Another Academic Win: Select Designation for Healthcare Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Asked Dez about AAU status, his response:

@desmondconner: @dave_donohue don't know but for B10 it's all about leading research universities and federal rcvd for it not how football team did/does

Reaction Score
DSquiz said:
Asked Dez about AAU status, his response:

@desmondconner: @dave_donohue don't know but for B10 it's all about leading research universities and federal rcvd for it not how football team did/does

Is it me or is that way more information/knowledge than most expect from Des?

Reaction Score

Great news; but, this may take a while. Afteral, how does one explain Brandeis University's conclusion inclusion in the AAU? I know Albert Einstein helped to create it; but, it almost went bankrupt a few years back, it is the second smallest AAU member (CalTech is the smallest, no argument they deserve to be in the AAU), and it doe snot have programs in the typical research areas - engineering, hard science, medical (used to have vet; but, I think that program was transferred to Tufts).

pj

Reaction Score
Great news; but, this may take a while. Afteral, how does one explain Brandeis University's conclusion inclusion in the AAU? I know Albert Einstein helped to create it; but, it almost went bankrupt a few years back, it is the second smallest AAU member (CalTech is the smallest, no argument they deserve to be in the AAU), and it doe snot have programs in the typical research areas - engineering, hard science, medical (used to have vet; but, I think that program was transferred to Tufts).

They have a high level of federal research funding per faculty member. That is one of the AAU metrics.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Not sure about engineering/physics but they have a good reputation for biology research.

Reaction Score
"We join an elite group of only 11 universities across North America including John’s Hopkins, Vanderbilt, and Brown who have these premier evidence synthesis groups."

pj

Reaction Score
Brandeis gets 80% of the federal research funding of UConn-Storrs with about 3/8 as many faculty. About 2.2x as much funding per professor. If UConn could equal Brandeis's per-faculty funding level, it would be in the AAU.

Reaction Score
Brandeis gets 80% of the federal research funding of UConn-Storrs with about 3/8 as many faculty. About 2.2x as much funding per professor. If UConn could equal Brandeis's per-faculty funding level, it would be in the AAU.

Who's up for firing some faculty?!?

Reaction Score
Cough:Cough: UConn Pharmacy :Cough

That guy was one of my professors. Always thought he was the sidler for Seinfeld.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
This is a huge win......
  • Brown University.
  • Duke University.
  • ECRI Institute—Penn Medicine.
  • Johns Hopkins University.
  • Kaiser Permanente Research Affiliates.
  • Mayo Clinic.
  • Minnesota Evidence-based Practice Center.
  • Pacific Northwest Evidence-based Practice Center—Oregon Health and Science University.
  • RTI International—University of North Carolina.
  • Southern California.
  • University of Alberta.
  • University of Connecticut.
  • Vanderbilt University.

Reaction Score

Wow, what the heck is it spent on though without a engineering program, research hospital or even agricultural program? Each of which UConn and most other 'major' research universities have. Looking quickly at the AAU membership list, only a small number of AAU members do not have a school of medicine and of those, nearly all are engineering schools like CalTech, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, etc. The three exceptions appear to be UC - Santa Barbara, Iowa St and Princeton. Even the two Canadian AAU members, Toronto and McGill, have research hospitals.

Reaction Score

I suspect that politics also plays a big role.

Reaction Score
This is a huge win.
  • Brown University.
  • Duke University.
  • ECRI Institute—Penn Medicine.
  • Johns Hopkins University.
  • Kaiser Permanente Research Affiliates.
  • Mayo Clinic.
  • Minnesota Evidence-based Practice Center.
  • Pacific Northwest Evidence-based Practice Center—Oregon Health and Science University.
  • RTI International—University of North Carolina.
  • Southern California.
  • University of Alberta.
  • University of Connecticut.
  • Vanderbilt University.
I wonder if ESPN would go for this...the Big Evidence-based Conference.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wonder if ESPN would go for this...the Big Evidence-based Conference.

It has USC, Vanderbilt and Duke in it. Already, the Big Evidence-based Conference is light years better than the AAC.

Reaction Score
Heh. If UConn really wants to be AAU, that would be the way to get there quickly.

The big land grant schools probably will start using their breadth to press their advantage in the future. I already hear about this when it comes to the AAU, that schools that have strength across the disciplines are much better regard. So, all things being equal, UConn would have a better chance than say Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
The big land grant schools probably will start using their breadth to press their advantage in the future. I already hear about this when it comes to the AAU, that schools that have strength across the disciplines are much better regard. So, all things being equal, UConn would have a better chance than say Virginia Tech.

V Tech is aware of that it appears, their first medical school class graduated in 2014. The school is based out of nearby Roanoke VA and focuses on community healthcare (UNC, U Washington, Quinnipiac, etc. do the same).

Reaction Score
V Tech is aware of that it appears, their first medical school class graduated in 2014. The school is based out of nearby Roanoke VA and focuses on community healthcare (UNC, U Washington, Quinnipiac, etc. do the same).

VT is excellent when it comes to research. But in the last two decades they went well out of their way to recruit faculty in the arts & sciences to makeup a huge deficit. In the last 5 years, they've backtracked. This is why that research $ to % of faculty measure is a bit faulty. It works at Tufts and Rochester and several other schools with strength across the disciplines, but some are too specialized and are not given much credit. RIT is tiny, for instance, and makes about $50m in research, but is a wasteland in the arts & sciences. But has a great # for research $ to faculty #s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom