As poorly as UConn played, they had their chances of pulling this one out. | The Boneyard

As poorly as UConn played, they had their chances of pulling this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apart from the obvious (TOs, RBs, poor execution on both ends) throughout 3/4th of the game, they demise was not executing well during winning time while Pitt did.

They tied it with about 4 1/2 to go, but gut burnt on a couple pick-roll-and-pops (3s) twice that was their undoing.

I love how KO is coaching this team, but I don't understand why he took Wolf out at the 2:47 mark and never put him back in. He was disrupting the middle on D a lot better than Olander was and was very good at passing it out from the post to open shooters or drivers. I'm not saying that would have made a big difference. Pitt was already starting to pull away.

Not fouling with about 45 to go down by 4, wasn't smart. I can see them trying to go for the steal in the backcourt and maybe even the 10 second count, but they still didn't foul right away after they crossed half court. I thought they should have fouled right away and tried to extend the game. Either a bad decision by KO, who I rarely criticize, or poor execution by the players who didn't do what their coach asked.

I think if we had a healthy Bazz and didn't play such a horrible first 3/4sth of that game, we pull this one out. Props to Pitt for making plays when they had to.

I like how our guys usually compete hard and show a lot of mental toughness. They just need to put two solid halves together like they had been most of the season.

Reaction Score
real solid effort coming all the way back to tie it up, too bad they couldn't pull out the W. couldn't believe this line was 10.5! I'm sure it was due to Shabazz's health but jeeze i figured it would be around 7 and im rarely over 3 points off with uconn spreads.

Reaction Score
I realize it's my own Calhoun Hangover and I've said a few times already, but wow, at some point I'd really like to see more fire out of KO. Some of the easy buckets and sloppy play seems to be readily accepted and his demeanor on the sidelines is just so cool and poised....almost TOO cool and poised.

Reaction Score
Idk. Looking at our schedule these first 5 Big East games were going to be a rough stretch. Also going into the season you had to realize this team was going to lose back to back games at some point and playing Louisville and AT Pitt is no cup of tea. I honestly have no problem with where this team is right now. They have played pretty hard every game up to this point and came out with some really good wins vs MSU and at ND.

Reaction Score
They appear to be through the roughest stretch I the schedule. They still have some tough games out there, but they have a stretch coming up now that they can hopefully string together some victories.

Reaction Score
"as poorly as UConn played" The post could have ended there.

Reaction Score
we get it palatine there are no moral victories and nothing of importance can ever be taken from any loss

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
My only guess is that Ollie was gambling on there being OT and didn't want Wolf to foul out beforehand. Not a good strategy, but that's all I can think of.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Wolf needs to be on the floor as long as he isn't in danger of fouling out.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Gave up too many easy baskets and too many offensive rebounds. That's all.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
My view, UConn played 20 minutes. Pitt played 23 minutes and 35 seconds or so. That was the difference. We palyed solid in the 2nd half but seemed utterly confused by the 2-3 zone in the first half. Pitt played much more man in the 2nd half, too. We seemed able to make things happen, or rather Boatright did, when they were in man to man. I do think that Shabazz's injury was a problem, too. He clearly couldn't drive and was reduced to trying to shoot from long range. And our bigs are just not strong enough to handle Pitt's front line I didn't think. Even when they had position, they couldn't hold it. Wolf is tall but not particularly bulky, Daniels is really more of a 3 trying to play against more powerful guys and the same holds true for Calhoun. It really showed up against Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom