B1G | Page 76 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nah.

You're a punchline. Given that Rutgers has never won anything in anything, and has an unfortunate tendency to slam its own d--- in the door, it really can't be any other way.

It's cool, though - I wouldn't admit it either if I were you.

Keep giving us your fishtale's Fishy there humorous!I didn't realize the depth's of UConn's inadequasie's until CR didn't work in your favor fast enough for some of you!Don't worry though,I'll keep it a secret if you will!

Reaction Score
No one in New York City gives a flying f--- about Rutgers' athletics.

If RU was a horse, it'd been shot decades ago.

@Fishtale's ,And if you were relevant you'd be in a proper conference!

Reaction Score
Right now, Rutges has jumped well ahead. So, the answer: no, we are not talking about right now. First off, I was referencing the results on the field as well as the fanbase. Secondly, we were talking about the development of a fanbase over time. The 100 year head start for Rutgers and also a long history for Pitt haven't given these schools an in-built advantage over UConn. Over the last decade (until your expansion) the schools were even. UConn sold out in a rainstorm against Murray State! So we had our Norwich St. too. The fact you've jumped now does not speak to a historical development of a fanbase. You had 43,000 fans in 2011. You've jumped from there. Presumably, your 100 year head start should have given you a bigger lead over a school with an 8 year history. Instead, it was a 5k lead.

Here's a link to the prior period:

http://realanalytics.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/rutgers-football-attendance-stats-y-o-y/

Interesting comment:
….What’s the point of providing statistics if the data is false? If you went to the games you would have seen that Rutgers embellished their attendance numbers nearly every week after their first game. For a number of factors Rutgers hasn’t been able to sell out all year long (weak opponents, Friday night games, unmet expectations…) but it’s in the best interest of Rutgers’ football program to inflate the ticket receipt numbers to justify their recent stadium expansion.
If you didn’t go to the games and didn’t know about the invisible fans that’s another thing, but then why do a study on it? RU’s attendance numbers are skewed on purpose and are not factual and that isn’t to say your statistics are incorrect… but I will say that the stats you provided don’t show the actual picture of RU 2008 to 2009 football attendance-
I would love to know what the true attendance bump was from 2008-2009, but Rutgers released those numbers solely to justify their stadium project. I know that has nothing to do with you, but why even use those numbers if they’re obviously wrong.

Then there's this guy:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ight-will-always-struggle-to-maintain-fanbase
Rutgers Football: Scarlet Knights Will Always Struggle To Maintain Fanbase

I'm not saying UConn is better. UConn has gone from selling out 40k to struggling. Thanks Pasqualoni!

There's also the unmentioned big factor. Football revenue. How much do you charge for tix?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/despite_success_on_the_field_b.html

Despite $30m in direct institutional support from the academic side, your AD was still even with UConn in revenue. UConn does the same thing, but only to the tune of $10m a year. There used to be a $20m funding difference between the schools, and it favored UConn. Presumably, that's a measure of fan interest. I can't see any other way to account for it. Now that you're in the Big10, it will be impossible to do such comparisons in the future (since the TV take between RU and UConn will be entirely different) but I imagine you guys are going to do much much better.

@ No their student ticket's are paid for with built in charges in tuition!No need to give anything away when 49G cram into a 52G stadium so thousand's empty?Yeah maybe 2 or 3G out of a 52G stadium but the Yankee's should do so well!Don't worry its not your fault UConn can't fill 75% of a 39G stadium or under represent's at away games!When CR work's for you your base will hopefully catch fire and put 35G in the stand's!Man is it that hard for Yankee's to be civil?I thought BC was your problem but I'm not sure whose the problem now?No wonder your still waiting in line!!

Reaction Score
If Uconn's bball is only recent, that means Rutgers hoop history is non-existent.

@Isn't it? Tell that to 9M N.Jersey fans in NJ and 80M B1G fan's!!No ones gonna give a what you accomplice in the AAC!!Take your trophy's to bed with you...I hope they keep you warm!!

Reaction Score
And even the 80s is a not filled with only losing. Most would be surprised to learn that Uconn did not have a losing season in its first 4 years in the Big East. And the decade ended with a couple winning seasons. There was a bad 5 year stretch.

@Surprised is an understatement?Where was this info ...in the fine print?I guess you were in the Yankee conference and VERY few cared or knew!But I'll say this JC lifted you by your bootstraps and made you relevant but was it UConn or JC?!!Time will tell!

Reaction Score
Welcome to my Ignore List...

Nicky meet Butch...Butch this is Nicky

Reaction Score
@Surprised is an understatement?Where was this info ...in the fine print?I guess you were in the Yankee conference and VERY few cared or knew!But I'll say this JC lifted you by your bootstraps and made you relevant but was it UConn or JC?!!Time will tell!

JC played a huge role. However, UCONN has won 15 Division 1 National Championships since 1980. 12 were in sports other than Mens Basketball.

Reaction Score
@Why wouldn't they be?RU is part of there beat!!Are you part of anyone's beat?How many beat writer's do you have? Maybe DEZ? How much interest is there for ANY new's out of UConn? Any new's is good new's! Maybe a verbal commit from a recruit would be big new's at this point!Never throw stone's at... oh well you know the name of that tune!When every move UConn make's is scrutinized you'll know your finally in a proper conference!!Interesting what CR has sown in your fanbase!!Geez, poor Mr Lagow had to put up with this craziness?

Look up the Horde:http://articles.courant.com/1991-10-18/sports/0000210679_1_big-east-jim-calhoun-media

UConn has had intense media interest for a long time. That article goes back more than 20 years.

If you really want to know about the level of media interest in the market, check out this link: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

Look at the TV rights and licensing box.

UConn's tier 3 rights, licensing and sponsorships (ads for coaches shows on SNY are included there), are $24.9m. Meanwhile, Rutgers does a $8.7m. That should tell you something about the intensity of the interest in both schools. Granted, UConn has football AND basketball creating that interest, but it shows you how many media dollars the schools can generate outside the conference TV package.

Just to give you an example of interest in UConn sports, the UConn women's bball team has bumped Syracuse men's bball BE games off the air on SNY.

Reaction Score
@Isn't it? Tell that to 9M N.Jersey fans in NJ and 80M B1G fan's!!No ones gonna give a what you accomplice in the AAC!!Take your trophy's to bed with you...I hope they keep you warm!!

Hard to believe you've been giving grammar lessons to others on this board. You got on someone for "semantics."

Personally, I like winning and trophies and national championships. I'd rather have that than be a perpetual cellar dweller.

Your post basically shows where the Rutgers mentality is. You guys are so used to losing, you make fun of the concept of winning national championships.

It's bizarre, pathetic!!!!

Reaction Score

So, you don't even realize the Big East started in the early 1980s? That's when UConn had winning records. Look up it's first years in the BE. The first 4. The F8 and Sweet 16s were in the previous couple decades. Yeah, UConn wasn't a national team then. Neither was Rutgers. The point is, UConn had a fanbase back then, and that's what we're talking about. Nice attempt trying to twist things. You guys still don't have a fanbase--as the B1G is about to find out.

In fact, the biggest thing that will harm UConn with the B1G is how bad Rutgers is about to suck in that conference.

Reaction Score
For our B1G friends, this is the mentality of the Rutgers fans you've saddled up with:

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Keep giving us your fishtale's Fishy there humorous!I didn't realize the depth's of UConn's inadequasie's until CR didn't work in your favor fast enough for some of you!Don't worry though,I'll keep it a secret if you will!

Son, You're going to have to somehow prove to us you are NOT Husky Fan Dan's identical twin lost long ago somewhere along the Jersey Shore....(my apologies, HFD).

Reaction Score
For our B1G friends, this is the mentality of the Rutgers fans you've saddled up with:

Its like watching two kids from the orphanage. The good looking kid that maybe isn't quite as nice or smart just got adopted. Now he is telling the left overs how great it is going to be at his new home while the other kids are still at the orphanage.

UCONN has nothing to be ashamed of. The list of decisions through the years that could have changed this outcome are long. The Big East should have been successful if setup correctly. Not having FBS football until recently doesn't mean it was the wrong decision either.

pj

Reaction Score
The Big East needed to invite Penn State. Once it lost PSU it lost its chance to be solid on the football side. ... But, I don't think two B1G-ACC superconferences that overlap in the northeast is that bad. As long as we're in the B1G.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You have a short version of history. UConn made 3 Sweet 16s and a Final 8 in that period. The fanbase for bball was in-built, despite what you say. UConn packed the Civic Center. To say UConn bball was like UMass FB today is ridiculous. UMass isn't appearing in any BCS bowl game.

And UConn was selling out Big East games in the Civic Center before Pitt was in the Big East. If UConn was merely solid in the 90's as UPitt contends, what does that make Pitt in their best years? Something less than solid.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The spark that grew UCONN's fan base was beating Ohio State University in the 1988 NIT championship game.

Not quite. My first live UConn game was in 1973. The Field House was SRO for a Yale game. Joining the Big East took the fan base to another level. UConn hosted a sold-out Big East Tournament in 1982 for cryin' out loud. Attendance waned when an overmatched, uninspired coach who was allowed to hang on too long slowly drained the life out of the program. Kinda like football now.

Reaction Score
And UConn was selling out Big East games in the Civic Center before Pitt was in the Big East. If UConn was merely solid in the 90's as UPitt contends, what does that make Pitt in their best years? Something less than solid.

Yes, this is what I've been saying. If the measure is fanbase, then UConn comes out looking good. No matter that it had no national following.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is what I've been saying. If the measure is fanbase, then UConn comes out looking good. No matter that it had no national following.

If your the B1G, you have two types of schools to add.
1) National Brand (Nebraska)
2) Potential (Rutgers & Maryland)

UCONN is in the 2nd category. I have no doubts that if UCONN was in the B1G that it would have the same potential as Rutgers. Rutgers got the nod first because it was already in the AAU. If UCONN had been in the AAU and Rutgers wasn't the shoe would be on the other foot.

The problem with potential is any school in a large metro area has potential. Houston has potential. SMU has potential. UCONN has potential. Rutgers has potential. The institution and type of fans will determine if the potential can be reached.

What I disagree with is the concept that the NE is so full of rabid pro fans that it makes it hard for schools to be big time. My comment is that the reason it will work is the fans are rabid. The shear number of schools and types of schools has not lent itself to the B1G model. I know UCONN fans don't want to hear this, but if Rutgers shines athletically they can capture fans. UCONN could too. This board points out the "Pro" issue all the time and in the next post you point out how well your basketball brand does. That is a contradiction. There are tons of pro basketball teams in the region. If you formula for fan apathy was true it would be the same for UCONN basketball.

Passionate fans make for great potential. The B1G believes that passion can involve college sports as shown in the rest of the B1G footprint. The type of fan we want is in the NE. We just need to get them to watch a few great games and the next thing you know they will be tuning in more regularly and after 10 years or so they will be rabid fans of the B1G teams as well as the Yanks, Mets, Giants, Celtics etc.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So??? Would you like to trade places?Just shut up and do it on the field!!Are you a child?We'll sir,your certainly acting the part!!If Ru's gonna get slaughtered how do you justify UConn?

So let me get this straight:

You interpolate yourself into a civil discussion where the involved parties did not need, nor request your input on a message board devoted to an athletic program of which you are not a fan, a graduate, nor with which you are otherwise associated merely to admonish one of the contributing parties for stating facts, about which you assert no one cares (See the proper use of the word, “your?”).

Do you see the irony? Just by hitting the "Post Reply" button indicates that YOU care (No “r” or “‘re” this time) about what is said...on an opposing team's message board.

Second, after you’re summarily dismissed with further fact, you resort to name calling, thereby conceding the argument, because a poster whom you originally interposed upon to begin with on an opposing team’s message board, misspells a word (“You’re” is used as a contraction. We combine the words “you” and “are” with an apostrophe to form “you’re,” but it means the same as “you are.” Now run along and try it ten times to make sure you really get it.). What is more amusing is that you made a few mistakes of your own and the only taunt you are able to muster concerns my perceived age. Where’d you learn to taunt? (Wow. There’s that contraction thing again.). I thought it was a pastime in Jersey (Should we discuss pronouns?).

You know what’s also funny, now that I think about it? I left my office for the day around 5:20 or so yesterday to meet a friend - who I haven’t seen in 3 ½ years - for drinks. I went home and played with my son, put him to bed, and flipped channels between the end of the Red Sox, Western Conf. NHL Finals and the NBA Finals. I finally went to bed and had eight hours of restful slumber. All the while, I did not giving Nicky a first thought, let alone a second. Only this morning did I feel compelled to address his nonsense...on an opposing teams message board.

How was your night? It couldn’t have been very good because it seems like you had The Boneyard on the brain. You proceed to post eighteen more messages on an opposing program’s message board, while drumming up thin and easily refutable reasons about why the opposition (us) is so bad and the program which you support is so much more superior. Don’t you have anything better to do at 3:42 in the morning? Did your Internet muscles get a good workout last night? I sure do hope so.

So again, I bid you adieu. You are dismissed.

Reaction Score
Not quite. My first live UConn game was in 1973. The Field House was SRO for a Yale game. Joining the Big East took the fan base to another level. UConn hosted a sold-out Big East Tournament in 1982 for cryin' out loud. Attendance waned when an overmatched, uninspired coach who was allowed to hang on too long slowly drained the life out of the program. Kinda like football now.

Joining the BE was a major milestone. But up until then UCONN was perceived as a regional power and indeed Yale was considered one of our rivals (Tailgating at the Yale Bowl was always fun). However, winning a "national championship" against a Big Ten school at Madison Square Garden helped catapult UCONN to the national stage and future conference success.

Reaction Score

Why do posters continue to bash me for recognizing the success Uconn had the past 15 years and correlating it to growth in the fanbase?

It has been stated by many Uconn posters on this board that it is important for the Uconn fanbase to grow and reach new demographics (ie locations, age, sex, race, etc). As I previously said, I am not questioning the loyalty or support of the Uconn fanbase. I did not say that Uconn didn't have a fanbase or winning seasons prior to 1999. I stated that I see 1999-present as an important time frame for reaching new demographics. I then stated that these new fans will create another spike in fanbase in another 10 years when they pass the fanbase support on to their children. I do not think anyone can argue that Uconn did not reach new demographics during this time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom