As Maya doesn't play PG, this isn't much help in the MVP debate but.... | The Boneyard

As Maya doesn't play PG, this isn't much help in the MVP debate but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is also irrelevant in an MVP debate since a PG has never been named MVP in the WNBA.

It is nice how Ms Hammon is creating all this positive buzz. There was a very heated discussion, most in passionate disagreement when she played for Russia in 2008.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is also irrelevant in an MVP debate since a PG has never been named MVP in the WNBA.

It is nice how Ms Hammon is creating all this positive buzz. There was a very heated discussion, most in passionate disagreement when she played for Russia in 2008.

I've never been a fan since she played for Russia. I know I should let it go but I can't.....yet.

Reaction Score
I've never been a fan since she played for Russia. I know I should let it go but I can't.....yet.

It is understandable. The Olympics used to be a true amateur sporting event of patriotism. While I cannot pinpoint the exact time during which it became totally professional, it is incredible how easily we have come to accept all the money these athletes are now making. We used to scoff at how Russia skated the amateur rules by insisting that their hockey team was part of the Red Army. The competition has gotten so that now it is impossible to be a part time athlete and expect to be compete at the Olympic level. If it has not been done already, it would be a nice gesture to posthumously give Jim Thorpe the Olympic medals stripped from him for playing professional baseball, a sport other than the ones in which he competed in the 1912 Olympics.

Reaction Score
It is understandable. The Olympics used to be a true amateur sporting event of patriotism. While I cannot pinpoint the exact time during which it became totally professional, it is incredible how easily we have come to accept all the money these athletes are now making. We used to scoff at how Russia skated the amateur rules by insisting that their hockey team was part of the Red Army. The competition has gotten so that now it is impossible to be a part time athlete and expect to be compete at the Olympic level. If it has not been done already, it would be a nice gesture to posthumously give Jim Thorpe the Olympic medals stripped from him for playing professional baseball, a sport other than the ones in which he competed in the 1912 Olympics.

I think it was when the college men got a bronze medal - but really got whipped - then the next Olympics The Dream Team was formed and it was looked upon with reverence.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Here, here!

Reaction Score
If it has not been done already, it would be a nice gesture to posthumously give Jim Thorpe the Olympic medals stripped from him for playing professional baseball, a sport other than the ones in which he competed in the 1912 Olympics.

His medals were reinstated by the IOC in the 80s, though his family didn't get back the actual physcial medals because they had been stolen at some point.

Interestingly, the appeal to the IOC succeeded not on the principle of the thing, as you suggested should be the case (and I agree), but on a technicality. Thorpe had been disqualified outside of the 30 day post-Olympics appeal window that was in the rules at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom