Anyone Still Think Petrino or Tressel are Viable? | The Boneyard

Anyone Still Think Petrino or Tressel are Viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Board Advises Greater Oversight of College Athletics

Tuesday, October 9, 201

STORRS -- A new report that incorporates perspectives of higher education leaders nationwide, including University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst, is urging colleges and universities to enhance their governing boards' oversight of their athletics programs.

"It is imperative that our nation's colleges and universities find ways to ensure transparent, responsible management of our valued intercollegiate athletics programs while protecting and furthering our academic missions", Herbst says.

The new report cautions that as intercollegiate athletics departments increasingly operate like businesses, boards must act to ensure an appropriate balance between athletics and academics in their institutions, or policy makers or regulators will do it for them.

"In light of recent issues in college sports, it is imperative for boards to function at a higher level of awareness and judgment in order to address the financial challenges associated with college sports, to ensure the link between intercollegiate athletics and academic priorities, and to reaffirm standards and ethics in college athletics"

Reaction Score
Dont worry. None of those damaged-goods types will even get a sniff from Herbst. What she wants (and by extension so does Manuel) is someone like ND DC Bob Diaco. He'll be sought after by BC and Iowa (should Ferentz get the boot). He fits the mold. He brings in a dynamic OC and the entire program takes on a new aura of vitality. We may not get him---but he's the type we need to be looking for.
http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/diaco_bob00.html

Reaction Score
He brings in a dynamic OC and the entire program takes on a new aura of vitality. We may not get him---but he's the type we need to be looking for.

Only if he can run the inside hand off 20 times per game or use a double tight end set.

Reaction Score
No way. Can't imagine any school wanting Bobby Petrino to represent their school in a recruit's home. Of course, Solich found a second chance, but that took some time.

Reaction Score
Zoo, I thought Solich was leg go at Nebraska for not winning enough? I don't remember no controversy off the field with him. Petrino may be a poonhound, but man he can coach some offense.

Reaction Score
This situation is one the presidents and boards created for themselves...it was pretty obvious a few year back when they all decided that athletics needed to be run as essentially separate businesses. I think some even tried to incorporate their athletic departments as separate non-profit corporations. I remember Texas and UMass looking into it at one point. Now they are shocked, shocked I tell you, that the athletic departments are ignoring the university's mission...

Reaction Score
Zoo, I thought Solich was leg go at Nebraska for not winning enough? I don't remember no controversy off the field with him. Petrino may be a poonhound, but man he can coach some offense.

I thought Solich was boozing it up one night and wrecked his car. He was already losing and that was the last straw.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My guess is UConn will target a young up-and-coming Div. II or FCS Head Coach, or FBS Co-ordinator looking to use UConn as a stepping stone to a B1G, or Big 12 job (ala Urban Myer at Utah). Unfortunately, that's the position Hathaway put us in with the current hire and how low the Big East has sunk in Football. At the same time, the product on the field should improve for those few years.

Hopefully with the BCS switch to a playoff (and the inevitable expansion of the playoff bracket), perhaps the Big East can increase its exposure over the next 4-5 years to earn back a major bowl tie-in and UConn will transform from a steping stone job to a destination job.

Wishfully thinking? Maybe, but crazier things have happened.

Reaction Score
My guess is UConn will target a young up-and-coming FBS Co-ordinator looking to use UConn as a stepping stone to a B1G, or Big 12 job (ala Urban Myer at Utah).

Need a big time recruiter first and foremost (an Urban Myer type but even before he got to Utah). It would be OK to have this person use UConn as a stepping stone - "a high tide lifts all boats". Urban Myer willed (recruited and coached quite innovatively) Utah to prominance and utimately a position where the PAC 12 offered membership.

New coach cannot be "a comfortable old slipper" like PP was. Unless you're taking about Bobby Bowden or Lou Holtz coming out of retirement. Who'd wanna bet that they'd have this program going in a different direction right now? Otherwise, need to follow the Cincy script and get coaches others would really like to have. Although what does that say about Maryland? lol

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Need a big time recruiter first and foremost (an Urban Myer type but even before he got to Utah). It would be OK to have this person use UConn as a stepping stone - "a high tide lifts all boats". Urban Myer willed (recruited and coached quite innovatively) Utah to prominance and utimately a position where the PAC 12 offered membership.

I "liked" your post for the first paragraph...

New coach cannot be "a comfortable old slipper" like PP was.

...That is painfully obvious...

Unless you're taking about Bobby Bowden or Lou Holtz coming out of retirement. Who'd wanna bet that they'd have this program going in a different direction right now? Otherwise, need to follow the Cincy script and get coaches others would really like to have. Although what does that say about Maryland? lol

...As a 10 year season ticket holder, these two options do not appeal to me one bit.

Reaction Score
if you think either (or any of the sort) are viable candidates for UConn and Ms. Herbst, you simply are not paying attention.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Man we are a long way away from being respectable again.

Reaction Score
Where are those Mike Leetch advocates....??

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-leach-compares-seniors-empty-corpses-zombies
Mike Leach calls out seniors

Mike Leach evidently is not impressed by the leadership qualities of Washington State's seniors.

Unhappy with the Cougars' 2-4 start, Leach ripped some of his seniors for their lack of veteran leadership during a recent news conference, comparing them to "empty corpses" and "zombies."

“ Some of them have had kind of this zombie-like, go through the motions, everything is like how it's always been, that's how it'll always be. Some of them quite honestly have an empty-corpse quality. That's not pleasant to say or pleasant to think about, but that's a fact. ” -- Mike Leach on a lack of leadership from Washington State's seniors​

"Some of (the seniors) have been great, and some of them have been very poor," Leach said Monday. "Some of them have had kind of this zombielike, go through the motions, everything is like how it's always been, that's how it'll always be. "Some of them quite honestly have an empty-corpse quality. That's not pleasant to say or pleasant to think about, but that's a fact."

Leach, known as an offensive guru during his 10-year tenure at Texas Tech, is in his first year at Washington State after inheriting a program that has not had a winning season since 2003. The Cougars went 9-40 over the past four years under Paul Wulff.

The Cougars have lost their past three games and generated just 227 yards of total offense in Saturday's 19-6 loss to Oregon State.

Leach questioned the focus of his team and said some players need to "embrace adversity."

"We just need focused people. Rather than have fragmented focus, right now we're a team that if we face any adversity, we get discouraged," he said. "If you don't embrace adversity, you're never going to improve.
"We've got to be a team that embraces adversity, and right now we're a team that if it's not easy, we want to flinch and flounder. We've got to change that. Part of it is changing the way we think and part of it is we haven't really had the strength from our senior class we should get there. So we turn to our younger guys to develop them, and they're a ways off."

... and people here are up in arms because PP won't tell them exactly what he is thinking in a media interview. Vanilla is good sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom