Auriemma and Jacobs comment on Ms. Jefferson. | The Boneyard

Auriemma and Jacobs comment on Ms. Jefferson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"A worrier," Auriemma said, "a worrier by nature. Obviously I've only known her for a couple of years, but she worries a lot. She worries about her performance. She worries about what I think. She worries about things that aren't worth worrying about. She spent all of last year looking over at me to see what I thought about every play she made. While she was doing that, she was missing out on opportunities to make plays."

"Moriah was phenomenal tonight,"

Said Jacobs
" She's listed at 5-7. She looks 5-5. She's a sliver. She looks like she could eat a half-dozen Cinnabon rolls and not gain an ounce. She can break the sound barrier on the court.

And twice, Jefferson got Thomas with a splash of cinnamon. She stole the ball as Thomas turned up court deep in her end and in a blink turned the steals into layups.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wonderful, informative piece by Jacobs.

Moriah played out of her mind yesterday,
what a great kid.
That last steal was so quick, the TV missed it.
What a class. what a group of guards
So many that go fearlessly (and skillfully) go the hoop.

OT:
Did you all notice about 10 minutes or so from the end
that Stewie, out on the wing had opportunities to find a lane at the baseline
that she didn't recognize, at least twice.
Wait till they pick that one up on film.
More easy buckets.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They all reacted like champions last night. Tough, fearless, resolute with the talent to back it up. Very proud of them.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"A worrier," Auriemma said, "a worrier by nature. Obviously I've only known her for a couple of years, but she worries a lot. She worries about her performance. She worries about what I think. She worries about things that aren't worth worrying about. She spent all of last year looking over at me to see what I thought about every play she made. While she was doing that, she was missing out on opportunities to make plays."
"Moriah was phenomenal tonight,"

Said Jacobs
" She's listed at 5-7. She looks 5-5. She's a sliver. She looks like she could eat a half-dozen Cinnabon rolls and not gain an ounce. She can break the sound barrier on the court.
And twice, Jefferson got Thomas with a splash of cinnamon. She stole the ball as Thomas turned up court deep in her end and in a blink turned the steals into layups.

After Mo shivved Thomas there was a timeout and Mo's face was near-expressionless as she adjusted her hair. She did look like she hoped she was going back in. S*P*A*R*K*P*L*U*G

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

OT:
More easy buckets.

I don't know exactly when it started, but sometime during the second half, Geno appeared to pull philosophy straight out of Harry Perretta's playbook, more to save legs than anything else - run down the clock before a shot is made. More than once I saw Breanna get open and start to swing into her three point shot and stop, and I could almost hear her thinking "shot clock". I don't know where in the shot clock your examples happened (I didn't tape the game, either), but if they were early on in the clock, I suspect she recognized them but opted out.

They played so smart yesterday. I was so proud of them

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't know exactly when it started, but sometime during the second half, Geno appeared to pull philosophy straight out of Harry Perretta's playbook, more to save legs than anything else - run down the clock before a shot is made. More than once I saw Breanna get open and start to swing into her three point shot and stop, and I could almost hear her thinking "shot clock". I don't know where in the shot clock your examples happened (I didn't tape the game, either), but if they were early on in the clock, I suspect she recognized them but opted out.

Actually Radylady on the first one the thought was not in Stewie's head, according to play by play people Geno was standing directly behind her and shouted it out!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Jacobs opening statement: "Her nickname is Bonn Bonn. She probably should be MoJeff or MoJet or MoMach4. Like her uniform number suggests, Moriah Jefferson plays at four times the speed of sound.

But, no, it's Bonn Bonn."

Mo Mach4. Call off the dogs. We have found the name. I like it!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

I certainly remember the 3-point op you referred to and the clearly dictated clock management.
But I think those two examples were prior. I'll catch it this afternoon on replay
Replay at ESPN 3, I'll note the exact times.

Reaction Score
More than once I saw Breanna get open and start to swing into her three point shot and stop, and I could almost hear her thinking "shot clock".

She wasn't just thinking it... Geno was standing behind her yelling it at her!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
She wasn't just thinking it... Geno was standing behind her yelling it at her!

How strange...it's almost as if I had heard this before. Maybe I should reread the thread.. (good idea)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Moriah played out of her mind yesterday,
what a great kid.
That last steal was so quick, the TV missed it.
What a class. what a group of guards
So many that go fearlessly (and skillfully) go the hoop.

OT:
More easy buckets.
On your OT - I think Geno was already in milk the clock mode so there were a number of openings or glimpses of openings that the team wasn't taking early in the shot clock - not just Stewart.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Extending the clock on offense doesn't just rest legs it, also, reduces the likelihood of of fouls. Less fouls are committed on offense than on defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep. Smart is the way you have to describe this game. Very well coached, with players who listen to instructions.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just watched the game and Geno was slowing the offense for the last 6 minutes of the first half too - not stopping any fast breaks or open lanes to the basket but if those were not available the were very deliberate in starting their half court sets. Not only does it reduce the fatigue factor, but it limits the total possessions each team gets - when he was sitting Stewart and Stokes or Dolson with their two fouls, he wanted very few Maryland possessions. The slow down in the last 12 minutes was just a more blatant version of what he started then and carried on from near the 15 minute mark of the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom