Any news on possible expansion for the big east anytime soon? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any news on possible expansion for the big east anytime soon?

Reaction Score
None of those schools are ideal. How do any of those schools move the revenue needle? If the Big East were smart, they would wait until the ACC gets picked apart and grab a couple schools.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the BE tv contract is up in about 2 years. No doubt expansion is discussed internally right now. The networks will have much input. So unless there is huge change with the ACC then the BE options are limited to non P5 schools. Gonzaga makes no sense for us or them for many reasons. Dayton and Temple would be great choices but due to proximity to Xavier & Temple won’t happen. That leaves the schools most of us have mentioned. For us, a New ACC without all the deeper south schools would be perfect long term.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That handle screams Edward R Murrow.
Eddie R Munster, maybe? There are a few rumors out there about the big 12 and the big east. None of them are particularly credible, but it’s nice to be back in the discussion.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Eddie R Munster, maybe? There are a few rumors out there about the big 12 and the big east. None of them are particularly credible, but it’s nice to be back in the discussion.
I have been wondering for the past year or so if there was some value to the idea of merging the B12 and BE as a combined media package. Not merging the conferences per se, but as a combined package. Obviously each conf would have its own very different compensation, and perhaps the B12 would even have tiers within itself. The purpose of the combined bundling is simply to again create a near national product which I happen to think the streaming services would really prefer to see.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
There was a rumor floated on the SJU board a year ago of the Big 10 doing this exact thing with the Big East. Doesn't mean this rumor has any credibility but it isn't the first time this idea has been floated around.

Big East going to Big Ten?

Honestly, I can see the Big East partnering with the Big10, selling some basketball games to the BTN while having an agreement on a certain number of games played. It would do well for both leagues.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have been wondering for the past year or so if there was some value to the idea of merging the B12 and BE as a combined media package. Not merging the conferences per se, but as a combined package. Obviously each conf would have its own very different compensation, and perhaps the B12 would even have tiers within itself. The purpose of the combined bundling is simply to again create a near national product which I happen to think the streaming services would really prefer to see.
Bifurcate the football and basketball deals. Either the basketball numbers will be an improvement for the Big East or it will not. I am very wary of tying our fortunes to a P5 conference unless we are making P5 money.

Reaction Score

For whatever that’s worth.

That tweet saying that UConn is going to the Big 12 was written by a TCU fan.

The tweet saying that UConn was going to the Big East was written by a St. John's fan.

CL82

Reaction Score
That tweet saying that UConn is going to the Big 12 was written by a TCU fan.

The tweet saying that UConn was going to the Big East was written by a St. John's fan.
Aren’t they both the same tweet?

Reaction Score
Aren’t they both the same tweet?
The tweet you posted is from a TCU fan.

The second tweet I was talking about is the UConn to the Big East tweet that was posted by a St. John's fan. People pooh-poohed that tweet... Just saying.

Reaction Score
It's unclear if the Gonzaga board is parroting the same information or if they are "corroborating" the initial tweet. A frequent poster on their site said he is "hearing" this as well. Most likely hearing voices in his head but here's the link.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's unclear if the Gonzaga board is parroting the same information or if they are "corroborating" the initial tweet. A frequent poster on their site said he is "hearing" this as well. Most likely hearing voices in his head but here's the link.

Way more likely Gonzaga and Creighton go to the Big 12 than this. Matt Norlander (CBS Sports) mentioned on this podcast that a 2nd team west of the Mississippi is possible.

Reaction Score
Way more likely Gonzaga and Creighton go to the Big 12 than this. Matt Norlander (CBS Sports) mentioned on this podcast that a 2nd team west of the Mississippi is possible.
I think ultimately there will be 3 major coast to coast conferences. Not sure myself whether or not we'll be included in such an arrangement.

Reaction Score
Don't know about conferences....but sure looks like P2, M3, G5...(Middle 3)

Reaction Score

The tweet is from a TCU fan. The poster on the Gonzaga board said "Info that was relayed to me came out of Kansas".

Reaction Score
Does anybody in The Big 12 realize that Gonzaga is in The State of Washington? I'm sorry but that program is a Mark Few leaving away from returning to obscurity. The Big 12 is likely the top basketball conference already, how does adding Gonzaga benefit their current members? I could see the PAC entertaining a partial add to boost their league, but does Texas Tech and UCF really want to travel to Spokane to play basketball games?

Reaction Score
Does anybody in The Big 12 realize that Gonzaga is in The State of Washington? I'm sorry but that program is a Mark Few leaving away from returning to obscurity. The Big 12 is likely the top basketball conference already, how does adding Gonzaga benefit their current members? I could see the PAC entertaining a partial add to boost their league, but does Texas Tech and UCF really want to travel to Spokane to play basketball games?

Reaction Score
God i hope the big east doesn’t take them…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom