Are ESPN News game simulcast on ESPN 3? | The Boneyard

Are ESPN News game simulcast on ESPN 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was hoping this would be on the U, which I get. Hopefully there's no blackout for News games.

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain that all ESPN network games are available on WatchESPN

I don't think this is true. If a game is on one of their channels available to you, it won't be broadcast on WatchESPN until afterwards. This is to encourage you to buy ESPNU and ESPNNews. Otherwise, everyone could just use WatchESPN with their regular ESPN/basic cable subscription. Same with SNY -- if you're eligible to get SNY and it's on SNY, WatchESPN will be blacked out except in parts of the countries where it's unavailable.

So basically I'm going to the bar tomorrow cause I don't get ESPNNews either and I have no interest in buying it for a game (though you can do it and Comcast only charges you 1.50 to remove it later as of last year).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What is through difference between WatchESPN and ESPN 3?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
O.K., I suck at technology but how then can it be on one and not the other?

I believe people are confused because when they sell games to SNY they show as being on Watch ESPN - but are blacked out if you live in SNY's footprint.

I have never seen any blackout issues on Watch ESPN games that are on ESPN networks. I don't think anyone with Watch ESPN is going to have an issue today.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
O.K., I suck at technology but how then can it be on one and not the other?

I have no idea what the UConn account it talking about.

If you go to ESPN3.com on a phone or laptop it redirects you to WatchESPN.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here is ESPN News on Watch ESPN.

Digging into the website they might brand games on Watch ESPN that aren't on an ESPN network as ESPN 3.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 41

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UMass and Bowling Green are on 'ESPN 3'. But you watch ESPN 3 through Watch ESPN so it's pointless designation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you don't get ESPN News in your cable package you won't be able to watch the game on espn3 or watch espn.

Is that true? I don't get the Longhorn Network in my cable package but get it on Watch ESPN.

Reaction Score
Is that true? I don't get the Longhorn Network in my cable package but get it on Watch ESPN.

But are you eligible for Longhorn Network in your region? You can use WatchESPN to watch out of region games, but if a game is being shown on a network you could pay for, i believe ESPN blacks it out.

Reaction Score
I just tried to watch ESPNNews on WatchESPN.com with my basic ESPN/ESPN2 package and this is what I get, so I do NOT believe you'll be able to watch this on WatchESPN unless you subscribe to ESPNNews.

watchespn.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But are you eligible for Longhorn Network in your region? You can use WatchESPN to watch out of region games, but if a game is being shown on a network you could pay for, i believe ESPN blacks it out.

Ah that makes sense. Looking at the Comcast website they do sell one package that doesn't have ESPN News. With the American's TV package putting UConn on CBSSN and ESPNU/News constantly I guess I just assume people have those?

Reaction Score
I believe ESPN3 is used for games that are not simulcast on any of the standard networks (ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNews) in and of itself the only way to access games on ESPN3 is through the watchESPN interface.

Reaction Score
Best way I know to explain it is that Espn3 is the original service that requires a selected internet provider, not tv provider and had content not on the tv networks(at least in your viewing area). They then expanded to watchespn that requires a tv subscription, and lets you watch a simulcast of the stations you pay for plus espn3 content

And according to a tweet today, the game is available on WatchESPN but not espn3

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think the simplest way to understand it is that espn3 is a production package for web-only content. All on-line distribution for the espn family is through watch espn which requires you to be a subscriber of the source channel for any web-streaming of broadcast content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom