Antonelli + Mowins and what it takes to beat UConn, plus that other issue | The Boneyard

Antonelli + Mowins and what it takes to beat UConn, plus that other issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
On ESPNw Deb Antonelli and Beth Mowins discussed that Holy Grail question of how will any team be able to beat UConn this year (offensive contributions from all players, score early in possession, scoring in space instead of pounding the paint, defend one on one, belief you can do it) along with mentioning how the hands- off rules in defense has supposedly opened up scoring, increased upsets, and created greater parity and made both of these commentators very happy. Oregon is averaging 105 ppg. Take that, MCBB chauvinists!

But the big issue is the 63 number, the distance that South Bend is closer to Storrs than Louisville, and since the two sites are regional hosts that means that a #1 seeded overall UConn would be sent to ND's home. Antonelli appears to believe this is a faintly apocalyptic situation. Just have to see how it all works out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
At this point ND is quite likely to get a 1 seed as well so chance of Uconn at ND for the regional is very unlikely. The issue I have is if Louisville is a 2 seed would they really send Uconn there for a fourth meeting and having a regional likely include the only two AAC high ranked teams.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At this point ND is quite likely to get a 1 seed as well so chance of Uconn at ND for the regional is very unlikely. The issue I have is if Louisville is a 2 seed would they really send Uconn there for a fourth meeting and having a regional likely include the only two AAC high ranked teams.
Yes, I believe they would do that given the number of matchups with ND the past 3 years.

Reaction Score
The only team that can beat UConn is UConn. As long as they continue to run, share the ball, make the extra pass, hit the three, and play defense, nobody will beat them.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I wasn't aware of the miles, but I have repeatedly brought up seeding this year and ND/Louisville.

Assuming ND either wins the ACC regular season or tourney they will be the #1 seed. If Duke and ND split I could see both of them being #1 seeds along with UCONN and Stanford!

That leaves the question of placement. I want UCONN in Nebraska and send Duke to Louisville!

I realize that Louisville would be closer but I hate playing teams 4 times a season. Anyone. Whether it be ND or Louisville. Meeting in a FF is different. But you shouldn't have to go through a conference foes home court to make it to a FF.

Besides if would be interesting to see 2 AAC teams possibly in the FF(assuming Louisville does it again).

Situations like this make the conference schedules more important this season I think or at least in the ACC. Maryland and UNC could eclipse either Duke or ND in the regular season.

Great basketball coming our way!!!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, i guess rules can be bent, but according to Deb and Beth the #1 seed has to go to the nearest regional, so first they'd have to bend that rule. As to UConn and Louisville, that's also an issue but it's not a given that say Louisville is a #2 that those teams will necessarily meet, though it has happened that #1 and #2 have met 6 times out of 8 in the last two tourneys. They really should just switch Bridgeport again for South Bend and let ND go to Louisville. That would make us all happy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't think the committee is going to adhere strictly to its rule about the closest regional, not in a year in which the NCAA has moved away from neutral sites and is allowing 4 teams to host regionals at their on-campus facilities and not in a year in which no regional will be played on the east coast. This year is unique (the NCAA is returning to neutral sites next year) and I think this uniqueness demands that the committee not strictly adhere to its geography rule. The "closest regional" rule is supposed to reward the number 1 seed. UConn and its fans will be getting on an airplane in any event so it should be rewarded by playing on the home court of the lowest seeded team (i.e., Nebraska). Is the committee really going to compare distances from Hartfort to South Bend, Louisville and Lincoln? Seems silly to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No matter what the so-called rules are, UCONN will go to Nebr. with PSU as a #2; #2 TN will go to #1 Stanford; #2 MD will go to #1 ND; & #1 Duke will go to #2 L'ville! PSU will win the BIG 10 Tourney getting a #2 seed! If Baylor wins the BIG 12 they can be a #2 in Nebr. and PSU drops to a 3! This situation the NCAA has set up is beyond assine/stupid and any other comparable terms! If the NCAA knows they're only going to do this system for 1 year then go to neutral sites now! Geno, Tara, Muffett, Jeff, were on the committee discussing this and all 4 said no way should schools host regionals and the NCAA ignored them! You can't put UCONN with potential FF teams like Stanford, ND, or L'ville so they have to go to Nebr. and TN is playing themselves into a middle #2 so they have to go to Stanford sending the 2 biggest traveling college fans to Nebr. & Calif. STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Charlie Creme has UCONN with ND in his 1st Bracketology it'll NEVER happen!

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
PSU will not likely be a 2. They are currently ranked 14.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I posted first without actually listening and I think the big point they were making is the current rule and one they have adhered to in recent years to the detriment of logic is the highest seed on each line gets given the closest location and at this time you can pretty safely say that rule is not going to be applied because ND will not be sent away if they are a 1 seed. So ... they are calling for the committee to admit they have a nightmare of 'inconsistency' coming and publicly state that 'proximity' as the guiding principle is being suspended for the 2014 tournament before they get into their meetings.
They created this problem for 2014 by choosing to suspend the hosting of regionals rule anyway, so step up to the plate and admit that in suspending that rule they also need to suspend the proximity rule for the good of the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom