APR scores... Men are perfect, Women not really! | The Boneyard

APR scores... Men are perfect, Women not really!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
LINK
why didnt the women get a perfect score, maybe the WNBA prevents them from completing their work?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Women haven't been perfect for a number of years. CD and others state UConn has a 1oo% Graduation rate, so I wonder which player(s) are causing them not to have a perfect APR. Can it be the transfers?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Then please explain Example two, as it shows a school loses a point if a player transfers.

A school's APR is not affected in any way if a player transfers - as long as that player finishes the semester before leaving and has at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

Reaction Score
Then please explain Example two, as it shows a school loses a point if a player transfers.

The above link is from St. Mary's website, not the NCAA, and is likely way out of date. Check the Academics section of NCAA.org. They added the transfer exception at least five years ago - so no APR is affected by a transfer who finishes the semester and has a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think you're incorrect. Here's an example from the NCAA dated May 27, 2015

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/raising-bar

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/apr_explain_new.jpg

apr_explain_new.jpg

Look at the sample of 5 players leaving institution.

The above link is from St. Mary's website, not the NCAA, and is likely way out of date. Check the Academics section of NCAA.org. They added the transfer exception at least five years ago - so no APR is affected by a transfer who finishes the semester and has a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

Reaction Score
I had answered off the top of my head. After checking the NCAA site, I see that it is a 2.6 cumulative GPA that is required to avoid the loss of a point when a player transfers. However I see that a school can also appeal to get back the point even if the student's GPA is lower. From the NCAA:

A lost retention point is avoided when a student-athlete transfers if he or she meets all of these criteria:

- Transferred immediately to another four-year school;
- Attended the first school for at least one year;
- Earned the APR eligibility point in the last term before transfer; and
- Has earned at least a 2.6 GPA at the time of departure.

APR Transfer Adjustment: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Academic Primer-APR Transfer Adjustment.pdf

The above is a current active link from this page of the NCAA site.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What does the NCAA mean by this statement?

"Transferred immediately to another four-year school"

If a player who transfers waits a semester before enrolling in the new school the losing school loses a point? What is the time period to qualify for Transferred immediately? I presume in the case of Sierra Calhoun, Duke will lose point(s) because she's not enrolled in a new school. Don't recall how long it took Banks, to choose a new school, but it was probably more then a semester.

Not that this is a big deal, but Chris/Geno are proud of 100% graduation rate, yet have never had a Perfect APR. I refuse to believe that the Women's team lost points because a player was academically ineligible. Too much attention is paid to academics for that to happen unless a player transferred mid semester. Also of Note the Lady Vols have only had 1 perfect APR Score. Transfers are the only logically reason that the Women's Team is not scoring perfect APR scores.

I had answered off the top of my head. After checking the NCAA site, I see that it is a 2.6 cumulative GPA that is required to avoid the loss of a point when a player transfers. However I see that a school can also appeal to get back the point even if the student's GPA is lower. From the NCAA:

A lost retention point is avoided when a student-athlete transfers if he or she meets all of these criteria:

- Transferred immediately to another four-year school;
- Attended the first school for at least one year;
- Earned the APR eligibility point in the last term before transfer; and
- Has earned at least a 2.6 GPA at the time of departure.

APR Transfer Adjustment: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Academic Primer-APR Transfer Adjustment.pdf

The above is a current active link from this page of the NCAA site.

Reaction Score
What does the NCAA mean by this statement?

"Transferred immediately to another four-year school"

If a player who transfers waits a semester before enrolling in the new school the losing school loses a point? What is the time period to qualify for Transferred immediately? I presume in the case of Sierra Calhoun, Duke will lose point(s) because she's not enrolled in a new school. Don't recall how long it took Banks, to choose a new school, but it was probably more then a semester.

Not that this is a big deal, but Chris/Geno are proud of 100% graduation rate, yet have never had a Perfect APR. I refuse to believe that the Women's team lost points because a player was academically ineligible. Too much attention is paid to academics for that to happen unless a player transferred mid semester. Also of Note the Lady Vols have only had 1 perfect APR Score. Transfers are the only logically reason that the Women's Team is not scoring perfect APR scores.

Virtually all players "immediately" transfer for the purpose of this rule - which means that they don't take a full semester off. Banks transferred "immediately". She did not take any semesters off of school. No lost point for that.

As for Calhoun, if she was not enrolled at Duke or any other four-year school during the spring semester, then Duke will lose a point.

Note that UConn's lost point doesn't mean anyone was academically ineligible in terms of having a horrible GPA. It could mean that a player left without finishing coursework - which would have left them ineligible to play the next semester. Or it could also mean that a transfer had a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or lower when they left. UConn, btw, has had four players cost them points over the past decade.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Would think its more then 4 players based on the scores.

2004 - 2005 957
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2005 - 2006 970
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2006 - 2007 972
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2007 - 2008 991
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2008 - 2009 990
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2009 - 2010 990
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2010 - 2011 990
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2011 - 2012 984
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2012 - 2013 989
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2013 - 2014 982

I'm presuming the years where UConn scored 989 or higher is one player for each of those five years. Scores lower than 989 could indicate two or more players were impacted. 982 might be one player as well since UConn only had 11 players on scholarship.

If I understand the system correctly, the fact that UConn rarely has 15 players on scholarship, they are impacted more adversely if a player transfers or becomes academically ineligible. The difference between 1 out of 10 vs 1 out of 15. Has UConn ever applied to the NCAA to get points back?

BTW, not interested in the names, just trying to understand the system.

Virtually all players "immediately" transfer for the purpose of this rule - which means that they don't take a full semester off. Banks transferred "immediately". She did not take any semesters off of school. No lost point for that.

As for Calhoun, if she was not enrolled at Duke or any other four-year school during the spring semester, then Duke will lose a point.

Note that UConn's lost point doesn't mean anyone was academically ineligible in terms of having a horrible GPA. It could mean that a player left without finishing coursework - which would have left them ineligible to play the next semester. Or it could also mean that a transfer had a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or lower when they left. UConn, btw, has had four players cost them points over the past decade.

Reaction Score
Would think its more then 4 players based on the scores.

2004 - 2005 957
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2005 - 2006 970
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2006 - 2007 972
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2007 - 2008 991
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2008 - 2009 990
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2009 - 2010 990
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2010 - 2011 990
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2011 - 2012 984
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2012 - 2013 989
Women's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2013 - 2014 982

I'm presuming the years where UConn scored 989 or higher is one player for each of those five years. Scores lower than 989 could indicate two or more players were impacted. 982 might be one player as well since UConn only had 11 players on scholarship.

If I understand the system correctly, the fact that UConn rarely has 15 players on scholarship, they are impacted more adversely if a player transfers or becomes academically ineligible. The difference between 1 out of 10 vs 1 out of 15. Has UConn ever applied to the NCAA to get points back?

BTW, not interested in the names, just trying to understand the system.

It's a four-year rolling average, meaning UConn likely had one point deducted for each recent year - and two deducted for the older years. I assumed it was two players who affected 2004-07. Then one player who affected the next four years, then one player who affected the last few years. It could be five, rather than four, however, depending on which years were involved.

Reaction Score
LINK
why didnt the women get a perfect score, maybe the WNBA prevents them from completing their work?
Congratulation to Uconn especially all those with the 1000 APR scores--WoW, is that amazing. I'd like to commend Keven Ollie for taking a troubled APR group and move them to the high 900's . I too wonder what keeps a team/group which has a 100 percent graduation rate from making an 1000 apr rating?? In any case with their practice load, travel load, study load, classroom load and community give back load--can you wonder when these kids get time to breath?? Congrats too to Uconn WBB, Geno, Chris, tutors, and Athletes AMAZING!!!

Reaction Score
It's a four-year rolling average, meaning UConn likely had one point deducted for each recent year - and two deducted for the older years. I assumed it was two players who affected 2004-07. Then one player who affected the next four years, then one player who affected the last few years. It could be five, rather than four, however, depending on which years were involved.
Are you kidding??? Uconn (and others) are getting dinged, can be sanctioned by the NCAA for one player a couple of years ago?? Seems blatantly unfair. Transfers should never be counted. What about those that opt out early for the NBA/WNBA do these create a ding?
It's great that someone is trying to get players to graduate and have a career if the pro's falls thru--I think if the school has a policy that affords every athlete the ability to graduate at no cost---up to 10 years after they should have graduated, the schools would have done what's right.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding??? Uconn (and others) are getting dinged, can be sanctioned by the NCAA for one player a couple of years ago?? Seems blatantly unfair. Transfers should never be counted. What about those that opt out early for the NBA/WNBA do these create a ding?
It's great that someone is trying to get players to graduate and have a career if the pro's falls thru--I think if the school has a policy that affords every athlete the ability to graduate at no cost---up to 10 years after they should have graduated, the schools would have done what's right.

No, UConn CANNOT be sanctioned for one player a few years ago. It would take a lot of players with bad academic records to get anywhere close to sanctions. That is why very few schools have ended up with sanctions. And the number with academic issues has been dropping since the APR was created.

BA players don't create a ding if they are in good academic standings.

Reaction Score
I too wonder what keeps a team/group which has a 100 percent graduation rate from making an 1000 apr rating??

I don't think it's any secret. It's clear that a few of the transfers did not have very good academic records when they left - or possibly that they left without completing their coursework. In any event, graduation rate has little to do with APR since the graduation rates most schools publicize are only based on the players who stayed 4+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom