As Rutgers Rejoices in its Big Ten Status, Connecticut Left to Wonder What If | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As Rutgers Rejoices in its Big Ten Status, Connecticut Left to Wonder What If

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ruthetiger said:
1 example????

The average for the season was 46k+, and that's over a period of 12 games. 1 game is a small sample, and that's why they call it sample. A more accurate description would be over 12 games. That would be population. Sample is not that accurate and it really doesn't tell the story of what the actual numbers are.

Would you say your 1 game against Michigan gave an accurate description of each and every capacity crowd? No.

Were talking about how RU counts attendance. Not the total average. If one game shows an obvious difference in announced attendance and actual attendance that's all that is necessary to reasonably conclude RU does not count butts in seat.

I'll leave it at that. If you can't comprehend there is no point in further debating.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How do you know? Support your argument. We do have a bigger stadium, so that number is not impossible.

1) Unless it is a sell-out, a fact of the sports entertainment industry is that they inflate attendance figures by a non-noticeable number (usually about 10% of those who actually show up).
2) See photos above. In order to average 46k, more than 46k have to be in attendance for a few games to off set the games where less than 46k are present.
3) Then there is this:

The Rutgers fanbase has drawn criticism for arriving late and leaving early. It will be borne out whether it is the case Saturday night with a bowl game on the line against South Florida, but this afternoon three weeks ago was no different. The announced attendance was 40,870 people but that number seemed high at kickoff....But attendence has risen over the last four years at Rutgers. The school averaged 46,195 fans during the 2010 season and hit a high of 49,188 last year. This year, 48,034 fans is the official number.

Yet the number may be more nominal than actual tickets sold. A Gannett New Jersey report said that the school gave away so many complimentary tickets that it accounted for 20 percent of the stadium's capacity.
link

At the end of the day, you can dismiss anything I present as anecdotal because it is not in the decision-makers interest to tell the entire truth, vis a vie attendance.

I do know this however: a free ticket (anything free for that matter) every once in a while will be used because it is appreciated. A constant bombardment (as in 20% of a stadium's capacity) will be taken for granted and not worth the laminate paper it's printed on.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was really bored at work so I created an account to reply to him, not that it would do any good, and I'm sure others could have said more but his uneducated comments struck a nerve.
Jerry, is there a place I can reach you?

Reaction Score
WM: " I would rather be in our conference and win them all, rather than being in another conference." Any comments to this statement? Knife to the heart as I see it.
When Warde speaks, I wish he would just follow Lincoln's advice: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Reaction Score
The argument in the comment stated per game. So your argument, although well slanted, mentions per game. There's a difference.

You can state anything you would like. The bottom line is that per game total average is pretty accurate. Now you do have a point in counting butts in seats, but here's where, again your argument is slanted, show the attendance at the beginnings of games as opposed to toward the end of games. You're not there so naturally you wouldn't care to know, just like I wouldn't make a slanted argument towards your counted attendance. I wouldn't know.

Reaction Score
What fishy described in his post has been my/all of our anxieties since this started. Its why we were incensed about the lack of urgency going on at the virgin islands. The situation today is no more bleaker than it was the day Louisville was picked over us. UConn really only has till exit fees dry up to find a way out. After will watch as Ollie, and Diaco move on and they are replaced by coaches making 500k, and looking for their next job when hired.

I've never bought into "uconn is going to be fine" talk. Our position is perilous and I think we've somehow convinced ourselves it isn't too bad due to the dual national championships of this past spring.

Reaction Score
[Q"Husky25, post: 1005693, member: 2839"]1) Unless it is a sell-out, a fact of the sports entertainment industry is that they inflate attendance figures by a non-noticeable number (usually about 10% of those who actually show up).
2) See photos above. In order to average 46k, more than 46k have to be in attendance for a few games to off set the games where less than 46k are present.
3) Then there is this:

link

At the end of the day, you can dismiss anything I present as anecdotal because it is not in the decision-makers interest to tell the entire truth, vis a vie attendance.

I do know this however: a free ticket (anything free for that matter) every once in a while will be used because it is appreciated. A constant bombardment (as in 20% of a stadium's capacity) will be taken for granted and not worth the laminate paper it's printed on.[/QUOTE]
That's an excellent point. One in which cannot be debated.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Also, Rutgers fans: don't you have anything better to do than to get into internet arguments over something as meaningless as attendance on a UConn message board?

You won the lottery.. you're in the Big ten and have a secure athletic future with a chance to turn your programs around, yet you're here arguing attendance figures?

Reaction Score
The argument in the comment stated per game. So your argument, although well slanted, mentions per game. There's a difference.

You can state anything you would like. The bottom line is that per game total average is pretty accurate. Now you do have a point in counting butts in seats, but here's where, again your argument is slanted, show the attendance at the beginnings of games as opposed to toward the end of games. You're not there so naturally you wouldn't care to know, just like I wouldn't make a slanted argument towards your counted attendance. I wouldn't know.
My comment above should apply to Rutgers fans in general as well.

Reaction Score

rutgers.jpg
You didn't mention that this was Halloween and a lot of Rutgers fans decided to dress as empty seats. Pretty cool idea if you ask me.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's simple. UCONN fans have to buy football tickets. Even if the team struggles, the Rent needs to have a pulse again. Without football, there is zero chance of leaving the AAC.

Buy season tickets, mini plans or single game tickets to home games.

Go to Yankee Stadium for UCONN vs. Army.

Try to go to at least 1 road game.

If UCONN fans can do some of these, we can begin to turn around the negative perception out there. Every team's attendance struggles with a lousy coach/record. But we have to be a fanbase that will come back.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I know the official mindset is supposed to be 'we're UConn...it will all work out', but the math is just scary...

The ACC is going to pull down about $18M a year. Syracuse and Pitt will make, say, $180M over the next decade. We'll make about $17M.

That extra $163M will be a hell of an advantage.

And then there is Rutgers. Their list of accomplishments doesn't have an ending because it doesn't have a beginning yet - they've won nothing.

But how do we compete for players and oxygen when they might have an extra $330-350M to play with over the next ten years and are part of a collective that makes the rules to benefit its members?

Whether they call it division IV or not, it's here. Long term, as we all know, we need to be on the other side of the dividing line. This side is a slow death.

This is what I think of every time I read a Fishy post on the CR board....

debbie-downer.gif

Reaction Score
I put some stock in that. Some A-10 basketball schools made their names by winning that conference (UMass, Bonnies, St. Joe's), while they may not have done so well in a better conference. Before all these fans suddenly started believing that it was all about CR and espn and tv and money, they used to want to see their teams win. So yeah, I think playing teams in the AAC competitively and winning is better in some respects than playing B1G and getting crushed. We used to go to the Yale Bowl and hope to beat Yale. That was a freaking riot. Now we don't even play Yale. From a fan's perspective, you could argue playing local teams (roadtrips) like Army, Holy Cross, UMass would be more fun than playing anyone big time and always having to watch on tv.

Those Yale games were so much freakin' fun. The tailgating was the best I've ever experienced. Some years we never actually went inside the Bowl and we were not alone. On the occasion we actually went inside, we'd get sooo sunburned.

It is too bad the Ivy league is so weak, the Carm Coza years are long gone in New Haven. Ivy league teams can't compete against FBS schools.

Forget the game, they should designate a day to tailgate in New Haven ;).

Reaction Score
It's simple. UCONN fans have to buy football tickets. Even if the team struggles, the Rent needs to have a pulse again. Without football, there is zero chance of leaving the AAC.

Buy season tickets, mini plans or single game tickets to home games.

Go to Yankee Stadium for UCONN vs. Army.

Try to go to at least 1 road game.

If UCONN fans can do some of these, we can begin to turn around the negative perception out there. Every team's attendance struggles with a lousy coach/record. But we have to be a fanbase that will come back.

And for God's sake have FUN. Enjoy the day. Don't show up wearing "CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT" shirts, which I understand are now available.

Play with the hand you are dealt. Cinnci crys and screams about being in the AAC, hasn't done them a whole lotta good has it?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What fishy described in his post has been my/all of our anxieties since this started. Its why we were incensed about the lack of urgency going on at the virgin islands. The situation today is no more bleaker than it was the day Louisville was picked over us. UConn really only has till exit fees dry up to find a way out. After will watch as Ollie, and Diaco move on and they are replaced by coaches making 500k, and looking for their next job when hired.

I've never bought into "uconn is going to be fine" talk. Our position is perilous and I think we've somehow convinced ourselves it isn't too bad due to the dual national championships of this past spring.
They criticize me here when I post like you just did. But it is factual. The dual championships made no difference. Despite what others say, our AD and President flubbed their chance to save UConn. B1G talk is a dream, nothing more. Two years have passed since the Louisville debacle, and there has been apparently been no progress on getting UConn back to P5 conference.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Two years have passed since the Louisville debacle, and there has been apparently been no progress on getting UConn back to P5 conference.
How do you know this? Honestly, no one on this board knows anything more then the next guy. It's that simple. Sure, I'd love it if tomorrow I woke up and found out that we're going to a P5 conference. I don't even care if it's the Pac-12! However, to claim that there's no progress is just asinine. No one had a clue RU or UMD were going to the B1G yet BOOM! There it was on ESPN one day. So it's a pretty fair thing to say that we all have no clue either and it's very likely SH and WM are doing what they can.

Another thing, it's not like we can just call up the ACC or B1G and let them know we're ready for acceptance into their league. There's no desire to expand on their parts. Until there is, we're stuck in the AAC. Should a spot open up and we're still stuck here, then you might have a point. Until then, all we can do is dream....

Reaction Score
They criticize me here when I post like you just did. But it is factual. The dual championships made no difference. Despite what others say, our AD and President flubbed their chance to save UConn. B1G talk is a dream, nothing more. Two years have passed since the Louisville debacle, and there has been apparently been no progress on getting UConn back to P5 conference.

It is factual, but so is the fact that no amount bitching here is going to change our predicament, so personally I try to limit those types of posts to a few special occasions.

The next big thing to happen will be the O'Bannon case. Have to see what the fallout from that will be to see where we are at.

One thing I distinctly Herbst saying in the press when this began was that she didn't know if bussing student athletes to Iowa was in the school's or athletes best interest. Wonder what she would say about that comment today. I do think she misplayed conference realignment and how it would affect us athletically going forward but overall she seems like a godsend.

Reaction Score

People keep saying that it is the presidents who make the decisions regarding realignment, but it is clear from recent stories that the AD's of Louisville and Rutgers relied heavily on past personal relationships to lobby for their schools. It doesn't appear that Warde Manuel has those kinds of relationships or connections. Or maybe he just doesn't have them with people in the ACC. Or maybe it's because he is younger than those AD's and hasn't developed those relationships yet. It definitely was (is) a disadvantage.

Also read Herbst's September 18, 2011 email to Paul Pendergast after the news broke that Syracuse and Pitt were leaving:

"Hi Paul. I know that everyone wants to help UConn right now, but we are not desperate at all, and some patience is involved. The conference re-alignment is a presidential-level dynamic across the nation, and I am talking to to many presidents and commissioners."

I realize that Pendergast was only an interim AD. But you can see how that really put UConn at a disadvantage. The emails show that he has a sense of urgency, even had a meeting with the coaches. She told him that it wasn't necessary. The part about "we are not desperate at all", I can't even fathom.

So when Louisville happened, was she still taking the stand that realignment was at the presidential-level? That is clearly not what Louisville and Rutgers were doing.

Emails:
http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/282123-responsive-documents.html#document/p1

Reaction Score
Even the Georgetown President got it....

“It’s crucial to understand the significance that football plays in the American intercollegiate athletic landscape,” said Georgetown president Jack DeGioia on the Requiem for the Big East. “No matter how important basketball is in any university community, if they play football that is of incommensurate more importance.”

Reaction Score
Well, it proves how incompetent I am, I can't figure out how to do that! Can you send one to me?

I sent it. Look at the upper right of your screen and click inbox.

Reaction Score
tQUOTE="noeynox, post: 1005722, member: 156"]What fishy described in his post has been my/all of our anxieties since this started. Its why we were incensed about the lack of urgency going on at the virgin islands. The situation today is no more bleaker than it was the day Louisville was picked over us. UConn really only has till exit fees dry up to find a way out. After will watch as Ollie, and Diaco move on and they are replaced by coaches making 500k, and looking for their next job when hired.

I've never bought into "uconn is going to be fine" talk. Our position is perilous and I think we've somehow convinced ourselves it isn't too bad due to the dual national championships of this past spring.[/QUOTE]

I "like" your post because it is a candid assessment of where we are. UConn won't "be fine" until we escape the AAC. We can never stop pushing Warde et al that change is, not only necessary, but a job evaluation criterion (at this point maybe the only one).

I am confident that Diaco will do a good job. We already know the quality of KO and Geno. Coaching is solid. Now Warde must get up every damn day and engage in strategy to get out of the gulag. Until now, Warde et al have gotten the benefit of the doubt concerning CR. It has been stated that this is out of our control or that is out of our control etc. As I have posted, though - while failure is an orphan, success has a thousand fathers. Right now we are in a "failure" phase of CR and benefit of the doubt has been granted. Failure has been blamed on things out of our control. Nobody has come forward to say this could have been different if only "I" did... Nor would you expect it. However, rest assured, if the B1G or another P-5 conference called tomorrow, UConn's top brass would be elbowing their way to the front of the press conference to beam in the klieg light of publicity. (And I bet Blumenthal would show up too.) But now the rubber has met the road . Now's the time to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom