Another Academic Win: Select Designation for Healthcare Research | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another Academic Win: Select Designation for Healthcare Research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've always heard good things about UConn and the B1G. I just don't understand what's taking so long for the invite. I'm so tired of watching bad basketball UConn could help with this problem. If you want an invitation to the B1G see how UCONN is going about it. I've always said UConn is B1G . I just don't know when.

Reaction Score
I guess that's everyones million dollar question when? I read some of that flugaur guys posts and it sounds about right with UConn . We know its about academics and markets with the b1g and you pass that test .The b1g has to be waiting on team 16 as I believe will be Kansas although most say Virginia. It takes two for the b1g to expand. Here is what I think UConn, Kansas,oklahoma, texas the big 12 dies and it solves everyones problems almost.

Reaction Score
UConn brings that billion dollar research plus there market plus boston and nyc appeal and Kansas brings aau basketball and Kansas city. Oklahoma is improving academacally but not there yet but they have a blueblood program and Texas is Texas they have everything and we would have to take Oklahoma to have any shot at Texas and man I'm real drunk goodnight after watching that Illini game and getting beat by Oregon please god get some passionate basketball schools in this conference before I die.

Reaction Score
I've always heard good things about UConn and the B1G. I just don't understand what's taking so long for the invite. I'm so tired of watching bad basketball UConn could help with this problem. If you want an invitation to the B1G see how UCONN is going about it. I've always said UConn is B1G . I just don't know when.
The B1G HAS A RULE THAT YOU MUST BE IN THE AAU. Let us know when UConn gets into that association and then we can talk about getting an invite to the B1G. Until then, we need to start praying for a Big 12, SEC, or ACC invite because that's mostly likely where it's going to come from.

pj

Reaction Score
The B1G HAS A RULE THAT YOU MUST BE IN THE AAU. Let us know when UConn gets into that association and then we can talk about getting an invite to the B1G. Until then, we need to start praying for a Big 12, SEC, or ACC invite because that's mostly likely where it's going to come from.

There is no such rule. It is a preference and a policy, but if the B1G presidents decide they want a non-AAU institution, they will extend the invitation. Obviously if UConn can become AAU, the chances of the B1G presidents wanting to invite us get better. But lack of AAU status is not an absolute barrier, especially if AAU status is expected or if UConn's research status is close to AAU standards.

Reaction Score

Yep, there's no rule. Ands what happened with Nebraska shows they don't care. if FSU wanted to join, the B1G takes them instantly. Let's stic to worrying about UConn football, which is the big problem right now (and also the more solvable one).

Reaction Score
UConn brings that billion dollar research plus there market plus boston and nyc appeal and Kansas brings aau basketball and Kansas city. Oklahoma is improving academacally but not there yet but they have a blueblood program and Texas is Texas they have everything and we would have to take Oklahoma to have any shot at Texas and man I'm real drunk goodnight after watching that Illini game and getting beat by Oregon please god get some passionate basketball schools in this conference before I die.
The major population of Kansas City is in Missouri. Kansas City Kansas is much smaller.
What is the Kansas appeal in that Missouri City.
Other than hate.

Reaction Score
They would take Notre Dame in a heartbeat so don't start about the AAU. Is Nebraska in the AAU. The B1G knew that Nebraska was going to loose AAU status and they still took them. Like my source says UConn completes NYC and helps with Boston I trust him and his sources. UConn brings so much tv value because well there UConn and any school that has won multiple national championships in both mens and womens basketball would help with ratings on the BTN. Just watch the UConn and State game in the garden and tell me UConn don't have a following in NYC. UConn is doing what its supposed to do AAU membership takes years to achieve so

Reaction Score
the healthcare research is a major victory and opens new doors that were previously closed and UConn is building one hell of a resume for membership. P.S. if the AAU was the end all Buffalo would be in the B1G.

Reaction Score
They would take Notre Dame in a heartbeat so don't start about the AAU. Is Nebraska in the AAU. The B1G knew that Nebraska was going to loose AAU status and they still took them. Like my source says UConn completes NYC and helps with Boston I trust him and his sources. UConn brings so much tv value because well there UConn and any school that has won multiple national championships in both mens and womens basketball would help with ratings on the BTN. Just watch the UConn and State game in the garden and tell me UConn don't have a following in NYC. UConn is doing what its supposed to do AAU membership takes years to achieve so
No school will ever deliver NYC. It's not a college sports town. It never was and never will be. Adding more schools on the hopes of delivering NYC is an exercise in diminishing returns. Having Rutgers is probably good enough in this respect. From a TV perspective, Connecticut except for Fairfield County is not even in the NYC DMA. Even counting Fairfield County TVs does not buy the B1G very much. Regarding the AAU membership, as I said before, it's not really a whole lot different than conference realignment in that you have to be invited and voted in by the same schools that presently don't want to vote us in to their athletic conferences. There are only about 60 schools in the AAU. It's an exclusive club whose door does not open very often for a reason.

Reaction Score
Even counting Fairfield County TVs does not buy the B1G very much.

1.3 million TVs in Conn.

How much do you think those TVs would pay per month for UConn's BTN rights?
What would the advertising be like for this demographic?

And, what is the rating for UConn bball in NYC?

The recent ND-UConn women's game pulled a .6 rating, which is as much as a good men's game on ESPN. In April, the women's championship pulled a 4.8 rating in NYC.

On SNY, the women have 8 ratings for tier 3 games.

Reaction Score
The major population of Kansas City is in Missouri. Kansas City Kansas is much smaller.
What is the Kansas appeal in that Missouri City.
Other than hate.
Kansas is a like minded B1G school that has national appeal. Who would not want A UCONN VS KANSAS championship game in the united center or at MSG . I don't see the ACC falling apart but I think the big 12 will be done in ten years. You are right Kansas City is small but that did not stop the b1g from adding Nebraska. If the ACC fell apart I think the B1g would be after Virginia and N. Carolina but that don't look like it's going to happen .

Reaction Score
No school will ever deliver NYC. It's not a college sports town. It never was and never will be. Adding more schools on the hopes of delivering NYC is an exercise in diminishing returns. Having Rutgers is probably good enough in this respect. From a TV perspective, Connecticut except for Fairfield County is not even in the NYC DMA. Even counting Fairfield County TVs does not buy the B1G very much. Regarding the AAU membership, as I said before, it's not really a whole lot different than conference realignment in that you have to be invited and voted in by the same schools that presently don't want to vote us in to their athletic conferences. There are only about 60 schools in the AAU. It's an exclusive club whose door does not open very often for a reason.
You are right NYC is like Chicago a pro sports town but when local schools are really good The big cities take notice and watch at least Chicago does and I can't see NYC being that much different.Rutgers does not carry NYC it helps but you need a school with a proven track record at winning championships and UConn has that. Notre Dame would be in the b1g if they could of come to a agreement. Nebraska is not AAU and they are still here.

pj

Reaction Score
If you want NYC, you can't do better than UConn and Rutgers. The two strongest nearby athletic programs, plus all the metro NYC alums from Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland, Michigan, etc., make a powerful group of fans. Having two schools in the area means most of those schools will visit the metro area once a year.

All of New England is up for grabs in terms of college football fandom. The ACC just doesn't have fans, nor does BC.

It would be a big win for the B1G.

Reaction Score
The major population of Kansas City is in Missouri. Kansas City Kansas is much smaller. What is the Kansas appeal in that Missouri City. Other than hate.
Are you stating this based on non-cited facts? Personal experience? Perceptions from afar? From experience working with clients on both sides of the dotted Kansas City, city lines and even in St Louis, KU has much stronger support than some may perceive just over the border and in surrounding suburbs and a lot of alumni in the latter city, Chicago, Dallas, etc. That may be just in some well established companies, but it's not merely here-say. Similarly, Mizzou likely has a fairly good following in KC, KS, Chicago, Dallas, Indy, even alumni in Topeka and Witchita.

Reaction Score
Are you stating this based on non-cited facts? Personal experience? Perceptions from afar? From experience working with clients on both sides of the dotted Kansas City, city lines and even in St Louis, KU has much stronger support than some may perceive just over the border and in surrounding suburbs and a lot of alumni in the latter city, Chicago, Dallas, etc. That may be just in some well established companies, but it's not merely here-say. Similarly, Mizzou likely has a fairly good following in KC, KS, Chicago, Dallas, Indy, even alumni in Topeka and Witchita.
Sorry about the missed Question Mark in my last sentence.
I've heard so much about the Kansas vs Missouri hatred going back to the 1850's and Torrington's own John Brown. I also saw the Outlaw Josie Wales 15 or 20 times. I even watched it once with a calculator to get an accurate body count.("Easy man to tract he leaves dead men where ever he goes")So that qualifies me as an expert on the situation.
It seemed ironic that KU would have a large following other than alum in a major MO city.

Reaction Score
You are right NYC is like Chicago a pro sports town but when local schools are really good The big cities take notice and watch at least Chicago does and I can't see NYC being that much different.Rutgers does not carry NYC it helps but you need a school with a proven track record at winning championships and UConn has that. Notre Dame would be in the b1g if they could of come to a agreement. Nebraska is not AAU and they are still here.
Big time College football turned its back on NYC not the the Other way around.
When Army was good the ND game was huge in the city.
Vince Lombardi and the seven blocks of granite are NYC legend.
The Hiesman trophy is awarded by the New York touchdown club.
The ember is still there is just needs some oxygen to become a flame.
Delaney understands it's there for the a taking.
The ACC has Cuse 4-5 hours from the Big Apple. Boston is its own world, separated even from Western Mass.
I grew up in Ct one hour from the city. The whole state of Connecticut is UConn Country.
New York City,Westchester County ,Nothern NJ,andWestern CT have been called the Tri-State area for years. It's population is huge.

Reaction Score
Sorry about the missed Question Mark in my last sentence.
I've heard so much about the Kansas vs Missouri hatred going back to the 1850's and Torrington's own John Brown. I also saw the Outlaw Josie Wales 15 or 20 times. I even watched it once with a calculator to get an accurate body count.("Easy man to tract he leaves dead men where ever he goes")So that qualifies me as an expert on the situation.
It seemed ironic that KU would have a large following other than alum in a major MO city.

The city is divided by a river, and people born in one state can easily move across and work at their same jobs.

This happens in cities like Cincy, Philly, St. Louis, Memphis, Louisville, Portland, heck even NYC. I know lots of Philly friends bought homes in Cherry Hill when they were starting out. NYC people in apartments in Hoboken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom