Argo | The Boneyard

Argo

Reaction Score
Saw it in the movies and really liked it.

It is on HBO this month and saw it again. More impressed than even was first time at how it was so well done.

You know the outcome etc. but still very tense (granted the last airport scene was made up) but a great story. Loved the Arkin and Goodman characters.

Excellent movie.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agreed, good movie. Reminiscent, sadly, to see the late 70's clothes and hairstyles. Good grief, what were we thinking?

Reaction Score
I saw this movie again and I was stunned that it won a Best Picture. It just seems slightly above average to me, don't get me wrong it was a good movie but I think it will end up being like Shakespeare in Love and everyone will wonder why it won for quite some time. Silver Linings was a better movie in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I saw this movie again and I was stunned that it won a Best Picture. It just seems slightly above average to me, don't get me wrong it was a good movie but I think it will end up being like Shakespeare in Love and everyone will wonder why it won for quite some time. Silver Linings was a better movie in my opinion.

I don't think there were any "classics" or all time greats up for best movie last year. Alot of "really good" movies and Argo came out on top. It is not like it beat out Schindler's List.

Shakespeare in Love was really good but the controversy is it beat out an arguably all-time classic in Saving Private Ryan. Had it been a movie in last year's group and won over Argo and the others--nobody would have said anything. Just like nobody will say anything about Argo's win given the competition.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Shakespeare in Love was not bad, but it's a lame best picture. Saving Private Ryan was no doubt better, but that movie, like a lot of Spielberg movies, has a few jarringly stupid scenes.

It was just a crappy year for movies.

Last year was a pretty good year - there are a few movies that could have gotten the award. Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings, Life of Pi, etc. (Life of Pi and Beasts of the Southern Wild were perhaps my favorites.)

Reaction Score
I liked Thin Red Line more than Saving Private Ryan. The sound mix of SPR in the theater really made me not like it that much. Maybe at home I would like it more, but I have never gone back to watch it.

Reaction Score
Zero Dark Thirty was better,, deserved something, but having watched Argo a 2nd time most recently and a little closer (awake shall I say) it was much better than I initially pegged it.........

Reaction Score
I liked Thin Red Line more than Saving Private Ryan. The sound mix of SPR in the theater really made me not like it that much. Maybe at home I would like it more, but I have never gone back to watch it.

I generally like Terrence Malick movies, but I hated The Thin Red Line. Its depiction of "combat" was preposterous. Saving Private Ryan also managed to shoehorn in a lot of big name actors without it seeming gratuitous, unlike The Thin Red Line.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I thought Saving Private Ryan was a class or two above Thin Red Line.

I liked both Argo and Zero Dark Thirty, but I hate the amount of license directors take with historical movies. It seems many people will take the movie accounts as purely factual without further study. But movies are entertainment.

I also agree there were better choices than Argo for best picture.

Reaction Score
I read the The Thin Red Line. As a book it is amazing, but the movie wasn't nearly as strong. I think Clint Eastwood would have done a better job with it.

Reaction Score
I liked Argo, I think it's a good movie. That said, much of what transpires in the movie didn't actually happen. As mentioned earlier, the airport scene never happened, neither did the near riot at the bazaar. They were never close to being caught, they were never turned away by any embassy and the Canadian embassy was not about to close.

Good movie, but not historically accurate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just saw Argo this past weekend. I really enjoyed. It is well made. Tense in a Hitchcockian sense. Good to watch a thriller that doesn't involve disemboweling.

Reaction Score
I read the The Thin Red Line. As a book it is amazing, but the movie wasn't nearly as strong. I think Clint Eastwood would have done a better job with it.

I think you're absolutely correct. Malick is too much of a stylist for a combat movie. I'm sure Guadalcanal is very beautiful...when you're not starving and fighting for your life.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just finished watching Argo last night.

It is important to understand that movies that are "based on a true story" are not where one should glean their history. Movies skip over timelines, omit material facts, condense multiple people into composite characters for a better-than-real-life dramatization (i.e. artistic license). I think Argo would have been boring (as a movie) if it kept to the facts as they played out in history. I also think that Argo would not be received nearly as well had it just been a straight work of fiction (like say a Tom Clancy Novel) and not based on a true story. So, after a willing suspension of my disbelief, Argo was phenomenal. You want fact? Watch a documentary (nothing against Docs, which can be equally entertaining, but they are more centered closer to truth. Truth be told, I'm not finished watching docu-dramas until I log on to IMDB, or similar sites, to check out the trivia and goofs. That way I can see how close to real the reel was.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The scene where Stafford talks everyone past the Revolutionary Guard by describing the film they are making as an allegory for the overthrow of the Shah was brilliant. The reaction of the guards and the main interrogator was perfect. The first thing I did when credits rolled was pull up Wikipedia to find out if that had really happened. I was very disappointed to learn that they had basically just walked onto the plane.

Reaction Score
I just finished watching Argo last night.

It is important to understand that movies that are "based on a true story" are not where one should glean their history. Movies skip over timelines, omit material facts, condense multiple people into composite characters for a better-than-real-life dramatization (i.e. artistic license). I think Argo would have been boring (as a movie) if it kept to the facts as they played out in history. I also think that Argo would not be received nearly as well had it just been a straight work of fiction (like say a Tom Clancy Novel) and not based on a true story. So, after a willing suspension of my disbelief, Argo was phenomenal. You want fact? Watch a documentary (nothing against Docs, which can be equally entertaining, but they are more centered closer to truth. Truth be told, I'm not finished watching docu-dramas until I log on to IMDB, or similar sites, to check out the trivia and goofs. That way I can see how close to real the reel was.

I agree with you in concept 100%. The problem I have at end (literally) with Argo was the dramatic very obvious Hollywood race against time for the plane to take off versus the local investigators putting together the puzzle. Because a lot of dramatic effort was put into this aspect of the plot and it was very obvious they were going to escape the movie is less than it could have been. I don't need it to be accurate to what really happened, but there was enough going on and dramatic tension on a number of levels. To whittle that down to a chase scene was kinda cheap or intellectually lazy.

Reaction Score
I agree with you in concept 100%. The problem I have at end (literally) with Argo was the dramatic very obvious Hollywood race against time for the plane to take off versus the local investigators putting together the puzzle. Because a lot of dramatic effort was put into this aspect of the plot and it was very obvious they were going to escape the movie is less than it could have been. I don't need it to be accurate to what really happened, but there was enough going on and dramatic tension on a number of levels. To whittle that down to a chase scene was kinda cheap or intellectually lazy.

I loved the last 15-20 minute "chase" scene. I knew they were going to get out and figured it was fake but thought it was very exciting nonetheless.

Had it ended with them walking on board, casually taking their seats and asking for a hot towel and peanuts...woulda been maybe accurate but IMO very dull....

Husky25

Reaction Score

Absolutely, but that is where your willing suspension of disbelief should be at its height. Without the chase scene, there is no climax and the denouement is rendered ineffective. Given the circumstances and what could have actually have occurred at the time, the chase was a heck of a lot more believable than the 747 scene at the end of Die Hard 2.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, but that is where your willing suspension of disbelief should be at its height. Without the chase scene, there is no climax and the denouement is rendered ineffective. Given the circumstances and what could have actually have occurred at the time, the chase was a heck of a lot more believable than the 747 scene at the end of Die Hard 2.
Yes and mostly agree, the first time I watched Argo I was willingly suspended (but it definitely was willing). I'd rather it be a little more unconscious and I think other parts of the movie were a lot better. I wish they spent more time on the riot.

Then I think it should have been more like The Sting, the setup and all that goes into it are the most interesting parts. Not the $ possibly pulled at the last second, a ringing phone possibly unanswered and the puzzle airport chase. If they really tried I think getting out of the house, and through the airport could have been just as suspenseful but would have required a lot more work. We would likely need deeper involvement with each character personally to raise the stakes & understand the struggle for each one to lie or otherwise sneak out of the country.

Fair point about DieHard 2, but that was not close to up for an academy award so not on the same 'plane'. (sorry ;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes and mostly agree, the first time I watched Argo I was willingly suspended (but it definitely was willing). I'd rather it be a little more unconscious and I think other parts of the movie were a lot better. I wish they spent more time on the riot.

Then I think it should have been more like The Sting, the setup and all that goes into it are the most interesting parts. Not the $ possibly pulled at the last second, a ringing phone possibly unanswered and the puzzle airport chase. If they really tried I think getting out of the house, and through the airport could have been just as suspenseful but would have required a lot more work. We would likely need deeper involvement with each character personally to raise the stakes & understand the struggle for each one to lie or otherwise sneak out of the country.

Fair point about DieHard 2, but that was not close to up for an academy award so not on the same 'plane'. (sorry ;)

Agreed, which gets back to it being important not to take "based on a true story" as documented history. There's just so much that can be dramatized within the confines of an hour fifty-four. As pure entertainment, Argo was worthy of a Best Picture Nomination. It certainly would not even be in the conversation for Best Documentary. C'est la vie, those awards are as rigged as judged sporting events.

Reaction Score
Agreed, which gets back to it being important not to take "based on a true story" as documented history. There's just so much that can be dramatized within the confines of an hour fifty-four. As pure entertainment, Argo was worthy of a Best Picture Nomination. It certainly would not even be in the conversation for Best Documentary. C'est la vie, those awards are as rigged as judged sporting events.
Its weird & interesting recently how movies are seemingly more often based on a true story but then have to take dramatic liberties. I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street but I think its a great example of this problem. If Wolf of Wall Street was simply a Godfather type popular book, it might be less commercially viable but an easier film for everyone to watch and enjoy. But it probably got made because of a book that was only popular because it was true. Then the problem a lot of people have with the movie is that it is celebrating the debauchery. It is ultimately no different than the way a movie like the Godfather glamorizes bad people, but because it is mostly true it seems a lot worse to enjoy the movie. For example they are absolutely NOT making a fun living the high life story about Bernie Madoff. Ultimately we should know and understand that a movie is simply a movie but when the story is intertwined with reality it is a lot more difficult to make that separation

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wolf of Wall Street has an added problem when it comes to bio-pics. Word is that it is pretty true to the book. However there is some question as to how true to life the book actually is. After all, Jordan Belfort had to make sure it sold in order to (make an effort to appear to) pay off his restitution. What better way than to embellish his exploits?

Reaction Score
Argo was a solid and very well done film. However, the airport runway chase scene at the end of the film was a big dud for me. I seriously doubt a bunch of cars and trucks could keep up with a plane on a runway that had me rolling my eyes, as I seriously doubt all the vehicles involved in the chase could keep up with a plane that is speeding down a runway getting ready to take off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom