article:UConn's Rodney Purvis Set To Show Huskies What He's Got | The Boneyard

article:UConn's Rodney Purvis Set To Show Huskies What He's Got

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

You know, I had a hard time deciding which post to read - this one, or the one titled "Napier unfollows and deletes twitter messages from Lebron". I guess I chose right!

I've seen snippets of those comments posted elsewhere, but haven't seen them all in one article before. Thanks for the link. Now... back to twitter...:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It seems as though Kemba really started this mind set on our way to #3.
Yup! We can never forget that. This is Kembas legacy. Not just one guy but it permeates through the entire team. Kemba changed what it means to be a Husky and Bazz was his greatest disciple who embodied it through and through. Ollie is the perfect coach to make sure that legacy is passed on to the right kids for years to come.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Didn't Ollie come that same year we went on that run with Kemba?

Reaction Score
This is great stuff no doubt and it showed last year the way they bonded and it became stronger as the season wore down.

But the culture of being a Husky and wearing that uniform changed well before Kemba and Bazz. The fact they have a game at Mohegan tells you all you need to know about UConn culture!

Reaction Score
Rodney hasn't even stepped on the floor for UConn and he us already becoming a fan favorite. I cannot wait to see him in action.

Reaction Score
Its a champions mentality. Not many schools (if any) have it. We are so fortunate to have great leaders, continually passing it on.

Reaction Score
This is great stuff no doubt and it showed last year the way they bonded and it became stronger as the season wore down.

But the culture of being a Husky and wearing that uniform changed well before Kemba and Bazz. The fact they have a game at Mohegan tells you all you need to know about UConn culture!

Thanks for pointing this out. This culture already existed well before Kemba, although Kemba did a great job to continue it as did Bazz.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yeah, the fact that guys as old as old as Uncle Cliff (and on forward) come back religiously to live it up with the Huskies tells you all you need to know. This didn't start a couple of years ago.

I do, however, love the fact that Ollie, as a former player, is the bridge from JC and all the old guard to the new generation. That is very pleasing.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes, I believe that was his first year on the staff.
I believe there's a correlation to Kembas breakout year and Ollie joining the staff. Our guards have developed into the best in the country since. Boatright is up next ;)

Reaction Score
I'm also very excited to see him play. One of the things from the article that I picked up on was that he and Boat went at it after practice every night. We may have found one of the key reasons for RB's improvement in defense. His ability to defend so many high profile bigger guards in the tournament may have developed from this brotherly competition. It has been talked about quite a bit that having a great player on the bench to push the starters was one of Rodney's real contributions this year. But I don't think you can underestimate the value of daily (nightly) repetitions against a tremendously athletic and skilled guard that is several inches taller as well. This can only bode well for us in the coming season. As much as Lasan gave us coming in this year as an experienced senior talent, I think Rodney has an opportunity to do much more because he had the year of practice with the team and the experience with Ollie's system. I can't wait to see this year's team.

Reaction Score

I agree it changed many years ago but if you cant see the difference since Kemba your not paying close enough attention. He took it to a whole other level. since kemba set foot on campus we`ve been to 3 final fours and have two titles with our players becoming among the best student athletes in the country after years of not being so great. The change is on and off the court and its amazing to see.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree it changed many years ago but if you cant see the difference since Kemba your not paying close enough attention. He took it to a whole other level. since kemba set foot on campus we`ve been to 3 final fours and have two titles with our players becoming among the best student athletes in the country after years of not being so great. The change is on and off the court and its amazing to see.

Causation vs correlation. The causation happened up top. And remember we had one of the biggest team implosions in UCONN history in 2012. The brotherhood meter was stuck at zero. Easy to rewrite history

Reaction Score
As far as Rodney goes, we would have been elated 2 years ago if he had chosen the Huskies over the Wolfpack…………now we get him after one full year in the ACC and one full year of practicing with the National Champs………does it get any more exciting than that?

Reaction Score
Causation vs correlation. The causation happened up top. And remember we had one of the biggest team implosions in UCONN history in 2012. The brotherhood meter was stuck at zero. Easy to rewrite history

Because there were guys on that team that didnt have ten toes in and had no idea on what being a husky is about. Bazz made that clear after the loss to ISU when certain teamates were joking and laughing in the lockeroom after the game and he punched a locker and stormed out on an interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom