Anyone heard anything about the 2015 Pomeroy award? | The Boneyard

Anyone heard anything about the 2015 Pomeroy award?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Just noticed that the "other" Naismith award, the Pomeroy award given to players 5'8" or under, was given to Odyssey Sims last year in early March, but any kind of search I do turns up nothing about the 2015 winner, and the official winners lists go only through 2014. Seems like it would have been a natural for a certain UConn PG, for an award that included past Husky winners of Jen in 1995 and Renee in 2009, and started in 1984 with Kim Mulkey as the original claimant. Just wondering if it was discontinued or something. MoJeff did get the WBCA's Lieberman award, so maybe they think that's enough for her.

List of winners

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Couldn't remember the name but posted on some thread a question about who had won this. Be strange if it was discontinued.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, just kind of odd that there's nothing about it, especially for an award that's usually announced pretty early on. It isn't like it's a late type of Honda award. But I'm pretty sure if they had given it out that the WBCA PR team would have covered it and updated the winners list since it's under their jurisdiction. Maybe they're still working on the height requirement since it was raised from 5'6" to 5'8". If it goes up to 6'4", Stewie could add another one to her haul, though I couldn't really imagine her as an undersized player.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wow thanks for the info. There are a lot of awards, but you would think one that recognized the top small player in the game would be a keeper, unless they think it mirrors the Lieberman award for the PG too much. Odd that the WBCA have no reference that the award has been discontinued on its Pomeroy page. Another past winner was Kara Lawson, and it has a fairly distinguished roll call of winners.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow thanks for the info. There are a lot of awards, but you would think one that recognized the top small player in the game would be a keeper, unless they think it mirrors the Lieberman award for the PG too much.
That and the Staley Award. An under 5-8 award has to go to a guard. Maybe already enough guard awards??

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't try to confuse us up the wazoo, Grey Fox. Pomeroys are a dime a dozen, and the Frances Pomeroy (Naismith daughter in law) is not the Edward Pomeroy of the college education acclimation awards trophy. Education really has not a whole lot to do with college basketball in a lot of cases, and from the picture below of this year's Edward Pomeroy education winner Pamela Grossman (center, pumps, black jacket, black-and-white lined dress and smiling big time), she appears to be at least 5'9" and definitely unqualified by size for the Frances Pomeroy award.

Pam-100-tall.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro