As Rutgers Rejoices in its Big Ten Status, Connecticut Left to Wonder What If | The Boneyard

As Rutgers Rejoices in its Big Ten Status, Connecticut Left to Wonder What If

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There's a lot of misconceptions in the comments section of this article. That is the biggest problem with UConn to the Big Ten rumors. UConn gets great press in the Midwest, but the fans don't pay attention to anything east of University Park and even that is being generous. Rutgers averages 46.5K butts in seats in Julie Hermann's (and Jim Delany's) dreams. That number is tickets distributed, including those distributed to the circular file.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
One of the comments said facilities were holding us back and I had to stop reading. The actual post was pretty good though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
One of the comments said facilities were holding us back and I had to stop reading. The actual post was pretty good though.
They think facilities is the stadium. No one outside the region even considers the Burton Family/Shenkman Center or that the football offices were housed in tractor trailers and the players worked out next to frat guys in the field house as recently as a decade ago.

Reaction Score
JPFBUCK tried to sound real smart by throwing out misinformation.

Reaction Score
Every little bit of visibility helps, and perhaps even the guy who doesn't realize we have some of the better facilities around learned something new.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Another reason why UCONN needs to show something (float some artist sketches or something) in terms of expanding the Rent. We don't have to commit to doing it necessarily (not yet, anyway), but people out there need to know what UCONN can become. That includes our football stadium. You throw some artists sketches of a nice 60K stadium with enclosed sports bar and 2 HD video boards out there and now people start to think positively of UCONN. I know these are just fans who don't know the ins and outs of UCONN. But if there are fans out there that think this way, there are also people out there with actual CR power who might not know either. You put something positive out there about stadium expansion, national press picks it up, fans see it and start talking, people in power hear what fans/media say and think "hmmmm".

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
When UConn and Syracuse come to town, they take over the city. The most recent example was the East regional, when Husky faithful gave their team a home-court advantage at Madison Square Garden. The New York Times made a bold statement in April, criticizing the Big Ten for blowing its opportunity to make an impact in the city.

It's nice to see somebody from the midwest say what we all know: NYC is a two-school town. UCONN and our Upstate New York r1vals.

Reaction Score
WM: " I would rather be in our conference and win them all, rather than being in another conference." Any comments to this statement? Knife to the heart as I see it.

Reaction Score
WM: " I would rather be in our conference and win them all, rather than being in another conference." Any comments to this statement? Knife to the heart as I see it.
I put some stock in that. Some A-10 basketball schools made their names by winning that conference (UMass, Bonnies, St. Joe's), while they may not have done so well in a better conference. Before all these fans suddenly started believing that it was all about CR and espn and tv and money, they used to want to see their teams win. So yeah, I think playing teams in the AAC competitively and winning is better in some respects than playing B1G and getting crushed. We used to go to the Yale Bowl and hope to beat Yale. That was a freaking riot. Now we don't even play Yale. From a fan's perspective, you could argue playing local teams (roadtrips) like Army, Holy Cross, UMass would be more fun than playing anyone big time and always having to watch on tv.

Reaction Score

Depends on what he means by win them all.

Win the national championship? Yeah. I would too.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As much as the loss of rivalries suck and the monetary competitive disadvantage will hurt us, I still could live with the whole thing if this P5 garbage and forming a new division wasn't hanging over our heads. I think hoops will be fine in its given state and we can compete regionally still in football, but who knows if we're marginalized down to a subdivision officially.

Reaction Score
[QUOTEHusky25, post: 1004971, member: 2839"]There's a lot of misconceptions in the comments section of this article. That is the biggest problem with UConn to the Big Ten rumors. UConn gets great press in the Midwest, but the fans don't pay attention to anything east of University Park and even that is being generous. Rutgers averages 46.5K butts in seats in Julie Hermann's (and Jim Delany's) dreams. That number is tickets distributed, including those distributed to the circular file.[/QUOTE]

How do you know? Support your argument. We do have a bigger stadium, so that number is not impossible.

Reaction Score

rutgers.jpg

Reaction Score
[E="buddy, post: 1005249, member: 3489"]WM: " I would rather be in our conference and win them all, rather than being in another conference." Any comments to this statement? Knife to the heart as I see it.[/QUOTE]

Manuel Should STFU.

The AAC Will Hurt Us Soon Enough. Manuel Speaks And He Unfortunately Insults Our Collective Intelligence. I Find Him To Be Very Paternalistic And Don't Like It. Sure It's Great To Win, But Nobody Gives A About The God-forsaken AAC.

Reaction Score
Lol. OK. Not bad. 1 game probably against an HBCU. Where are your other 11 games to prove your point.

Reaction Score
Lol. OK. Not bad. 1 game probably against an HBCU. Where are your other 11 games to prove your point.

That was against Cinci.

Here is what 49,111 looks like against Norfolk State though. Actually pretty good considering its half time. But there still isn't 50k in that stadium.
103806441_crop_650x440.jpg

Reaction Score
That was against Cinci.

Here is what 49,111 looks like against Norfolk State though. Actually pretty good considering its half time. But there still isn't 50k in that stadium.
103806441_crop_650x440.jpg
Ya got 10 more pics to go.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As much as the loss of rivalries suck and the monetary competitive disadvantage will hurt us, I still could live with the whole thing if this P5 garbage and forming a new division wasn't hanging over our heads. I think hoops will be fine in its given state and we can compete regionally still in football, but who knows if we're marginalized down to a subdivision officially.

I know the official mindset is supposed to be 'we're UConn...it will all work out', but the math is just scary...

The ACC is going to pull down about $18M a year. Syracuse and Pitt will make, say, $180M over the next decade. We'll make about $17M.

That extra $163M will be a hell of an advantage.

And then there is Rutgers. Their list of accomplishments doesn't have an ending because it doesn't have a beginning yet - they've won nothing.

But how do we compete for players and oxygen when they might have an extra $330-350M to play with over the next ten years and are part of a collective that makes the rules to benefit its members?

Whether they call it division IV or not, it's here. Long term, as we all know, we need to be on the other side of the dividing line. This side is a slow death.

Reaction Score
It only takes one to show what you debated.

Surely you must prove your mathematical skills with all 12 photos. Besides, you put it out there so prove your point with all 12 pics to substantiate your argument. I'm sure it is no problem.

Reaction Score
ruthetiger said:
Surely you must prove your mathematical skills with all 12 photos. Besides, you put it out there so prove your point with all 12 pics to substantiate your argument. I'm sure it is no problem.

Actually husky25 put it out there. I was curious to see who was right. It only takes one example to show RU does not count butts in seats.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I know the official mindset is supposed to be 'we're UConn...it will all work out', but the math is just scary...

The ACC is going to pull down about $18M a year. Syracuse and Pitt will make, say, $180M over the next decade. We'll make about $17M.

That extra $163M will be a hell of an advantage.

And then there is Rutgers. Their list of accomplishments doesn't have an ending because it doesn't have a beginning yet - they've won nothing.

But how do we compete for players and oxygen when they might have an extra $330-350M to play with over the next ten years and are part of a collective that makes the rules to benefit its members?

Whether they call it division IV or not, it's here. Long term, as we all know, we need to be on the other side of the dividing line. This side is a slow death.

Slow death is the best way to put it.

We have the facilities in basketball and football to compete right now, which is great.. However, with the stipends and coaches salaries likely to increase, it'll be tough to compete.

Still shocking we are where we are - hope for a Big12 implosion everyday as the most likely life raft.

Reaction Score
Actually husky25 put it out there. I was curious to see who was right. It only takes one example to show RU does not count butts in seats.
1 example????

The average for the season was 46k+, and that's over a period of 12 games. 1 game is a small sample, and that's why they call it sample. A more accurate description would be over 12 games. That would be population. Sample is not that accurate and it really doesn't tell the story of what the actual numbers are.

Would you say your 1 game against Michigan gave an accurate description of each and every capacity crowd? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom