AP: Maryland, Rutgers Appear to Be Good Fit in Big Ten | The Boneyard

AP: Maryland, Rutgers Appear to Be Good Fit in Big Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/maryland-rutgers-good-fit-big-ten-27180950

Maryland, Rutgers Appear to Be Good Fit in Big Ten

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Nov 25, 2014, 5:52 PM ET

By DAVID GINSBURG AP Sports Writer

When Maryland ended its 61-year association with the Atlantic Coast Conference and moved to the Big Ten, there was some question as to whether fans would welcome the switch.

There was also the fear that the Terrapins would be quite literally out of their league in one of the best football conferences in the nation.

Turns out, Maryland did just fine.

The Terrapins and fellow newcomer Rutgers have enjoyed success on the field and at the ticket window during their inaugural season in the Big Ten. Both own winning records, are bowl eligible and have experienced a sharp rise in attendance.

"Our players kind of had a chip on their shoulder to show not only that we could compete, but we could win," Maryland coach Randy Edsall said Tuesday. "The support has been great, the enthusiasm of our fans has been outstanding. All in all, it's been very positive."

The Terps (7-4, 4-3) have experienced a 19 percent increase in attendance compared to last year. Rutgers (6-5, 2-5) hasn't fared as well in the win column, but that hasn't dampened the excitement in and around the campus.

"There's no doubt. We've had three sellouts and hit total attendance records in every way," coach Kyle Flood said.

The rest of the conference also appears delighted with the decision to expand along the East Coast ? with the possible exception of Michigan.

"Well, for us it hasn't been very good," Wolverines coach Brady Hoke said, referring to his team's 0-2 record this season against the Big Ten newcomers. Yet, even Hoke had to concede that the addition of Maryland and Rutgers has proven to be beneficial.

"For the footprint of the league," he said, "it's a real positive."

Although Maryland lost to Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin, there were also wins at Indiana, Penn State and, yes, Michigan.

"The preparation that we did last winter, last spring, last summer to get ourselves prepared really paid off," Edsall said. "We did some things people maybe didn't think we could do this year. And I know we can still get better."

The attention Rutgers has garnered as a member of the Big Ten has been priceless, according to Flood.

"Rutgers is the football team that moves the needle in New York when you look at TV ratings," the coach said. "Being a part of the Big Ten, and having some of the most storied programs in the history of college football coming to our stadium to play, all it's done is create even more excitement about our program. I think those numbers will do up again next year."

Clearly, the Terps and Scarlet Knights, who face each other Saturday at Maryland, look like they belong.

"Both schools bring an awful lot to the conference. It's a win-win situation, hopefully, for everybody," Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said.

Although Michigan State beat Maryland 37-15 and manhandled Rutgers 45-3, Spartans coach Mark Dantonio said, "I've been very impressed in terms of what they've been able to do in their first year in the Big Ten. They've won in big environments and at home as well."

During his team's visit to Maryland earlier this month, Dantonio saw plenty of fans in the sellout crowd dressed in Spartan colors.

"I met people coming up from the Virginia area and the Carolinas, people coming down from the New England area, and people from everywhere in between," the coach said. "There was a great group of Spartans there, and I think that will continue when we play at Rutgers next year."

Wisconsin also enjoyed lopsided wins over both the Terrapins and Scarlet Knights, but coach Gary Andersen knows that might change in the future.

"It's a very, very good addition," he said. "They would fit well in any conference, and it's great to have them be part of the Big Ten."

Reaction Score
And it makes it a lot easier for B1G powers to recruit in the HS football hotbed that Jersey is in.

Reaction Score
Does our record against Rutgers in the last 12 games (6-6) against them help our profile? 1-2 overall against Maryland.

Did anyone mention Mike Tranghese is part of the college football playoff committee?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yup, seeing the eastward movement pay off both on and off the field for the B1G is nothing but positive for UCONN. UCONN's attendance would skyrocket with a B1G schedule in the same way (probably more so given where we are this season) that RU and MD's attendance increased. But not just that, UCONN would also something that neither RU or MD could and that's needle moving content for the BTN after football season is over. And with UCONN's championship pedigree on the court, that could provide added conference credits to the B1G coffers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
During his team's visit to Maryland earlier this month, Dantonio saw plenty of fans in the sellout crowd dressed in Spartan colors.
"I met people coming up from the Virginia area and the Carolinas, people coming down from the New England area, and people from everywhere in between," the coach said. "There was a great group of Spartans there, and I think that will continue when we play at Rutgers next year."

Golly I'll bet it would be good to get some games actually in those regions. Let's see how could you do that....?

Reaction Score
If UConn is ever added to the B1G or ACC, you will have direct involvement with this...........

The 2014 B1G ACC Challenge is this week. Here is a breakdown of the schedule:

Men's Basketball:

Monday, December 1 -
7pm: RUTGERS @ Clemson - ESPNU
7pm: NEBRASKA @ Florida State - ESPN2

Tuesday, December 2 -
7pm: Pittsburgh @ INDIANA - ESPN2
7pm: MINNESOTA @ Wake Forest - ESPNU
7:30pm: Syracuse @ MICHIGAN - ESPN
9pm: ILLINOIS @ Miami - ESPN2
9pm: North Carolina State @ PURDUE - ESPNU
9:30pm: OHIO STATE @ Louisville - ESPN

Wednesday, December 3 -
7:15pm: MICHIGAN STATE @ Notre Dame - ESPN2
7:15pm: Virginia Tech @ PENN STATE - ESPNU
7:30pm: IOWA @ North Carolina - ESPN
9:15pm: Georgia Tech @ NORTHWESTERN - ESPNU
9:15pm: Virginia @ MARYLAND - ESPN2
9:30pm: Duke @ WISCONSIN - ESPN

No Play: Boston College

Women's Basketball:

Wednesday, December 3 -
MARYLAND @ Notre Dame (Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, Fort Wayne, Ind.)
INDIANA @ Boston College
MINNESOTA @ North Carolina State
Florida State @ PURDUE
Duke @ NEBRASKA
Wake Forest @ MICHIGAN
Virginia @ ILLINOIS
Pittsburgh @ OHIO STATE

Thursday, December 4 -
IOWA @ Louisville
PENN STATE @ Syracuse
NORTHWESTERN @ Virginia Tech
WISCONSIN @ Miami
North Carolina @ RUTGERS
Georgia Tech @ MICHIGAN STATE

No Play: Clemson

Reaction Score
If UConn is ever added to the B1G or ACC, you will have direct involvement with this......

Men's Basketball:

Monday, December 1 -

Tuesday, December 2 -

Wednesday, December 3 -

Women's Basketball:

Wednesday, December 3 -
INDIANA @ Boston College
Florida State @ PURDUE
Duke @ NEBRASKA
Wake Forest @ MICHIGAN
Virginia @ ILLINOIS
Pittsburgh @ OHIO STATE

Thursday, December 4 -
IOWA @ Louisville
PENN STATE @ Syracuse
WISCONSIN @ Miami
North Carolina @ RUTGERS

No Play: Clemso
If UConn is ever added to the B1G or ACC, you will have direct involvement with this......

Men's Basketball:

Monday, December 1 -

Tuesday, December 2 -

Wednesday, December 3 -

Women's Basketball:

Wednesday, December 3 -
INDIANA @ Boston College
Florida State @ PURDUE
Duke @ NEBRASKA
Wake Forest @ MICHIGAN
Virginia @ ILLINOIS
Pittsburgh @ OHIO STATE

Thursday, December 4 -
IOWA @ Louisville
PENN STATE @ Syracuse
WISCONSIN @ Miami
North Carolina @ RUTGERS

No Play: Clemson
You may mean well, but you are just rubbing salt in our wounds.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Who gives a flying fig? You do know UConn was a host of the original BIG/ACC challenge, don't you? We saw Kenny Anderson play his 1st college game, followed by UConn mopping up the floor with Maryland.

Reaction Score
Who gives a flying fig? You do know UConn was a host of the original BIG/ACC challenge, don't you? We saw Kenny Anderson play his 1st college game, followed by UConn mopping up the floor with Maryland.

Don't forget Scott Burrell jumping over Rodney Rogers while stealing the ball from him.

Reaction Score
CoastAtlantic said:
It looks like Rutgers basketball played like they fit in tonight. ;)

Wisky was on the road missing their two best players.

And it was still embarrassing for them.

Reaction Score
Good! The more successful the move east, the better for us.

It's certainly the premier conference we could hope to get into. Any excitement Rutgers athletics has experienced would be tripled in Connecticut.
Rutgers is not NJ's school the way UConn is CT's.

Reaction Score
I would say SUNJ is exactly what to NJ what UConn is to CT. Both have a strong footprint in northern and middle parts of state and less so in southern parts. I also think SUNJ has better chance at the moment to shore up their southern flank duie to conference affiliation, exposure and money that will flow.

Reaction Score
I hate to disagree but I think SUNJ is very much NJ's school. Being in the B1G is going to help it a great deal, and yes, even the floundering basketball program.
I would say SUNJ is exactly what to NJ what UConn is to CT. Both have a strong footprint in northern and middle parts of state and less so in southern parts. I also think SUNJ has better chance at the moment to shore up their southern flank duie to conference affiliation, exposure and money that will flow.
I won't dispute either of your points factually and agree that Rutgers is making strides in the Garden State, strides that will only get bigger as the Knights time in the B1G lengthens. The link gives an interesting take on fans in the 50 states. The Connecticut and New Jersey slides are particularly interesting. Rutgers' problem is they've never given New Jerseyites a reason to root for them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1288260-most-popular-sports-teams-from-all-of-the-united-states

Reaction Score
I never thought of UCONN's support as being anything other than all-in in all parts of the state. The fact is, UCONN's footprint is much larger than Connecticut's. No shoring up within the borders required.

Reaction Score
I never thought of UCONN's support as being anything other than all-in in all parts of the state. The fact is, UCONN's footprint is much larger than Connecticut's. No shoring up within the borders required.

I agree with this view. I don't believe that NJ is all in with Rutgers. My in-laws live in north and central . They are pro sports fans with little to no interest in Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I strongly disagree, the average Connecticut resident has a love affair with UConn basketball. It's akin to Nebraska in football or UK in BB.
That's partially do to the success but the love actually predates JC.
NJ has much more competition where UConn Is the only show in town. The love is even strong in the Connecticut Dispora.
Rutgers ,and UConn football would be a much better model.

Reaction Score
Exactly what is the average resident? About 5'10"? White? Male? A bit overweight? Democrat?

Basketball? We're talking basketball? This is a realignment discussion and you are worried what the average fan thinks of a BB program? If BB carried any clout, we'd be the apple of every P5 conference.

How many folks from FF county go to UConn FB games? How many FF county kids are on the FB roster?

Like most of the northeast, the average football fan aligns more with the local pro team than the local college team. In terms of CFB, South Jersey folks align more with Penn State than they do RU. FF county folks do not necessarily align with UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
A lot of sports fandom is influenced by what's on TV. Fairfield Country is in the NYC DMA, so they root for NYC pro sports teams. Boston roots for Boston pro sports teams and has historically neglected Boston College. New Jersey is in the NYC and Philly DMAs and has historically neglected Rutgers. Most of Connecticut was in the Hartford-New Haven DMA, didn't have pro sports teams on TV, and rooted for UConn.

Now with cable, that is changing, DMAs don't matter as much. But rooting interests are social and they take time to change.

If Rutgers can capture New Jersey, UConn can capture Fairfield County. They are the same challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom