Anyone else think we're going to repeat? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone else think we're going to repeat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope your reasoning skills don't carry over to your professional life.

In case you've been on the moon, we've won multiple championships since 99' and 04'. You might want to change your username.

Reaction Score
2016 is our next crack at it. This years team will have growing pains, be up and down, make the tourney, and probably bow out in the sweet 16.

Honestly, I think we have a crack at it every season. It isn't something I expect, obviously, but I'm not ready to write any season off as a bridge year after what happened in 2011. There is enough talent on the 2015 team to win. The rest of it is just impossible to predict.

Reaction Score
I am making T-Shirts now that say 36-0 2014-15. The tag will say; Made by Delusional Americans in Upstate NY. $19.99 plus shipping

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Two things: Almost every team that makes the Final Four loses its best player, and often more, the following year, but it's hardly unusual for the blueblood programs, which Uconn is at this point, to make it back to the Final Four twice in a row. And Uconn has a pretty damn good record when they get there...
Secondly, Boatright isn't the same player as Shabbaz, but he's a helluva lot more prepared to take over as the floor general of this team than than Shabbaz was as a sophomore (the year after Kemba left). Whatever the deficiencies of this year's team, I doubt point guard is going to be one of them.

True, but we've been to 5 final fours and never made it back to back. In fact, we even missed the tournment last time we lost out MOP AA stud (KW).

I'll concede that having RB back is a huge, huge benefit. Senior stud PG is everything. So much more important than having DD come back.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think we have a crack at it every season. It isn't something I expect, obviously, but I'm not ready to write any season off as a bridge year after what happened in 2011. There is enough talent on the 2015 team to win. The rest of it is just impossible to predict.

I think the alpha is there in Boat and that's the biggest piece. We've got the guard play again. We were lucky to see the roles crystallize in 2011 the way they did and 2014 the roles were largely known in the off season.

I worry about all the new parts gelling.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
True, but we've been to 5 final fours and never made it back to back. In fact, we even missed the tournment last time we lost out MOP AA stud (KW).

I'll concede that having RB back is a huge, huge benefit. Senior stud PG is everything. So much more important than having DD come back.
You've blocked out Iowa State.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What a loser mentality. I was confident we would win the National Championship before last season and considering we've won over 26% of the NC's over the past 15 years I KNOW I'm realistic. 50% isn't exactly going out on a limb when you win 1 in 4. So much defeatist mentality on this board, I have to wonder how much that carries over to your professional lives.

Yeah but you sound a little like RutgersAl...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a homer, but I'm thinking we may never lose again, now that Coach Ollie is LOCKED IN. Every year's team will be more talented than the prior year's team and will also have MORE HEART. Coach Ollie will never leave because he LOVES UCONN and NO JOB IN THE WORLD COULD BE BETTER.

I'm getting a "UCONN HUSKIES NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 2014-2072" tattoo on my lower leg. Both lower legs. WHO'S WITH ME???????????? (Besides huskiesnyc, I mean.)

tonyc, is that you? (women's board)

Reaction Score
The addition of Hamilton + Purvis + cassell> any additions from 2012. Lets not write it off fellas, i know many have a tendancy to claim purvis is no better than dyson. But we are adding 3 members to our backcourt after losing an all american pg, in 2012 we added a stud center when we already had a frontcourt.

Kentucky with cauley stein is the best team in the country, and will win a ton of games. Nobody else sticks out. Zona has no shooting. We would literally destroy a wisconsin backourt.

Reaction Score
What a loser mentality. I was confident we would win the National Championship before last season and considering we've won over 26% of the NC's over the past 15 years I KNOW I'm realistic. 50% isn't exactly going out on a limb when you win 1 in 4. So much defeatist mentality on this board, I have to wonder how much that carries over to your professional lives.

You really went too far here. I think people were starting to take you seriously.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
We'll have to revisit this question in January. There's just to many unknowns.
We have t seen Facey, DHam, Sam Jr., Lubin and even Purvis play yet. We don't even know what Omar we're getting . How much will Tsam , Nolan and Brimah improve ? The only guy we've seen play and can pencil in as solid is Boat. They'll be practice and scrimmage wars to determine the starters and the depth chart. Give it about 10-15 games and then Repost this question. It's all a complete mystery. Beautiful!!!!

Reaction Score
We'll have to revisit this question in January. There's just to many unknowns.
We have t seen Facey, DHam, Sam Jr., Lubin and even Purvis play yet. We don't even know what Omar we're getting . How much will Tsam , Nolan and Brimah improve ? The only guy we've seen play and can pencil in as solid is Boat. They'll be practice and scrimmage wars to determine the starters and the depth chart. Give it about 10-15 games and then Repost this question. It's all a complete mystery. Beautiful!!!!
This is a list of things to observe in the early season

Who is taking the forward spot by the horns? I stated we could repeat, but that would need atleast average play from facey/ smallball dham/ nolan, not below average. rebounding, rotations etc. Nolan has terrific defensive iq and aggressiveness, but physically isn't quick enough to guard fours. ( or hit follow line extended jumpers. god this coulld be daunting). Playing hamilton would increase offensive potency with ball handeling and long range shooting, but he dooesn't have deandre daniels' wingspan for shot blocking and rebounding.

Can boat take his game to new heights? He will have to look like a different player, different than aurora boat, different than 1-3 years in storrs boat. Keeping his defensive aggressive and moving the ball on offense are the keys with him. If he does this, look out. He needs to allow purvis/hamilton handle the isos more, while boat can score in transition and conserve energy for defensive destruction.

Then you have other things like how much brimah has progressed in his footwork, which would lead to him not getting ticky tack follows. and improve his rebounding.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Watch we'll lose to Duke or Texas or Florida and then people on here will be saying the following:
  • Boat can't lead the team.
  • Boat's 3-pt game is unreliable and inconsistent.
  • Boat turns the ball over too much
  • Why can't Boat be more like Bazz?
  • Purvis isn't a reliable scoring option.
  • Brimah is too small, he's getting pushed around.
  • Nolan needs an offensive game.
  • Why can't Hamilton score 15 a game consistently?
  • Calhoun needs to learn how to dribble.
  • Facey needs to learn how to rebound against bigger opponents.
  • Samuel and Cassell need to minimize mistakes.
  • Lenehan isn't getting the boys ready for gameday.
  • Why doesn't Ollie play Facey at the 3?
  • Why aren't we shooting 95% from the FT line?
You guys pick one. This will be the talk of the Yard in a half of a year - we're gonna lose games. Its basketball. No one goes undefeated unless you play in the Missouri Valley Conference.

We're gonna lose probably 3-10 games before the tournament. Its gonna take awhile to adjust to life without Shabazz. Every possession last season that Bazz bailed us out late in the shot clock with a deep 3 or a mid-range J or a pass for an open 3 probably won't fall for us in the first half of the season. You don't lose a player like Shabazz Napier, who's been here for 4.5 years, and expect to repeat and go undefeated.

With that being said, I'm not making a "repeat or bust" or any other final conclusion until we see the team play.

Reaction Score
"why can't boat be more like bazz" + " Purvis isn't a consistent scorer option" . both of those will be regurgitated ad nausem, stamp that. Mainly because so much of our potential hinges on a backcourt with tremendous upside. This year from purvis means so much on an even grander scale: recruiting. How he looks this year ( if he declares in 2015) really showcases what KO can do with a prospect. he's already done it with brimah, but with a guard also...wow.

Reaction Score
OP needs a dose of husky91 in his life. Sure, we have a chance, but this type of delusional belongs on Rupp Rafters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All I know is that I am going to plunk a few bucks in the future book on them. Worked last year.

Reaction Score
Watch we'll lose to Duke or Texas or Florida and then people on here will be saying the following:
  • Boat can't lead the team.
  • Boat's 3-pt game is unreliable and inconsistent.
  • Boat turns the ball over too much
  • Why can't Boat be more like Bazz?
  • Purvis isn't a reliable scoring option.
  • Brimah is too small, he's getting pushed around.
  • Nolan needs an offensive game.
  • Why can't Hamilton score 15 a game consistently?
  • Calhoun needs to learn how to dribble.
  • Facey needs to learn how to rebound against bigger opponents.
  • Samuel and Cassell need to minimize mistakes.
  • Lenehan isn't getting the boys ready for gameday.
  • Why doesn't Ollie play Facey at the 3?
  • Why aren't we shooting 95% from the FT line?
You guys pick one. This will be the talk of the Yard in a half of a year - we're gonna lose games. Its basketball. No one goes undefeated unless you play in the Missouri Valley Conference.

We're gonna lose probably 3-10 games before the tournament. Its gonna take awhile to adjust to life without Shabazz. Every possession last season that Bazz bailed us out late in the shot clock with a deep 3 or a mid-range J or a pass for an open 3 probably won't fall for us in the first half of the season. You don't lose a player like Shabazz Napier, who's been here for 4.5 years, and expect to repeat and go undefeated.

With that being said, I'm not making a "repeat or bust" or any other final conclusion until we see the team play.
You are forgetting one important bullet; Freescooter will return as a regular and rejuvenated poster.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You are forgetting one important bullet; Freescooter will return as a regular and rejuvenated poster.
And Fishy will take over upstate New York and secede from the nation.

Reaction Score
What a loser mentality. I. . . I have to wonder how much that carries over to your professional lives.
Too much dude!
Let me put it this way . . .
If I gave my clients advice that was equivalent to "UConn has a 50% chance of repeating in '15," I wouldn't be in business much longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom