Asia Durr Narrows list; topic morph circa p. 4 to Tennessee's status/outlook | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Asia Durr Narrows list; topic morph circa p. 4 to Tennessee's status/outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just a side note on Cooper - Tennessee fans certainly can spin the stats from the EYBL however they want, but she wasn't even the best PG at that tourney, never mind the best player in her class. Dangerfield (a year younger), and Maybrey (same class) outperformed her in every statistical category - scoring, assists, FT% and FG%, and A/TO ratio. Additionally Cooper shot somewhere around 30% FG%. Not a good number no matter how many 3's you jack up (Higgs, on the other hand, was just over 50% - great for a guard). Coop wasn't in the top 15 for APG (Marta Sniezak averaged an eye popping 8.2).

Both Maybery and Dangerfield scored more than Cooper. Ogunbowale, Ionescu, Higgs (in addition to a host of others) had better PG stats including assists, A/TO, etc, and while Cooper is touted for excelling in defense, she wasn't in the top 15 for steals.

So basically you have a kid who was #5 in the tourney in scoring. Sounds similar to Meighan Simmons. I'm not saying Cooper won't be good. Maybe she will be very good or even great in college. And if all you look at is scoring, you can say "hey she was terrific". If she's a SG, all those other stats won't matter as much. If Tennessee fancies her as a PG, she has some work to do. If you want a PG who scores a ton but is turnover prone and not great on assists (raw #'s or %'s), then that's perfect.

As a side note, Asia Durr didn't have any eye-popping stats in the tourney either. Top 20 in scoring and top 15 in FT%, but that's about it (FT's btw - Dangerfield shot 93.5% - 29-31. And she was 3rd in the tourney!)...
Dangerfield is sounding better and better.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Here is a big difference. UConn doesnt need Durr to win a NC and any other team that gets her wont win a NC with as long as UConn has Breanna Stewart. As good as we've heard she is, she cant do it alone. Now with that said another good team could make the FF with her. Geno has UConn at a level that no other team in WCBB can touch. UConn could lose which would be a fluke, but on paper its not close.

There was a thread talking about how good will UConn be this year compared to last season. IMO Stanford, Duke, MD UNC Lville arent the teams they were last season. One reason is they havent replaced their star players.

Reaction Score
Here is a big difference. UConn doesnt need Durr to win a NC and any other team that gets her wont win a NC with as long as UConn has Breanna Stewart. As good as we've heard she is, she cant do it alone. Now with that said another good team could make the FF with her. Geno has UConn at a level that no other team in WCBB can touch. UConn could lose which would be a fluke, but on paper its not close.

There was a thread talking about how good will UConn be this year compared to last season. IMO Stanford, Duke, MD UNC Lville arent the teams they were last season. One reason is they havent replaced their star players.
Not to mention: we still have ours. For two more years. Ponder that.

U

UCONNfan1

Not to mention: we still have ours. For two more years. Ponder that.
Also, it remains to be seen just what kind of "stars" our current freshmen turn out to be, or the class of 3 from 2015. I don't see any of them as Stewart, Taurasi, or Moore type of "stars", but I'd settle for versions of Kaleena, Ann Strother, Tina Charles, Swin Cash, Ashja Jones, Tamika Williams, etc etc...

Reaction Score
Also, it remains to be seen just what kind of "stars" our current freshmen turn out to be, or the class of 3 from 2015. I don't see any of them as Stewart, Taurasi, or Moore type of "stars", but I'd settle for versions of Kaleena, Ann Strother, Tina Charles, Swin Cash, Ashja Jones, Tamika Williams, etc etc...
You know you're spoiled when you "settle" for Edwards, Williams, Ekmark, and Nurse! I don't want to overlook this year's frosh, but for whatever reason I'm really looking forward to the class of 2015 - especially KLS. I really believe she's the next superstar/face of the game type player. Also, I'm looking forward to having a Kia and a Kiah on the team! Banks transferring and Hartley graduating made it too easy for Geno by halving the number of Br* players on the team.

Reaction Score
Don't overlook Kia Nurse as being a star, to play, and lead a national team at 17, pretty much says she is something special.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Might be a tad optimistic...Charles, KML, Strother, and Williams were all former #1 recruits while Jones and Cash were both top 5. Uconns incoming crop of freshman should be very good (on hoopgurlz all are ranked between 14-31), but it might be a stretch to expect them to be as good as the players mentioned. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Ahh yes, annoyance. My bad.

But if they're so irrelevant, why do we even care?
Maybe we want them to concede that they're irrelevant. After all the years of their pompous attitudes, a concession by the vast majority of super ego Tennessee fans would probably put an end to our interests in anything Tennessee forever. Or at least until they show indications that they're capable of living up to their boasting.

Reaction Score
Might be a tad optimistic...Charles, KML, Strother, and Williams were all former #1 recruits while Jones and Cash were both top 5. Uconns incoming crop of freshman should be very good (on hoopgurlz all are ranked between 14-31), but it might be a stretch to expect them to be as good as the players mentioned. Time will tell.

No, I think its very realistic! All three of the freshmen recruits are rated in the top 10 including the #1 recruit. The 2015 recruiting class may be the second or third best in UCONN History.

Reaction Score
Well that's plenty good enough reason. They brought it on themselves. They could have chosen to support any number of things, KKK, Nazi's, Al Quada, NY Giants, Donald Sterling, but no, they chose something even more sinister, Lady Vols.

Are you saying it would be better if we were rude to Baylor, Duke or Rutgers fans too? I suppose we can give it a shot, although I doubt it's not nearly as much fun.

Isn't being a LV fan the definition of insulting and obnoxious? Pretty sure I read that somewhere. (maybe it was on here??)

:cool: (channeling doggy and being my smart"pants" self)
I don't know, just the fact that Lady Vol fans or any other team's fans would come up and boast about their teams on sites other than their own suggest that they are arrogant and cocky to me. I could understand some positive remarks regarding their own teams but when you start going over the top on another teams's site, WHY? What makes you think that you'll be well received doing so???? I would never consider doing the same, except to reply to someone who was saying horribly disparaging words about my team or players without cause. If you do come to this site, I'd suggest at best maybe a little humble optimism or confidence. Just know where you are when you are speaking out is all I'm saying. JMHO!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally true regarding HG. But there are at least 3 other services out there...

Per Blue Star, Hoopgurlz, ASGR and Prospects Nation:

Williams - 6, 14, 2, 18
Edwards - 9, 18, 6, 8
Ekmark - 13, 31, 8, 26
Nurse - 10, NR, 14, NR

Just as it's much harder to tell with a player like Salvador from Spain, so is it harder to tell with a player like Nurse how good she will be. She was a star on the Canadian national team at 17. But really how good is Canada anyway and how good will Kia be at UCONN? Ekmark was home schooled her last year and she worked on her game by playing in boys leagues. Williams was injured and didn't play during the past year. A LOT of question marks on these kids.

But you are essentially correct - Most of the players listed were or are starters on WNBA teams. Kids like Strother and Williams never really made it in the pros. Personally I'm the highest on Nurse - from what I've seen of her game, she has a lot of Diana Taurasi in it, and she's a similar size. Now IMHO Dee is one of the very best in the world. I don't think Nurse is that good, but as you said, time will tell!

Reaction Score
I would so love to see UConn & Tennessee play again. The greatest rivalry in WCBB history and one of the greatest rivalries ever in all sports.
I agree that it WAS but there's nothing to suggest that it would be again, or at least not at this moment. I'm inclined to think that there is a lot more interest in UConn/Notre Dame than there would be UConn/Tennessee. I will concede that were we to play again, the first game might have an aura about it (based more on nostalgia than the game itself) but that wouldn't last very long. Some of that would be due to the fact that the Tennessee coach doesn't have the gravitas that Pat Summit had. The coaches were part of the story!

Reaction Score
The talent gap will still be there until Stewart/Jefferson graduate, but Tennessee is landing top players who should get Tennessee back into the Final Four and be a title threat. DeShields was far and away the best freshman this year and would have been on everybody's preseason All-American team going into this season. Cooper may seem a tad diva-esque (might be a major understatement...) but she is immensely talented. Mercedes Russell was the #1 incoming recruit who still has great upside after a disappointing freshman season, Nared and Tucker are 2 top 10 recruits that were not on the roster last year, and Carter has experience in big games and did a good job for the Lady Vols as a freshman. Not to mention Bashaara Graves who was arguably the best freshman in the nation in 2012-13 even though she pulled a disappearing act in 2013-14. Lots of good talent, over the next few seasons Tennessee will have its deepest roster since Holly took over and has the talent to be in the national spotlight once again.
I have heard for years about the amount of talent that Tennessee has had but there are a couple of issues. One, it seems that they don't know how to integrate that talent into TEAM which is what basketball is all about. Another thing is that they don't seem to make their players better. Very seldom does it seem that an overtly talented Tennessee freshman evolves into an extraordinary senior. Their players don't seem to develop nearly as much as do players at some other schools, particularly like UConn. That certainly seems to be on the coaching staff and on the systems that are put in place by the coaching staff. If you've got a lot of hot quality parts but you can't put them together properly, you really don't have much in the long term, do you! The emphasis at UConn has always been team first and when you get talented kids who buy into it, you get great results. UConn kids buy into playing well on both sides of the ball, both offensively and defensively and their success is evident.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I have heard for years about the amount of talent that Tennessee has had but there are a couple of issues. One, it seems that they don't know how to integrate that talent into TEAM which is what basketball is all about. Another thing is that they don't seem to make their players better. Very seldom does it seem that an overtly talented Tennessee freshman evolves into an extraordinary senior. Their players don't seem to develop nearly as much as do players at some other schools, particularly like UConn. That certainly seems to be on the coaching staff and on the systems that are put in place by the coaching staff. If you've got a lot of hot quality parts but you can't put them together properly, you really don't have much in the long term, do you! The emphasis at UConn has always been team first and when you get talented kids who buy into it, you get great results. UConn kids buy into playing well on both sides of the ball, both offensively and defensively and their success is evident.

Notre Dame, Connecticut and Stanford have done an exceptional job developing talent and helping players reach their potential. I'll admit Tennessee the last several years has not done as good of a job, but to say Tennessee seldom develops talent is just wrong. Look at Isabelle Harrison and her transformation from a mediocre freshman to one of the nation's top post players. Besides her, off the top of my head I can name Nicky Anosike, Candace Parker, Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen, Sidney Spencer, And Shanna Zolman as players in the last decade who improved immensely throughout their career at Tennessee. Even Ariel Massengale lead improved significantly over her time at UT and still has a year left. The recent track record of player development does not match UCONN's, I'm not arguing that. But Tennessee does develop talent better than the majority of schools in the nation.

Reaction Score
Maybe we want them to concede that they're irrelevant. After all the years of their pompous attitudes, a concession by the vast majority of super ego Tennessee fans would probably put an end to our interests in anything Tennessee forever. Or at least until they show indications that they're capable of living up to their boasting.
Well good luck with that - I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Margo "concession" video anytime soon though.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Notre Dame, Connecticut and Stanford have done an exceptional job developing talent and helping players reach their potential. I'll admit Tennessee the last several years has not done as good of a job, but to say Tennessee seldom develops talent is just wrong. Look at Isabelle Harrison and her transformation from a mediocre freshman to one of the nation's top post players. Besides her, off the top of my head I can name Nicky Anosike, Candace Parker, Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen, Sidney Spencer, And Shanna Zolman as players in the last decade who improved immensely throughout their career at Tennessee. Even Ariel Massengale lead improved significantly over her time at UT and still has a year left. The recent track record of player development does not match UCONN's, I'm not arguing that. But Tennessee does develop talent better than the majority of schools in the nation.
Izzy has improved greatly at Tennessee, but there have been many highly regarded players who didn't fare as well, and I believe that's from where these impressions arise. The most prominent example is the recruiting class of 2008, which on paper was one of the best ever. Tennessee brought in 5 players ranked in the top 20 by Hoopgurlz (#3 Glory Johnson, #4 Amber Gray, #8 Shekinna Stricklen, #15 Alicia Manning, and #20 Alyssia Brewer), but they never reached the FF. It is uncertain how much of this underachievement can be pinned to the mental health of coach Summitt, but it is likely to have been important factor. The class of 2011 enters their senior season having mixed results. 29th ranked (Hoopsgurlz) Izzy Harrison has been a most pleasant surprise, but #3 Cierra Burdick and #4 Ariel Massengale have underachieved thus far, with Massengale a victim of concussions. Again, no FF's thus far with one more year to go. I'm neither a Lady Vols fan nor a Huskies fan, but as a fan of WCBB, I look forward to seeing the Vols again as a NC contender, just as long as you cannot beat the Irish in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I agree that it WAS but there's nothing to suggest that it would be again, or at least not at this moment. I'm inclined to think that there is a lot more interest in UConn/Notre Dame than there would be UConn/Tennessee. I will concede that were we to play again, the first game might have an aura about it (based more on nostalgia than the game itself) but that wouldn't last very long. Some of that would be due to the fact that the Tennessee coach doesn't have the gravitas that Pat Summit had. The coaches were part of the story!

What you say is absolutely true. But the history is there and I don't think it would take very much to re-ignite the mutual loathing these two teams had for one another. Especially if Tennessee comes back to true national prominence. Right now I think they're still riding Pat Summitt's legacy.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Izzy has improved greatly at Tennessee, but there have been many highly regarded players who didn't fare as well, and I believe that's from where these impressions arise. The most prominent example is the recruiting class of 2008, which on paper was one of the best ever. Tennessee brought in 5 players ranked in the top 20 by Hoopgurlz (#3 Glory Johnson, #4 Amber Gray, #8 Shekinna Stricklen, #15 Alicia Manning, and #20 Alyssia Brewer), but they never reached the FF. It is uncertain how much of this underachievement can be pinned to the mental health of coach Summitt, but it is likely to have been important factor. The class of 2011 enters their senior season having mixed results. 29th ranked (Hoopsgurlz) Izzy Harrison has been a most pleasant surprise, but #3 Cierra Burdick and #4 Ariel Massengale have underachieved thus far, with Massengale a victim of concussions. Again, no FF's thus far with one more year to go. I'm neither a Lady Vols fan nor a Huskies fan, but as a fan of WCBB, I look forward to seeing the Vols again as a NC contender, just as long as you cannot beat the Irish in the tournament.

I agree that on a team level Tennessee has underachieved the last 6 years compared to how most people thought they'd pan out. Individually there are players who have underachieved, but I don't see a pattern of players underachieving at Tennessee like how some people on this board suggest. If you look at the 2008 class, Gray's illness ruined her career, Johnson and Stricklen both were All-Americans who have made it in the WNBA (Johnson is an All Star now), Brewer had a great sophomore season then had the freak candlestick cut that set her back as a junior before she transferred as a senior. Manning was a very good role player for Tennessee as the #12 overall recruit.

Many of UT's top recruits have also been hampered with injuries. Look at the list of former top 10 recruits who have suffered injuries that were season ending:
Candace Parker
Sa'de Wiley Gatewood
Alex Fuller
Ariel Massengale
Amber Gray
Vicki Baugh
Kelley Cain
Loree Moore
Alexis Hornbuckle (came back in tournament but had very minimal ability in her injured wrist)

All of these injuries happened in the last decade, too.

It's also worth noting that Tennessee's last 2 top rated classes (2008 and 2011) were 2 incredibly weak classes overall in women's college basketball. Only 4 players from the Class of 2008 were on the WBCA All-America team in 2012 (Glory Johnson, Shenise Johnson, Nneka and EDD who finished with the 2013 class) and the 2011 class has had just 2 All Americans (Williams and KML.) So having a top class in these years isn't comparable to having the top class in a year like 2010 or 2012.

I know these are excuses for Tennessee's shortcomings and are far from the sole reason why Tennessee has underachieved, but Tennessee has had more than its share of bad luck.

JS

Reaction Score

CERTIFICATE OF COMMENDATION

to

BBALLNUT90

for outstanding service as a visiting poster

WHEREAS, bballnut90 ("bballnut") has long been a Tennessee fan posting on the Boneyard; and

WHEREAS, bballnut has managed to address issues substantively rather than respond in kind to the more emotional topics and opinions raised by some Boneyarders; and

WHEREAS, bballnut has been an excellent suggester of topics for discussion; and

WHEREAS, none of the foregoing is easy given the automatic suspicion of some here that any courteous behavior by Tennessee fans is only to mask their inner loathsomeness.

NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of bballnut's outstanding contributions, we extend this Commendation this 9th day of August, 2014.

THE BONEYARD POWERS THAT BE

JS
By: __________________________​

Reaction Score
I agree that on a team level Tennessee has underachieved the last 6 years compared to how most people thought they'd pan out. Individually there are players who have underachieved, but I don't see a pattern of players underachieving at Tennessee like how some people on this board suggest. If you look at the 2008 class, Gray's illness ruined her career, Johnson and Stricklen both were All-Americans who have made it in the WNBA (Johnson is an All Star now), Brewer had a great sophomore season then had the freak candlestick cut that set her back as a junior before she transferred as a senior. Manning was a very good role player for Tennessee as the #12 overall recruit.

Many of UT's top recruits have also been hampered with injuries. Look at the list of former top 10 recruits who have suffered injuries that were season ending:
Candace Parker
Sa'de Wiley Gatewood
Alex Fuller
Ariel Massengale
Amber Gray
Vicki Baugh
Kelley Cain
Loree Moore
Alexis Hornbuckle (came back in tournament but had very minimal ability in her injured wrist)

All of these injuries happened in the last decade, too.

It's also worth noting that Tennessee's last 2 top rated classes (2008 and 2011) were 2 incredibly weak classes overall in women's college basketball. Only 4 players from the Class of 2008 were on the WBCA All-America team in 2012 (Glory Johnson, Shenise Johnson, Nneka and EDD who finished with the 2013 class) and the 2011 class has had just 2 All Americans (Williams and KML.) So having a top class in these years isn't comparable to having the top class in a year like 2010 or 2012.

I know these are excuses for Tennessee's shortcomings and are far from the sole reason why Tennessee has underachieved, but Tennessee has had more than its share of bad luck.

You've brought up a number of reasons for Tennessee's recent situation and laid them out in a logical format. Which leads me to ask you, as a Lady Vol fan, this. If "these are excuses for Tennessee's shortcomings and are far from the sole reason why Tennessee has underachieved" then what is, in your opinion, the primary reason for Tennessee's underachievement the last 6 years ?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You've brought up a number of reasons for Tennessee's recent situation and laid them out in a logical format. Which leads me to ask you, as a Lady Vol fan, this. If "these are excuses for Tennessee's shortcomings and are far from the sole reason why Tennessee has underachieved" then what is, in your opinion, the primary reason for Tennessee's underachievement the last 6 years ?

Injuries, lacking a superstar talent to bail out the offense, and no killer instinct.

In 2009 Tennessee was all freshmen and Fuller/Bjorklund, neither of whom made big contributions in meaningful minutes until this season. Tennessee lost their most coveted class ever that year, so while I don't think people expected Tennessee to be as bad as they were, they were never truly expected to be a championship contender/Final Four threat.

In 2010 and 2011, Tennessee fielded very good teams. 32-3 and 34-3 records with some big wins against good teams, not to mention 2 SEC Regular Season and tournament championships. In 2010 they had a lead on Baylor relatively late in the game before crumbling down the stretch. In 2011 Tennessee had a Final Four caliber team but they ran into Skylar Diggins in the Elite 8 (something you guys found out about at the Final Four that year... 2012 was hampered by Pat's illness/so much uncertainty about Tennessee's future, 2013 was expected to be a rebuilding year for Tennessee but they had an overachieving season, winning the SEC and making the Elite 8, 2 achievements no one expected. 2014 was arguably the most disappointing season of the 6 considering how badly they were beat by Maryland and how outside of Massengale and Harrison, no one else had a great season despite winning the SEC Tournament and earning a #1 seed. The offense was dreadful and even with a strong trio of posts, Tennessee's offense continued to be the Meighan Simmons show.

Going forward, DeShields gives Tennessee its best talent since Candace Parker. Russell and Graves remain mysteries, how they develop remains to be seen. Nared and Tucker are 2 highly touted recruits that will suit up this year, and Massengale should be healthy to lead this team at the point guard position. I'm hoping for the best but realistic enough to see that Tennessee really doesn't have a chance to win the title until DeShields suits up.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

CERTIFICATE OF COMMENDATION

to

BBALLNUT90

for outstanding service as a visiting poster

WHEREAS, bballnut90 ("bballnut") has long been a Tennessee fan posting on the Boneyard; and

WHEREAS, bballnut has managed to address issues substantively rather than respond in kind to the more emotional topics and opinions raised by some Boneyarders; and

WHEREAS, bballnut has been an excellent suggester of topics for discussion; and

WHEREAS, none of the foregoing is easy given the automatic suspicion of some here that any courteous behavior by Tennessee fans is only to mask their inner loathsomeness.

NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of bballnut's outstanding contributions, we extend this Commendation this 9th day of August, 2014.

THE BONEYARD POWERS THAT BE

JS
By: __________________________​
Haha thanks, JS! Appreciate it!

Reaction Score
Injuries, lacking a superstar talent to bail out the offense, and no killer instinct.

In 2009 Tennessee was all freshmen and Fuller/Bjorklund, neither of whom made big contributions in meaningful minutes until this season. Tennessee lost their most coveted class ever that year, so while I don't think people expected Tennessee to be as bad as they were, they were never truly expected to be a championship contender/Final Four threat.

In 2010 and 2011, Tennessee fielded very good teams. 32-3 and 34-3 records with some big wins against good teams, not to mention 2 SEC Regular Season and tournament championships. In 2010 they had a lead on Baylor relatively late in the game before crumbling down the stretch. In 2011 Tennessee had a Final Four caliber team but they ran into Skylar Diggins in the Elite 8 (something you guys found out about at the Final Four that year... 2012 was hampered by Pat's illness/so much uncertainty about Tennessee's future, 2013 was expected to be a rebuilding year for Tennessee but they had an overachieving season, winning the SEC and making the Elite 8, 2 achievements no one expected. 2014 was arguably the most disappointing season of the 6 considering how badly they were beat by Maryland and how outside of Massengale and Harrison, no one else had a great season despite winning the SEC Tournament and earning a #1 seed. The offense was dreadful and even with a strong trio of posts, Tennessee's offense continued to be the Meighan Simmons show.

Going forward, DeShields gives Tennessee its best talent since Candace Parker. Russell and Graves remain mysteries, how they develop remains to be seen. Nared and Tucker are 2 highly touted recruits that will suit up this year, and Massengale should be healthy to lead this team at the point guard position. I'm hoping for the best but realistic enough to see that Tennessee really doesn't have a chance to win the title until DeShields suits up.

Now I'm really confused. I can't tell, by your comments, if you think Tennessee underachieved in those years or not.
In 2009, Tennessee was the #5 seed in their Regional and lost to Ball St., the # 12 seed, in the first round by 16 pts.
In 2010, Tennessee was the #1 seed in their Regional and lost to Baylor, the #4 seed, in the sweet 16 by 15 pts..
In 2011, Tennessee was the #1 seed in their Regional and lost to ND, the #2 seed, in the elite 8 by 14 pts.
In 2013, Tennessee was the #2 seed in their Regional and lost to Louisville, the #5 seed, in the elite 8 by 8 pts.
In 2014, Tennessee was the #1 seed in their Regional and lost to Maryland, the # 4 seed, in the sweet 16 by 11 pts,
So in 5 0f the last 6 years (2012 being the exception) Tennessee lost to a lower ranked team in the NCAA's and by a lot with zero wins against higher ranked or even closely ranked teams in that 6 year period. I would say that is a fairly consistent record of underachievement, certainly in the NCAA's it is. I can understand not expecting a National Championship in those years but I don't see how a Tennessee fan wouldn't expect to win every one of the games listed. The only way Tennessee did not underachieve in those 5 seasons is if Lady Vol fans are satisfied with winning in the SEC and not on a national level. And I can't believe expectations have fallen that far.

Reaction Score
bballnut90, I'm going to speak somewhat in generalities because its easy to pick out specific facts and use them to prove a point, but I think the problems here are more of a general nature occurring over a long period of time.

Many players who were successful in the WNBA were not so great while at Tennessee. They blossomed after leaving college. To me this means lack of development or misuse by the coaching staff.

Yes, Tenn had injuries, but so did most other teams. One we're familiar with here, lost two key players and still won a National Championship. I believe Tenn had good enough players to succeed without many of your injured players, but the coaches couldn't react to overcome the injuries.

If there were weak classes, didn't all teams suffer? Why would that hurt TN worse than others? All that is needed is to pick the best available players for your team.

I'm surprised you aren't mentioning coaching in your reasons for underachievement. To me that's the key. The art of recruiting the right players and dealing with the many complexities of 17 & 18 year old kids is what's needed to build a lasting successful program. A good coach must be many things and very few can master all aspects of what is needed.

There is much talk of Holly being a new coach. But she's really not. She was there with Pat every step of the way and should have picked up enough to slide right in after Pat retired. If she wasn't learning what she needed to know, she should have left long ago to acquire the needed skills. It always seemed to me that Holly was Pat's gofer. She was never trained to take over the program. It seemed as though Pat ran the entire show and when she left, the team was rudderless. In short, I feel the biggest need for Tenn to be successful is better coaching. I say this because whenever I see Holly, I have to just shake my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom