Anyone else worried about kids playing too much basketball? | The Boneyard

Anyone else worried about kids playing too much basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has been on my mind for years. Sports injuries seemed to be relatively rare back in the day. As I recall, you'd get a busted collarbone at times in football, sometimes a sprained ankle in basketball, maybe a shin splint or a pulled hamstring here or there in one sport or another on occasion.......not to mention that you'd pitch both ends of a double-header in baseball. But nothing like what we see today.

Does anyone else cringe when our kids are playing for their high school team and their AAU team and for this-age quasi Olympic team or that-age quasi Olympic team, and the 5 on 5 or the 3 on 3? I do. The very latest example is Samuelson out for the third time in rather short order. (The latest sports science findings say to me that over-training can be as conducive to illness, one of Samuelson's recent issues, as it is to injury. Just last season, Lewis had some of each herself, and she was not alone.)

Sure, it's fun to see how "Our Girls" do in these various competitions, but I'd be just as pleased to see our kids taking most of the summer off to be with their families.....maybe playing in a local summer league a couple nights a week for several weeks.....and I think it would be healthier all around (not just physically) for them.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
No, but I am worried about the boys...

Back in the day (as in Nera White through Nancy Lieberman) women played tons of games - sometimes three or four in a day, no trainer... and they had (or didn't have) injuries.

There a greater volume of player playing, and we're hearing more about folks.

I think specialization hurts folks more than overplaying.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You simply cannot get away from one of TJIs points - we are hearing more about folks, not only because of the increase in general communication media but also because sports were much more "closed" years ago - I'm sure Babe Ruth's behavior would have shocked fans. Plus, now, folks actually care about women stars (well, at least some of us); the interested folks are an ever increasing group, especially compared to the Lieberman days, for example.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
In KLS case she hasnt played any AAU ball this year and last summer she only played in the last two tournaments in July as her old club team Cal Swish was shorthanded going into those tournaments. She played last summer for the USA U16 event in Mexico and the USAU18 3x3 event in Indonesia. Thats not a lot vs playing all summer with an AAU team. Most of her teammates on those teams also played club ball. This past summer she was on the U17 USA team in The Czech Republic Republic and the 3x3 Youth Olympic team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't know
In the old days we played 3 on 3 half court
every day after school until it got to dark to see and
all day Saturday and Sunday.
One big difference was that we switched to soft ball and stick ball in the summer.

I supposed that makes a difference.

Reaction Score
No, I am not worried. Injuries are a part of sports most often from freak occurrences. Of course there is a likely correlation between time spent on a basketball court and one's chance of injury. Spending less time on a court will then prompt some to question one's work ethic, one's commitment to the game, etc.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't think your original premise is correct. You reminded me that we anticipated a great senior basketball team back in 1965. One by one, each of the starters got a season ending injury. The star player ruined his knee in Football. The other four each had various injuries.

Tom Penders was a pretty good pitcher for his Dad at Stratford High. His senior year, he started every game for the first eight games. Then, his arm gave out, and he never pitched again that season.

Injuries are a part of Sports. I'm sure there were a lot of potentially great athletes who never were due to injuries...

Reaction Score
These kids that are recruited by UConn are the best of the best and there is only one way to get that way and that is to play the best. Competition is what drives these kids and they are constantly looking for better players to play against to refine their game. Samuelson is as good as she is for a reason and that is because of how hard she works at the game.

In regards to there being more injuries today versus years past I don't think the amount of games played is a factor at all. I think we are seeing more injuries in today's game because of the size and strength of modern athletes. These girls get so big(muscle mass) and strong due to weight lifting programs that their tendons and ligaments can't strengthen at the same rate and therefore we are seeing more injuries to the joints.

Reaction Score
I think the adults (men and women) play too many games. 82 games in the NBA, with potentially 20+ more playoff games is just stupid. Adult bodies need time to recover. Look at Dwayne Wade, who is an absolutely brilliant athlete - about 10 minutes a week. Has to pick his spots because his knees are basically worn out.

And the women who play in the WNBA and overseas aren't far behind. Maya has been healthy all year, "healthy" being a figure of speech for "can play." She mentioned her diet helping her, and losing 10 pounds has made it easier on her knees, which basically hurt all the time. This type thing is overuse injury, not caused by a "getting hurt" event.

I don't have any facts, don't know if there even are any trend stats or anything, but for a while it has seemed like a lot of elite college WBB players are well on their way to having their knees, shoulders, ankles, etc., worn out by the time they get to the WNBA. Now it seems like that's going on at the elite HS level going into college.

Just my subjective observation/concern.

Reaction Score
Well if they had to drop something I'd vote for all this 3x3 nonsense. What good is all that preparation, travel and other expenses just for four girls to play a few 5 - 7 minute games to masacre grossly inferior opponents? Is there some sort of enviable medal or lasting recognition to winning 21 - 2 over a few girls who evidentally just learned what a basketball is? Big deal! I just think they'd be better off staying home, camping with their families, doing volunteer work or some other physical and mental diversion. Let their bodies heal and grow, give them time to be a kid, have a rest from the pressure and come back to BB refreshed.
Yea, I know I'm old fashioned.

Reaction Score
So true, great to keep kids busy but you also have to allow them to be kids for a month or so.

Reaction Score
I don't know
In the old days we played 3 on 3 half court
every day after school until it got to dark to see and
all day Saturday and Sunday.
One big difference was that we switched to soft ball and stick ball in the summer.

I supposed that makes a difference.

MSF: I think that might well be a factor. Though, in starting the thread, I mentioned sports science, I make no claim to having any expertise in that realm. However, I do some reading therein, and it occurs to me that there seems to be an increased emphasis on the importance of cross-training these days. Most of us used to play two or three different sports, as you point out.....maybe we were cross-training way back then?

ALL: very interesting responses, I'd say. Like Alex and others, just trying to help tide us over until practice starts.

(I haven't tried to tabulate yet how many think there are more injuries now and how many don't, but maybe I'll get to that)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Obviously. the 3x3 competition to date (including Egypt) has not proven to be any sort of strain.
Probably the fairer competition against the lower ranked teams would be their 3 against our 2.
Playing 8 or 10 minutes of 3x3 barely gets you warmed up.

Reaction Score
Worrying about players playing year round? Forget that
I'm worried about year round posting to The Boneyard. Some even are members of other sites. Never a day off. The mental and physical fatigue. It's quite obvious the damage that is doing.

Reaction Score
Worrying about players playing year round? Forget that
I'm worried about year round posting to The Boneyard. Some even are members of other sites. Never a day off. The mental and physical fatigue. It's quite obvious the damage that is doing.

TRI: Funny stuff. TRI to hang in there, Dude.

HGN

Reaction Score
Its a very fine line of how much to play to improve and get a lot better ; but not to play so much as to enhance injury. To me its an individual player call.

If they don't play and practice they will not get any better. More than likely they will regress if they don't play and practice. So they play and practice to the point of exhaustion , or until they see significant improvement. Some play to get better ; some play to keep conditioning. Some play just because they love it.

IMHO , its an individual player call.

G

genosguy

No, but I am worried about the boys...

Back in the day (as in Nera White through Nancy Lieberman) women played tons of games - sometimes three or four in a day, no trainer... and they had (or didn't have) injuries.

There a greater volume of player playing, and we're hearing more about folks.

I think specialization hurts folks more than overplaying.
I don t have numbers but my gut tells me that when you start playing before age 10 in AAU , play school ball same time, move up to middle school/AAU, High School/AAU College with 20 hours or more per week--the knees and hips are taking a beating that I doublt Mss White or Liberman went thru. Sure we all played a lot of basketball, un trainer, most times un coached, after school and all weekends. And if we could find and indoor court we were thrilled. Both my knees need rebuilding--hips are painful--walk a lot because itś supposed to be good. So Like the originator of this thread, I have my worries for the Women some men too.

G

genosguy

Well if they had to drop something I'd vote for all this 3x3 nonsense. What good is all that preparation, travel and other expenses just for four girls to play a few 5 - 7 minute games to masacre grossly inferior opponents? Is there some sort of enviable medal or lasting recognition to winning 21 - 2 over a few girls who evidentally just learned what a basketball is? Big deal! I just think they'd be better off staying home, camping with their families, doing volunteer work or some other physical and mental diversion. Let their bodies heal and grow, give them time to be a kid, have a rest from the pressure and come back to BB refreshed.
Yea, I know I'm old fashioned.
j66kicker and you make superb points---I too think the 3 on 3 is wasteful. Itś as you say, short duration games against inferior players (usually). I would rather see OUR incoming 2015 recruits playing 5 on 5 even for short term games.

But the point of this thread is---the impact on Women BB players of all the running and pounding their bodies take. I hate it.
But if you want to know how your Recruits stand up against good to great player--they must play USA summer. Now Geno has the last couple of years shortened his practice and playing time and started his season later---to rest " his women.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don t have numbers but my gut tells me that when you start playing before age 10 in AAU , play school ball same time, move up to middle school/AAU, High School/AAU College with 20 hours or more per week--the knees and hips are taking a beating that I doublt Mss White or Liberman went thru. Sure we all played a lot of basketball, un trainer, most times un coached, after school and all weekends. And if we could find and indoor court we were thrilled. Both my knees need rebuilding--hips are painful--walk a lot because itś supposed to be good. So Like the originator of this thread, I have my worries for the Women some men too.

I must be lucky
Played ball all the time into my 20's
I suppose important that I stopped, but took up skiing and tennis in the army
after that only skiing into my mid-30's…and then nothing much for 30 years.
So my knees and hips didn't take the mid-20's to 30's pounding, that may be an important decade

Now I ski most days, play BB for an hour and do power walks, no problem… won't even speak about my god-awful return to tennis.
With the most minor of knee issues and no hips.
just turned 75

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Regarding KLS, I think she will not have much play time before her HS season starts for Mater Dei in late November. Practice time yes, but playtime, no.
However, she might play two games in the fall view period for Mater Dei. There is a HS/Club Tournament at Mater Dei on the weekend of September 27th.

Many of the top coaches, including possibly coaches from UConn will be there.
Elbert Kinnebrew CPA @Calsparks1 · 22h
UCONN is expecting to Attend the Cali Fall Showcase Sept 27 at Mater Dei. #CaliFallShowcase
https://twitter.com/calsparks1

http://www.calsparksevents.com/#!california/c1u7h

I will probably attend and will fill you in on whats up.

G

genosguy

Its a very fine line of how much to play to improve and get a lot better ; but not to play so much as to enhance injury. To me its an individual player call.

If they don't play and practice they will not get any better. More than likely they will regress if they don't play and practice. So they play and practice to the point of exhaustion , or until they see significant improvement. Some play to get better ; some play to keep conditioning. Some play just because they love it.

IMHO , its an individual player call.
I think there are so many drills and shooting exercises that don t require running, jumping, rebounding that will pay big time that can be done that saves the bodies. Also understanding the mental parts of the game don t always require doing it--Iknow muscle memory and all that--but basketball is about using the brain too. Practices ARE important--but not for 2 hours or more per day. Most Women College teams in January are having physical injuries and mental degradation because of the long hours of travel/practice/travel/play /classroom /play/travel/practice schedules. The proof to me is in the puddin.

Would I follow the UConn men and Women if they didnt practice as much and maybe loose more--it would be hard--but Ive done it for near 50 years with a lot of losing during that time. And what I ve love, even againt the best (like Umass Dr. J) my team was full of STUDENTs that played their hearts out for the Dog on their uniforms, and me. Losses are always hard, but losing isnt everything--being a Fan is not about just supporting a National Champ--but the school that team represents and the great women/men who play the game.

G

genosguy

I must be lucky
Played ball all the time into my 20's
I suppose important that I stopped, but took up skiing and tennis in the army
after that only skiing into my mid-30's…and then nothing much for 30 years.
So my knees and hips didn't take the mid-20's to 30's pounding, that may be an important decade

Now I ski most days, play BB for an hour and do power walks, no problem… won't even speak about my god-awful return to tennis.
With the most minor of knee issues and no hips.
just turned 75
I was physically fit at 75--packed up my whole house furniture in a uhaul truck, loaded , unloaded (include the refrig) furntiure, with just me n wife. Drove 500 plus miles unloaded, and drove right back for another load. Knees and hips didnt hurt then--played stone age basketball in Tolland until much too old. Now I have one replaced knee and the other waiting (I do it when it falls off) The house is superb, 12 acres , 95 ft long brick house (taxes 1750 per year) .
So Kid---just wait.

Reaction Score
I was physically fit at 75--packed up my whole house furniture in a uhaul truck, loaded , unloaded (include the refrig) furntiure, with just me n wife. Drove 500 plus miles unloaded, and drove right back for another load. Knees and hips didnt hurt then--played stone age basketball in Tolland until much too old. Now I have one replaced knee and the other waiting (I do it when it falls off) The house is superb, 12 acres , 95 ft long brick house (taxes 1750 per year) .
So Kid---just wait.
j66kicker and you make superb points---I too think the 3 on 3 is wasteful. Itś as you say, short duration games against inferior players (usually). I would rather see OUR incoming 2015 recruits playing 5 on 5 even for short term games.

But the point of this thread is---the impact on Women BB players of all the running and pounding their bodies take. I hate it.
But if you want to know how your Recruits stand up against good to great player--they must play USA summer. Now Geno has the last couple of years shortened his practice and playing time and started his season later---to rest " his women.

Reaction Score
One of the questions regarding tournament play and whether it causes an unnecessary load on the athlete's body is what would the athlete be doing if not in an organized tournament. I suspect most would be playing hoops locally and in the case of the ladies, probably playing against men. Ages ago when working in Denver and before being a boneyarder, I played at a club in Highlands Ranch. This tall blonde was there virtually all the time playing pick up and banging the ball inside where no mercy was given. her name was Ann Strother. This is what they do all day( and evening).
The 3x3 is probably a much lighter physical load that relies on fundamentals such as moving w/o the ball, boxing out and one on one defense. They are probably enjoying a better diet, bonding and learning team play at the same time.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
IMO it depends on the body. Obviously they are not just playing, they are practicing on top, along with probably a bunch of other things that need to be done to keep one at a certain level. When the body is injured or run done it can really take it's toll and cause a multitude if other problems. Bria is an example of what can happen. At some point it is bound to catch up and you probably need to shut it down. Then there is the added pressure in these situations of the athlete wanting to compete and win. It can be a fine line of what is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom