will work is the fans are rabid. The shear number of schools and types of schools has not lent itself to the B1G model. I know UCONN fans don't want to hear this, but if Rutgers shines athletically they can capture fans. UCONN could too. This board points out the "Pro" issue all the time and in the next post you point out how well your basketball brand does. That is a contradiction. There are tons of pro basketball teams in the region. If you formula for fan apathy was true it would be the same for UCONN basketball.

Passionate fans make for great potential. The B1G believes that passion can involve college sports as shown in the rest of the B1G footprint. The type of fan we want is in the NE. We just need to get them to watch a few great games and the next thing you know they will be tuning in more regularly and after 10 years or so they will be rabid fans of the B1G teams as well as the Yanks, Mets, Giants, Celtics etc.

I agree with almost all of this. I'm also not one to make the pro argument. The link I gave another poster about the Horde shows that UConn in the past was the #1 attraction in the state. Heck, SNY charges every cable subscriber $2+ a month, and that's not because of the Mets popularity. We might disagree on Rutgers a bit. I tend to think that Rutgers failing in the B1G will hurt UConn in terms of the B1G's outlook on northeast schools, the same way that BC in the ACC hurt the perception of UConn when it came to expansion. Plus, many of us are not so concerned about football recruiting in the AAC because UConn has been finishing at the bottom of the recruiting rankings of BCS schools for some time, and it still develops a lot of talent for the NFL. It can continue to do this. The only question is, will BC and Syracuse start taking more recruits from UConn. Because UConn actually competes with these schools. For some reason, UConn has not competed with Rutgers so much in the past. I don't know why. It's pretty bizarre. For every Connecticut kid that UConn doesn't take interest in (take WR M. Harrison who recently just left Rutgers) and who ends up at Rutgers, there is a New Jersey kid who is ignored by Rutgers (RBs Donald Brown or Andre Dixon) and ends up at Uconn. The schools don't go head to head often. Cuse and BC are much more involved with UConn targets (in New England, Maryland, New York state and Pennsylvania).

Reaction Score
upstater said:
You have a short version of history. UConn made 3 Sweet 16s and a Final 8 in that period. The fanbase for bball was in-built, despite what you say. UConn packed the Civic Center. To say UConn bball was like UMass FB today is ridiculous. UMass isn't appearing in any BCS bowl game.​

And UConn was selling out Big East games in the Civic Center before Pitt was in the Big East. If UConn was merely solid in the 90's as UPitt contends, what does that make Pitt in their best years? Something less than solid.

First, Upstarter's response was with respect to a Rutgers fan comparing Uconn to Umass. So why drag me into it?

Secondly, Uconn was a founding member of the Big East in 1979, but Pitt became a member shortly after in 1982. The remaining members didn't join until 1992, 1995, and 2005. You sound as if you are lumping Pitt with the later additions.

Third, if you read my posts I never compared Pitt BB to Uconn BB. I will say it again, Pitt has had some recent success at BB, but lacks a strong BB fanbase and has very little history outside of Jerome Lane breaking a backboard at a game in the late 80s.

Fourth, I'm sorry I used the word "solid". Please feel free to insert a better word but I thought solid would bring the point across. I stated that Uconn I associate Uconn dominance from 1999 going forward because of my age and that is when they won the NC and reached national attention. I used the word "solid" to try and differentiate the past 8 to 9 years as being more important because the Uconn women BB continued to grow, football was added to D1, and BB won two more NCs.

Reaction Score
Why are you interpreting it as bashing? I was simply disagreeing with how you framed it. I mean, the dynamic you're describing, of expanding the fanbase to younger people, goes on everywhere else too. It's no big deal really.

And UConn was selling out Big East games in the Civic Center before Pitt was in the Big East. If UConn was merely solid in the 90's as UPitt contends, what does that make Pitt in their best years? Something less than solid.

There have been a few other quotes that seemed more like jabs than open conversation. I have tried my best to be respectful and think I deserve it in return.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree with almost all of this. I'm also not one to make the pro argument. The link I gave another poster about the Horde shows that UConn in the past was the #1 attraction in the state. Heck, SNY charges every cable subscriber $2+ a month, and that's not because of the Mets popularity. We might disagree on Rutgers a bit. I tend to think that Rutgers failing in the B1G will hurt UConn in terms of the B1G's outlook on northeast schools, the same way that BC in the ACC hurt the perception of UConn when it came to expansion. Plus, many of us are not so concerned about football recruiting in the AAC because UConn has been finishing at the bottom of the recruiting rankings of BCS schools for some time, and it still develops a lot of talent for the NFL. It can continue to do this. The only question is, will BC and Syracuse start taking more recruits from UConn. Because UConn actually competes with these schools. For some reason, UConn has not competed with Rutgers so much in the past. I don't know why. It's pretty bizarre. For every Connecticut kid that UConn doesn't take interest in (take WR M. Harrison who recently just left Rutgers) and who ends up at Rutgers, there is a New Jersey kid who is ignored by Rutgers (RBs Donald Brown or Andre Dixon) and ends up at Uconn. The schools don't go head to head often. Cuse and BC are much more involved with UConn targets (in New England, Maryland, New York state and Pennsylvania).

Dwayne Gratz grew up across town and I don't think he was even offered by Schiano.

Reaction Score
The in state fan base actually reached its peak in 1999
The previous decade had been the decade of huskymania
In Ct. Too much success breeds complacency.
Upitt is correct the NC brought a national character to UConn sports.
The NC brought expections that anything less was failure to the hsrdcore. Hudkie fan for 60 years.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The in state fan base actually reached its peak in 1999
The previous decade had been the decade of huskymania
In Ct. Too much success breeds complacency.
Upitt is correct the NC brought a national character to UConn sports.
The NC brought expections that anything less was failure to the hsrdcore. Hudkie fan for 60 years.

No question 1999 made UConn a national contender. We were simply talking about the development of the fanbase (and the initial comparison was with Rutgers). In that context, the question of UConn's bball history and tradition prior to 1999 is entirely appropriate.

Reaction Score
Dwayne Gratz grew up across town and I don't think he was even offered by Schiano.

@He wasn't ,Funny thing but the recruits from the home states that are overlooked or not offered by their home state seem to make a greater effort to say "this is what you missed" to the state they felt snubbed them ala Don Brown or Mark Harrison!!What bothers me is SU and especially BC have seemed to step it up in recruiting this year!!Dougie was actually a crummy recruiter but could find occasional hidden gem's!We were better off when he was there!

Reaction Score

There have been a few other quotes that seemed more like jabs than open conversation. I have tried my best to be respectful and think I deserve it in return.

So what in the comment causes offense or disrespect?

I've made it evident I disagree with you.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe you've been giving grammar lessons to others on this board. You got on someone for "semantics."

Personally, I like winning and trophies and national championships. I'd rather have that than be a perpetual cellar dweller.

Your post basically shows where the Rutgers mentality is. You guys are so used to losing, you make fun of the concept of winning national championships.

It's bizarre, pathetic!!!!

Perpetual cellar dweller?Is this the hoop's board?Check the standing's a little closer and even in hoop's with terrible coaches we've finished in the lower middle of the pack!Since "06" how often did you finish higher or with a better FB record!

Reaction Score
Perpetual cellar dweller?Is this the hoop's board?Check the standing's a little closer and even in hoop's with terrible coaches we've finished in the lower middle of the pack!Since "06" how often did you finish higher or with a better FB record!

Since UConn has been in the league it has finished above RU 3 years below 4 years and tied 1 year.

Congrats on being lower middle of the pack in basketball. NJ salutes you.

Reaction Score

The trophies keep me feeling warm inside.

Reaction Score
Admittedly I had a few and was up all night and might have been a bit testy! I apologize for that but as I've stated before I'm not here as a RU fan but as a fan of eastern FB !I'm concerned CR is deregionalizing FB and breaking up great relationship's and rivalries!In your case I pointed to 1 misspelled word and you counter with attacking my grammer instead of issues/arguments in most ot yours!Is this not a blog?Or an English class?Please,as long as you get the message try being polite as I attempt too!Thank you.

Reaction Score
Since UConn has been in the league it has finished above RU 3 years below 4 years and tied 1 year.

@How nice of NJ to salute a Connecticut resident RU fan!I tip my hat to the spokesman for the AAC! The B1G commend's YOU:rolleyes: !

Reaction Score
JC played a huge role. However, UCONN has won 15 Division 1 National Championships since 1980. 12 were in sports other than Mens Basketball.

Pardon me guy's,I had a few to many last night!I may have gone a little overboard!!Please accept my humble apology's!

Reaction Score

@What's your record against RU the last 10 year's?I do remember our fumbling Schiano's "11" game away but other than that unfortunate (for RU) game I don't remember much heart break?

Reaction Score
OK, UConn and UConn/Stamford to the B1G!

I still think the wildest of all is Buffalo or Toronto to the B1G. I don't know if Stretch Armstrong can make it that far.

Focus on UCONN as #16 because of all the positives and the $2B deal with the state.

Hope Rutgers has success, but not to much. Enough success to deliver NJ, but not enough to deliver NYC DMA by themselves. This would show the B1G that they are on the right path and just need UCONN to push it over the top.

Hope that the ACC gets aggressive with MSG and it stirs the B1G to make a blocking move. If UCONN is in the B1G it would effectively put the ACC no closer than arms length from NYC DMA and the B1G would be on top of it.

Reaction Score
Admittedly I had a few and was up all night and might have been a bit testy! I apologize for that but as I've stated before I'm not here as a RU fan but as a fan of eastern FB !I'm concerned CR is deregionalizing FB and breaking up great relationship's and rivalries!In your case I pointed to 1 misspelled word and you counter with attacking my grammer instead of issues/arguments in most ot yours!Is this not a blog?Or an English class?Please,as long as you get the message try being polite as I attempt too!Thank you.
I'm not s Rutgers basher (both my High School Co-Capt. went there in the 60's.
I think Rutgers has terrific potential and actually is a ticket for UConns inclusion in the B1G.
The B1G is built on rivalries. UConn Rutgers has potential to rekindle NYC interest in College football.
Hating each other is part of the fun.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No, Sir. You poked the collective bear and only apologized once it ripped your face off. I have no issues with burying the hatchet as well, but own it and move on.

I know I am not a moderator, but at the end of the day, you are contributing to an opposing program's board. In my opinion, you should expect some push back from the herd upon provocation.

That said, by gones are by gones on my side of the table.:)

Reaction Score
To the folks bringing the discusstion back to B1G conversations, thank you.

Reaction Score
In addition to above:

I do not believe UVA or UNC are leaving the ACC. They will not be #15.

Kansas while being AAU and a new smaller market has the B12 GOR and its little bro KSTATE issues.

Okie does not meet academic criteria and has OkST issues

Missouri could work, but has a seat at the SEC table and wouldn't move unless it knows something that no one else knows.

Who does that leave for #15? ND(no chance), Texas(not unless GOR is crap and it feels it has to do something to stem tide of TAM), Boston U(is AAU, hockey, but nothing else and would take 15 years to get up to speed with little recruiting base)

Well?

Reaction Score
In addition to above:

I do not believe UVA or UNC are leaving the ACC. They will not be #15.

Kansas while being AAU and a new smaller market has the B12 GOR and its little bro KSTATE issues.

Okie does not meet academic criteria and has OkST issues

Missouri could work, but has a seat at the SEC table and wouldn't move unless it knows something that no one else knows.

Who does that leave for #15? ND(no chance), Texas(not unless GOR is crap and it feels it has to do something to stem tide of TAM), Boston U(is AAU, hockey, but nothing else and would take 15 years to get up to speed with little recruiting base)

Well?

BU doesn't have football, and won't be bringing it back. They do have soccer!

Here's my wildcard: ND.

If we're talking 10 years out, maybe enough will have changed so that ND is forced out of independence by the playoff arrangements. And if that happens, the ACC is not the landing spot for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom