Article on Uconn Commit Joe Williams | The Boneyard

Article on Uconn Commit Joe Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.mcall.com/sports/columnists/groller/mc-aroundvalley-0108-20120109,0,1815386.column

"I am excited," Williams said on Sunday. "Coach [Hank] Hughes [UConn's assistant head coach and defensive line coach] talked to me during last track season. I had an unofficial visit there in June and I verbally committed right there. But they said I had to go to Fork Union for a half-year and if I did well and became eligible, I would be at UConn in January and that's what happened.

"I had a very productive season at Fork Union, both academically and on the field," Williams added.

Reaction Score
Very intriguing recruit. If his size and speed are listed correctly this could be a real find. Dare I say "Donaldesq"?

Reaction Score
In the "this is how a program grows" department, found this interesting.

He has been back at Emmaus several times recently and credits Green Hornets head coach Joe Bottiglieri and former Emmaus assistant and current Becahi head coach Joe Henrich as being very helpful in his making a connection with UConn. Henrich, who is still a guidance counselor at Emmaus, is a UConn alum.

My guess is that we are producing more high school coaches than ever before. I don't have a way to quantify this, but nonetheless, I believe it is true.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Joe Henrich article

A 1991 graduate of Emmaus High School, Henrich was an offensive lineman with the University of Connecticut before an injury cut short his collegiate career. Unable to play, he became a graduate assistant on Skip Holtz's Huskies staff in 1994, which began his coaching career.

Thanks Skip!

Reaction Score
No knock on Randy, but it's obvious we are getting involved and signing better kids Agree?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Joe Henrich article

A 1991 graduate of Emmaus High School, Henrich was an offensive lineman with the University of Connecticut before an injury cut short his collegiate career. Unable to play, he became a graduate assistant on Skip Holtz's Huskies staff in 1994, which began his coaching career.

Thanks Skip!
Goes to show how long it takes to lay a foundation!

Reaction Score
Can't agree until we see them play.

More highly recruited than most Edsall brought in let's say. This class brings with them many good accolades including the transfers.

Reaction Score
Maybe I did not always agree with his philosophy but Edsall was a good evaluator of talent. We are 63rd on Scout below BC and Duke. Cincy is 23 and WVA is 22. Cuse above us. South Fla only BE team below us. Feels about the same except the grabbing the QB' and the WR transfers.

Link.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2012

Reaction Score
More highly recruited than most Edsall brought in let's say. This class brings with them many good accolades including the transfers.

No question he is bringing in more highly recruited players. My hope is that they play well. Edsall had many faults. Talent evaluation was not one of them.

Reaction Score
No question he is bringing in more highly recruited players. My hope is that they play well. Edsall had many faults. Talent evaluation was not one of them.

Except at QB and WR, I'd agree with you. At the end of his tenure here I wondered how Edsall, a DI QB himself, struggled so much recruiting QBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom