B1G, Big East announce Gavitt Tipoff Games for 2015 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G, Big East announce Gavitt Tipoff Games for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or someone could just steal all Rutgers jerseys and leave UConn jerseys in their place so they either play as 'skins' or in UConn jerseys.

Might play better.

Reaction Score
F--- that.

We've suffered enough.

You invited Rutgers, you should go.

The insanity of conference realignment...there is something called the Dave Gavitt TipOff games and Creighton and Penn State get to play in them and UConn can't.

You can all die in a pit of lava.

If I have to watch PSU play flipping Depaul in a basketball game Mark Aquire better be suiting up. Otherwise I think I'll take the lava.

Reaction Score
These days I only "root" for UConn, but clearly the ACC has some brands that generate interest. Some suggest that the B1G put these "games" together to gain exposure on the East Coast, but I'm not sure if they generate a lot of excitement. Instead, marquee matchups could have included Michigan State/Villanova, Michigan/St. Johns, Wisconsin/Providence, Indiana/Georgetown, Indiana/Providence or Ohio State/Georgetown. Maybe you limit it to just four games at the Garden.

They could also choose to build on regional interest/rivalry to drive some excitement (albeit at the expense of out of region exposure). Aside from Georgetown/Maryland you could set up Nebraska/Creighton, Xavier/Ohio State, DePaul/Illinois, Marquette/Wisconsin, Butler/Indiana and Rutgers/Seton Hall.

Maybe it's just me but some of the announced matchups seem underwhelming. People never showed up for a first round conference tourney game of Rutgers vs. St. Johns. Will they now? DePaul at Penn State? Nebraska at Nova?

Btw, I am looking forward to UConn playing Georgetown and Villanova, even without the Gavitt Games moniker.

I honestly have zero clue how these match ups were chosen? Its like some Fox Executive threw darts at a board while blindfolded. With his feet... The fact that there is actually solid geographic overlap between the 2 conferences seems to have been almost entirely ignored.

Depaul at PSU? Illini at Providence? UNL at Nova? The FAQ? I simply don't get it. Nova might be a stronger program than PSU, but at least it is a game that can be sold to both fan bases. Why the Hell is Nebraska not playing Creighton? Good home atmospheres can make for good TV, which in turn can lead to decent ratings. At least regional match ups might have some juice.

WTF kind of ratings do they hope to achieve with some of these match ups? "Hey boss the ratings are in for last night games." "What did we do?" "A ten" "Wow a ten rating?" "No ten, as in ten people tuned in." Idiots.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for this to continue. I want the BE to succeed...especially if/when UConn is in the B1G.

I miss both the old Big East, and the short-lived, insane new BE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom