Are we forced to cheer for Ohio St and Urban Meyer now? | The Boneyard

Are we forced to cheer for Ohio St and Urban Meyer now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
As much as I absolutely hate Urban Meyer and all that he stands for, do we need to be routing for an Ohio State blowout win this weekend over Wisconsin? If Ohio St leaps frog the two B12 teams because they win in their "league championship" game and pass by TCU and Baylor...would that push the B12 to expand in order to get a football championship game for future playoffs?

In my mind, any m0vement by the P5 would be good for us. Although based on the "whatever hurts UConn most" rule that seems to apply in conference realignment, it would probably push the B12 to add Air Force, Cincinnati, UCF, and USF and we would end up back in the Yankee Conference :)

Reaction Score
...and don't forget Memphis which is not only a good basketball program, but a spectacular football program, based on CR and what have you done lately.

Reaction Score
As much as I absolutely hate Urban Meyer and all that he stands for, do we need to be routing for an Ohio State blowout win this weekend over Wisconsin? If Ohio St leaps frog the two B12 teams because they win in their "league championship" game and pass by TCU and Baylor...would that push the B12 to expand in order to get a football championship game for future playoffs?

In my mind, any m0vement by the P5 would be good for us. Although based on the "whatever hurts UConn most" rule that seems to apply in conference realignment, it would probably push the B12 to add Air Force, Cincinnati, UCF, and USF and we would end up back in the Yankee Conference :)

I think that Alabama getting upset in the SEC championship would even be a bigger mess as it could push the SEC out of the playoffs entirely or allow a 2 loss SEC team in over several 1 loss teams.

That said, any expansion by the XII provides a questionable benefit for UConn. Geographically, UConn does not fit with the XII. Plus, without a partner, it is unlikely that UConn gets into the B1G while the ACC would likely take UNC Charlotte or Cincinnati before UConn at this stage. Thus, if the XII grabs some combo of Cincinnati, USF, and UCF, UConn would actually be in worse shape stuck in the American. UConn needs a massive shake-up to happen.

Reaction Score
I think that Alabama getting upset in the SEC championship would even be a bigger mess as it could push the SEC out of the playoffs entirely or allow a 2 loss SEC team in over several 1 loss teams.

That said, any expansion by the XII provides a questionable benefit for UConn. Geographically, UConn does not fit with the XII. Plus, without a partner, it is unlikely that UConn gets into the B1G while the ACC would likely take UNC Charlotte or Cincinnati before UConn at this stage. Thus, if the XII grabs some combo of Cincinnati, USF, and UCF, UConn would actually be in worse shape stuck in the American. UConn needs a massive shake-up to happen.

UConn should already be trying to sell the Big XII on the idea of expanding east and grabbing UConn and either UCF/USF. The move would put both NYC and Florida into the Big XII footprint, and it allow the Big XII to have a championship game.

Reaction Score
Particularly now. The more OSU wins, the more the Big 12 will be thinking about expansion.

Reaction Score
I still believe that it will be a very hard sell UConn to get into the XII not because of UConn's lack of quality in football; but, simply due to the fact that UConn is in the Northeast. I doubt the XII really cares much about the NYC TV market. UConn also being over 500 miles to the nearest XII team (WV) would also be a tough sell for both parties (yes, I know, the American is not much better). Not to mention that the XII has closer potential members or at least those that maybe a better 'football' fit - BYU, Colorado St, Boise St (don't buy this one, they offer nothing but football, needs to add something else, too), UCF, USF, Memphis (don't buy this either unless they are serious about basketball), and Cincinnati.

UConn's best hope, in my opinion, is that Texas still blocks any expansion while Oklahoma realized it will never see the playoffs without a championship game. A split between Texas and Oklahoma would likely be the end of the XII. This would cause chaos and chaos could be good for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom