Another Radio Game for most... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another Radio Game for most...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get that but I also don't get it. If that makes any sense?

I understand UConn's situation killing someone's passion for college sports in general, but at the same time college sports are awesome - so how do you not watch.

I know I'm an outlier because I love mid major basketball - but just today I watched a good amount of:
LaSalle, VCU, George Mason, George Washington, Sacred Heart, SF PA, Syracuse, Miami, St John's, Butler, UConn, Rutgers, CCSU, FDU, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, Purdue and I'm watching BYU/Gonzaga/SDSU/Utah State currently. When I was stuck in the car I listened to Nova/Marquette on XM.

So I get the general depression from UConn's situation... But I liked college football before UConn upgraded and I liked college basketball when UConn couldn't make the NIT so maybe I just was conditioned to have parallel interests.

If I'm not a betting on a game I find it really hard to get into non-UConn games these days.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this is the case for others out there, but this season I watched UConn football and the national championship and this basketball season I haven't watched any games besides UConn.

I'm more into UConn than I ever have been but CR has diminished my interest beyond repair. I watched every BE game in the past and now I just don't care.
I'm the same way. Loved watching all Big East games, and all interesting college basketball games. Now I watch only UConn football, and basketball. I hate all the other conferences and teams, and don't care about the outcomes of any other games, so don't watch them, don't even read about them.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I switched to DirectTV at one point because they had ESPNU in HD and Comcast didn't. I am shocked at times how many people here are UConn fans only and not college sports fans in general.

I have had Directv for over 15 years. Never had any issues watching Uconn on any channel. Get it and you will be fine.

Reaction Score
I've had DirectTV and AT&T U-verse over the past twenty years and haven't had too a much of a challenge finding UConn. Unlike some, I don't have a problem watching the occasional game on ESPN3. You'll see a bump in visibility for UConn Football next year, which is one of the very, very few silver linings associated with being in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I have a package which gives me ESPNU, CBSSN, NBCSN, NFL Network, MLB Network, and Red Zone for about $12 a month. That is a bargain for me, especially when I get other channels that I may watch once in a blue moon (NBA TV/NHL Network). Hell, any two of those stations would be worth it. Somehow, in northeastern MA, I even get SNY in SD, though the Mets games are blacked out. I almost never miss a game. On top of that, with ESPN3/WatchESPN, there is nothing I can't see. Hell, the picture on my iPad or laptop is better than SNY SD so I just watch there anyway.

As for the discussion about college fans vs UConn fans, I have been much more willing to miss a college football or basketball game this year than in year's past. I think the way UConn's football season started really soured me on the sport this year. It used to be that I would only miss a big game on tv if I had tickets to a game at UConn but this year I was making plans on Saturday afternoons. Bowl season? Forget it. I watched New Year's Day and the B(C)S title game, that's it. Hoops? If I'm home and a big game is on, I'll watch but I can't bring myself to watch every Big Monday or major Saturday game like I used to. The kicker? With more sports networks than ever and Watch ESPN, I have the ability to see just about any game I want to, and I'm not as interested as I might have otherwise been.

Reaction Score
My TV somehow gets very little besides college basketball games this time of year. Friday nights it seems to work poorly but the other days it provides a very good variety in addition to all the UConn games!

Reaction Score
I'm the same way. Loved watching all Big East games, and all interesting college basketball games. Now I watch only UConn football, and basketball. I hate all the other conferences and teams, and don't care about the outcomes of any other games, so don't watch them, don't even read about them.
Who gives a about conference realignment? Do you like basketball or do you not? I love it that's why I watch a lot of other games and follow the sport.

Reaction Score
I switched to DirectTV at one point because they had ESPNU in HD and
Comcast didn't.

I am shocked at times how many people here are UConn fans only and not college sports fans in general.
I used to be a sports fan, but the CR has driven me away. I only watch UConn now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Who gives a about conference realignment? Do you like basketball or do you not? I love it that's why I watch a lot of other games and follow the sport.

I love UConn basketball and loved Big East rivalry basketball. Only one of those exists anymore.

So, if you want to say I don't love a random basketball game anymore, that's fair.

Reaction Score
I like quite a few sports and still watch a fair amount. But, I've made a conscious (and perhaps subconscious) effort to watch less P5 CFB and basketball when it doesn't involve UConn. I figure, why reward a system that has undermined one of the teams I follow. Apparently other people are turned off too. Total bowl viewership was down yet again.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No more Big Monday. Exposure that matters is less.

Reaction Score
I like quite a few sports and still watch a fair amount. But, I've made a conscious (and perhaps subconscious) effort to watch less P5 CFB and basketball when it doesn't involve UConn. I figure, why reward a system that has undermined one of the teams I follow. Apparently other people are turned off too. Total bowl viewership was down yet again.
You mean the Terminex Bowl or the Ribbed Trojan Bowl have no appeal? Like any sport if your team is just awful you lose interest.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Five more weeks and I cancel the extended sports package.

Basically every September I pick it up when CFB season starts and I keep it until the end of the conference tourney.

I only have the package to maximize the number of UConn games. From end of basketball to start of CFB, no need.

Reaction Score
have to say i just got U-verse this year, and have been able to see every game, so i am not complaining...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Yup. I've been spending an inordinate amount of time on firstrow this month. Welcome to the AAC.

At least next month we'll be on ESPN and ESPN2 a fair amount, with some CBS exposure against Louisville at the end of the year (hopefully they don't embarrass us on national television).

we're beating them

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I only really got into college football when I got to UConn in 05. I had meets in high school every Saturday in the fall so I never followed a team before that besides the once in a blue moon UConn was on tv and I was home.

I grew up on big east basketball and UConn. As much as I loved UConn, I loved being a big east fan just as much. Not to get all sappy on a sports board, but being a UConn and Big East guy meant a lot to me.

Big East football and Big East
basketball were college sports to me. Now? I really just don't care besides the Huskies. I'm sure I'll watch March Madness, but if I just watch UConn, I wouldn't be shocked. Sad, but that's the reality.

I mostly agree. Conference affiliation is dead to me, and I won't be a conference fan even if / when we join the ACC or B10, I'm just a UConn fan now

I loved the BEAST, I don't think I can ever love again

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get that but I also don't get it. If that makes any sense?

I understand UConn's situation killing someone's passion for college sports in general, but at the same time college sports are awesome - so how do you not watch.

For me, I need a rooting interest. I'll watch sports in the Olympics that I'll never watch again for four years. College sports these days, I hate every team but one.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I recently switched my package w/ Comcast and ended up getting the sports package for free until the end of basketball season. I just told the guy on the phone how much I needed it so I could watch UConn, he admitted that he was a BC fan, and then proceeded to give me the next 3 months free. I enjoyed that conversation very much.

Next year I will buy it from September through March. It would be worth the $10 a month for me even if I only watched UConn games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I recently switched my package w/ Comcast and ended up getting the sports package for free until the end of basketball season. I just told the guy on the phone how much I needed it so I could watch UConn, he admitted that he was a BC fan, and then proceeded to give me the next 3 months free. I enjoyed that conversation very much.

Next year I will buy it from September through March. It would be worth the $10 a month for me even if I only watched UConn games

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32