Annual True/False & why thread | The Boneyard

Annual True/False & why thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The seasons getting close. Here's a few topics on my mind. Answer True/False & why. Interested to hear some opinions.

1. Jalen Adams averages more points per game than Kemba did his Freshman year? (KW ave 8.9 & played 25.2 min a gm)

2. Daniel Hamilton has 3 or more 30 point games this year?

3. Shonn Miller maintains his Top 10 status for best defensive rebounders in the country?

4. Phil Nolan logs more minutes playing this year than both Facey and/or Enoch?

5. Rodney Purvis averages more points per game than Sterling Gibbs?

6. Amida Brimah eclipses Hasheem's junior year block party w/ 152 swats for the year?
Note- HT was Co Big East Player of the Year, as a Junior.
He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.

7. UConn leads the conference in points scored a game?

8. UConn will get a 4 seed or better on Selecton Sunday?

9. Sam Cassell makes more 3 pointers this year than Omar Calhoun?

10. The 2nd leading rebounder on the team is Daniel Hamilton based on his average per game.

11. Gibbs will be top 25 in the country with Assits ave per game?

12. Ollie wins coach of the year in the AAC?

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
1. Jalen Adams averages more points per game than Kemba did his Freshman year? (KW ave 8.9 & played 25.2 min a gm)
True - Adams is instant offense/change of pace for either guard spot

False - Hamilton will improve, but too many options on the team for him to have a huge night three separate times

3. Shonn Miller maintains his Top 10 status for best defensive rebounders in the country?
True - Brimah will go for blocks, leaving DHam and Miller to clean the glass

True, barely - DHam/Facey will swap for Miller, and Nolan will swap for Brimah. Bigger need for backup 5 means more burn for PN.

True - Rodney is one of our top options. Gibbs distributes first, scores second.

6. Amida Brimah eclipses Hasheem's junior year block party w/ 152 swats for the year?
He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
True - AB had 121 blocks last year while not playing as much as he will this season. More minutes = more blocks

False - some other team will score more. Cinci?

False - this team will be really good, but probably get under seeded. More likely 5/6

False - OC sees time behind DHam and I think he has a good senior season. Finds his confidence and his stroke in more minutes than SC2

10. The 2nd leading rebounder on the team is Daniel Hamilton based on his average per game.
True - Miller #1, then DHam, then Brimah.

False - he'll be up there, but DHam will get a lot of assists too. Creating coming from different places means less assists for Gibbs

False - COTY seems to always go to a team that greatly exceeds expectations. UConn would have to go undefeated in conference, don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
1.) True
2.) True
3.) False (will play a lot with Dham so they will take def rebounds from each other)
4.) True (will play more than either, but not more than both combined)
5.) True
6.) False
7.) False
8.) True
9.) False
10.) True
11.) False
12.) False

Reaction Score
The seasons getting close. Here's a few topics on my mind. Answer True/False & why. Interested to hear some opinions.

1. Jalen Adams averages more points per game than Kemba did his Freshman year? (KW ave 8.9 & played 25.2 min a gm) FALSE only because of the many answers they already have

2. Daniel Hamilton has 3 or more 30 point games this year? False - only because of the many answers they already have

3. Shonn Miller maintains his Top 10 status for best defensive rebounders in the country? True - he will be a double figure rebounder

4. Phil Nolan logs more minutes playing this year than both Facey and/or Enoch? Close - all dependent upon their ability to earn minutes

5. Rodney Purvis averages more points per game than Sterling Gibbs? False - will be close for 4-5 guys who will average between 9-14 points a game, and all capable of 20 plus

6. Amida Brimah eclipses Hasheem's junior year block party w/ 152 swats for the year? False
He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.

7. UConn leads the conference in points scored a game? True

8. UConn will get a 4 seed or better on Selecton Sunday? True

9. Sam Cassell makes more 3 pointers this year than Omar Calhoun? True, think he gets more minutes

10. The 2nd leading rebounder on the team is Daniel Hamilton based on his average per game. True, will rebound again for sure just a habit

11. Gibbs will be top 25 in the country with Assits ave per game? False, lots of guys who can pass the ball too may to go around

True - because he is

Reaction Score
This is one of those I need to sleep on it threads. Too many "if" scenarios.... See you tomorrow.

Reaction Score
True - But it will be close. I don't believe he averages more than 10. Too many points to be had already on the court.

False - I believe DHam will facilitate more. Should be close to a 15 a year.Might have 1 game above 30.

False - Better comp, bigger bodies, less minutes.

True - Will play more than Enoch for sure. Facey might surpass him by year end but it's Nolan's minutes to lose.

Im going to say False. Depends on Sterling's role with the team (utilizing Pick & Rolls, shoot first pass second?, creativity), he might be the team's top scorer. He was in the BE last year and put up 16.3 a game. Purvis will succeed in transition and kick outs. He doesn't posses the stand still play making ability to make him an ultimate scorer.

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
True - Amida can definitely surpass Hasheem's record. He might do it with a couple games to spare as well. However, Miller can take some of these away from AB. As to you side note, AB is not coming close to that rpg number.

True - If we can play quickly because our defense and depth are strengths, then yes. If we play slow ball like we have in the past then no.

True - Top 2 potential, could slide as low as a 6-7.

False - I believe Calhoun might make more 3s than Cassell gets minutes. Have not been impressed with Cassell at all since his arrival and play against exhibition opponents. I hope it was all due to his injury but he seems too slow for this level of gameplay.

True - Miller then Hamilton. Side note: AB's rpg can definitely go up this year. Having multiple big men in the game creates more rebounds. The chance of an opponent getting inside is less likely and boxouts aren't quite as difficult because big men take up space. AB could contend with DH in boards at around 6.5-7 a game.

False - Once again, depends on his role. I'm going to say no just because our guard depth is so good that he won't have the opportunity to create as much as he would like.

False - I would love KO to win and he very well might...But I believe the gurus of the media world will give this to a returning Mick Cronin. If their team is a top 3-4 finish, I'd say Cronin gets it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

False

False

False

False

True

Purvis had 336 FGA last year (.429%). Gibbs had 350 FGA (.431%). I think Gibbs will be around 5.3 assts & 13.2 pts per.

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.

False

False...7th last year. Good chance for 2nd.

True

False

False

5.5 asst per game came in 25th last year. This could be a real close call. Just misses. False (The Adams factor)

True (but as mentioned above Cronin could win it). I am high on the BearCats.

Reaction Score
Yes 9.5

Not quite. 2 30 point plus games and a couple in the high 20's

Yes. Over 8 rebounds a game

I hope not

It will be close but no

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
No. HT is probably the most underrated guy in UConn history. Dude was a beast and lead us to a FF

Yes, our conference sucks but will still be better than the Big Least

Yes, fingers crossed we take care of non conference. The opportunities are there.

I don't think either will be big factors but I hope so especially Omar for staying 4 years

Dham will be 2nd best rebounder behind Miller time. He was the best rebounder in the AAC last year and I don't expect him to fall off too much. Depends how KO uses him.

No, but he'll average over 15 points per game

Absolutely, without question

Reaction Score
1. Jalen Adams averages more points per game than Kemba did his Freshman year? (KW ave 8.9 & played 25.2 min a gm) - FALSE. Think he averages about same as Kemba.

2. Daniel Hamilton has 3 or more 30 point games this year? FALSE - Think team is too balanced to have a 30 point scorer this year.

3. Shonn Miller maintains his Top 10 status for best defensive rebounders in the country? TRUE - Dude knows how to rebound- don't think his status had anything to do with playing in Ivy League.

4. Phil Nolan logs more minutes playing this year than both Facey and/or Enoch? FALSE - More than Enoch. Less than Facey.

5. Rodney Purvis averages more points per game than Sterling Gibbs? - TRUE. But not by much.

6. Amida Brimah eclipses Hasheem's junior year block party w/ 152 swats for the year? - FALSE. But think he'll get close.

7. UConn leads the conference in points scored a game? - TRUE ( what were the rankings for this last year?)

8. UConn will get a 4 seed or better on Selecton Sunday? - TRUE.

9. Sam Cassell makes more 3 pointers this year than Omar Calhoun? - FALSE. Think Omar will have a solid role for is this year. Omar finally comin'.

10. The 2nd leading rebounder on the team is Daniel Hamilton based on his average per game. - TRUE. He is already the second best rebounder on the team. Don't see anybody besides Miller surpassing him.

11. Gibbs will be top 25 in the country with Assits ave per game? - FALSE.

12. Ollie wins coach of the year in the AAC? - FALSE

Reaction Score
Love this topic.

True, but close. Adams and '09 Kemba are a good comparison.

False. It's hard scoring 30 points in a game once, nevermind 3 times.

True. He (and DHam) will get the lion's share of the rebounds, with little internal competition from Purvis or Brimah. That will be good enough for Top 10 nationally, with probably 9-10 rpg.

True. Nolan, despite his limitations, is somewhat of a security blanket at the 5. He knows offensive and defensive positioning and is a good screener. Facey hasn't shown any such understanding and Enoch as a raw and young freshman won't play much at all.

False. We've become an offense reliant on a scoring point guard, and that will continue to be the case. Gibbs, Hamilton, and Purvis will be the main options, but I see Gibbs with 15 ppg, Hamilton 14 ppg, Purvis 13 ppg.

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
False. He "only" had 121 blocks last year, and so would need to increase the product of his games played, mpg, and blocks/minute by 25%. I don't see him getting there. Overall, Brimah should be better, but will be nowhere near Thabeet's junior season (not that there's any shame in that).

False. Offense was painful to watch last year, both in pace and efficiency. The new faces should help, but our offense is a far cry from the excitement of the 90's or even the 00's.

False. Regular season performance has not been strong lately, and in our conference, we'd need to be something like 29-4 to get a seed that high. (26-8 got us a 7 seed in a year when Louisville was still in the conference.)

False. I think Omar gets more minutes at the 3 than Cassell gets at the 1/2. Neither will play much, but Cassell will have several DNPs.

True. This is the second easier one to answer (besides leading the conference in points). Miller is first, Hamilton second.

False. He'll be more of a scoring point guard.

False. We would have to win the conference convincingly, and I don't see that happening.

By the way, has anyone ever looked at last year's version of this thread?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

1. Jalen Adams averages more points per game than Kemba did his Freshman year? (KW ave 8.9 & played 25.2 min a gm) True

2. Daniel Hamilton has 3 or more 30 point games this year? False

3. Shonn Miller maintains his Top 10 status for best defensive rebounders in the country? True

4. Phil Nolan logs more minutes playing this year than both Facey and/or Enoch? True

5. Rodney Purvis averages more points per game than Sterling Gibbs? False

6. Amida Brimah eclipses Hasheem's junior year block party w/ 152 swats for the year? False
He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.

7. UConn leads the conference in points scored a game? False

8. UConn will get a 4 seed or better on Selecton Sunday? False

9. Sam Cassell makes more 3 pointers this year than Omar Calhoun? False

10. The 2nd leading rebounder on the team is Daniel Hamilton based on his average per game. True

11. Gibbs will be top 25 in the country with Assits ave per game? False

False

Nice job by GemPartyz!

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
For anyone interested here's the results to last years thread...

1. Facey averages more rebounds per minute played than RLubin?
TRUE
KF: 162 rebs/665 mins = 0.24
RL: 28 rebs/155 mins = 0.18

2. Omar will shot over 33% from 3 for the year?
TRUE - Omar shot 34.2% (26-76)
3. Daniel Hamilton will average more points per game than Purvis?
FALSE - Purvis 11.6 ppg, DHam 10.9 ppg
4. Terrance Samuel will play more minutes this year than SamCjr ?
TRUE - TS 715 min, SC2 271 min
(sidenote, Cassell was injured)

5. UConn will shoot better than 40% from 3?
FALSE - shot 35.5% (226-637) from 3
6. Ollie will get ejected from a game this year?
FALSE (to my knowledge...)
7. Boatright will record the most points by a player in a single game this year?
FALSE - Brimah scored 40 12/14/14 vs Coppin State
8. Amida will average more rebounds a game than Phil Nolan?
TRUE - AB: 4.4 reb/g PN: 1.9 reb/g
9. First regular AAC game of the year, Hamilton is a starter?
TRUE - vs Temple 12/31/14, Hamilton started
10. Amida will have the largest jump in points per game ave, vs last year?
FALSE - Brimah: 4.1 ppg ~ 9.1 ppg = 5.0 ppg change
Boatright: 12.1 ppg ~ 17.4 ppg = 5.3 ppg change

Just scrolling through the responses, there were a lot of close responses but no perfect ones. @CL82 was the closest, getting every question except #10 correct. Everyone else had at least two wrong.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
True. He establishes himself as 6th man and gives us 11 ppg off the bench.

False. But consistently puts up 20-point games and averages around 15.

True. I think he's going to be that impactful.

False. No way. Face will be a real contributor. He and Enoch will fight for minutes.

False. I think they are both going to be around 12 ppg, but I think Gibbs scores a little bit more.

True. He becomes the best shot blocker in the country.

False. 2nd behind SMU.

True. I think we'll end up with a 4-seed but we'll complain that we should have been a 2-seed and were shafted because of our conference affiliation.

False. Omar-comin'.

False. He will be 3rd behind Facey and Miller.

True. Why not.

True. We win the conference regular season and tournament which sets us up for a deep run in the big dance.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

True

True

True

True

Tough one. I'll guess true

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
False

false

True

False

true

False

True

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
False- This team feels deeper than 2009 Final Four year. I think this team has too many options for a freshman off the bench to AVERAGE over 9 points a game.

False- Again, too deep for that to happen 3 times.

False-Harder schedule/conference, not the focal point for a team anymore.

True- Ollie gives nod to Phil over Enoch for sure, but it all depends on Facey's development on consistency, rebounding and defense.

True- Purvis is the "X" factor, and Gibbs will likely be more of a distributor.

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
True- After a year of true development in offseason, Brimah comes back an even more venomous defensive force.

False- Yes, we are greatly improved from last season, but have a lot to prove. The offense was anemic last year, and it's been a while since we led our conference in PPG. Not our MO.

False- Bound to lose a couple games in non-conference+lack of respect for AAC means 5 seed at best.

False- Calhoun has more D1 experience, and is the better overall player, which means he will likely receive more playing time.

True- Really hard to tell, but I'm atleast hoping Ollie will favor small ball this season. So if Miller is getting lots of time at the 5, I would expect him to be the leading rebounder as an established vet. Hamilton could very well be 2, but does Brimah's improved strength equate to more rebounds?

True- Sure. Why not. Gibbs will sacrifice his 15+ppg to go for a 'ship. As a vet, he will look to get teammates involved.

True- He should, solely based on the fact that this UConn team SHOULD be the best in the AAC. (Operative word-should).

Reaction Score

False. There are only so many shots to go around.

False. That's asking a lot. Even Shabazz only had two his senior year.

True. He's a gifted rebounder.

False. He plays more than Enoch but not Facey.

False. Gibbs fills it up too easily

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.

False. We may never see another player like Hash.

True. They're just more talented than the other teams.

True. My money would be on a 1 or a 2.

True. I just haven't seen enough from Omar.

True, unless Brimah makes a big leap.

False. Too many other playmakers.

False, they'll want to go with the feel good story in Cronin.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
False: Fewer minutes, more options. He will though, have a 25+ game at some point.

False: See above, re options.

True: Playing most of his minutes beside a shot block minded center will boost his board numbers.

What exactly are you asking? The and/or you included clouds the question. Is it 'both Facey and Enoch' or 'either Facey or Enoch?' Either way, I say False. Enoch will surprise, and Facey will return to his rebounding form of the first half of last year. Phil will stll be Phil.

True. Because I said so.

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
True. With another quality defender inside, he will gamble less, and consequently foul less and play more minutes.

False, then True. SMU will actually lead until their season is vacated by the NCAA, at which time the scoring title will fall to us.

True. Why? It's a damned guess, like every one of these answers.

False. He may ATTEMPT more, but Omar Comin'.

True. He's shown rebonding ability and wll likely lead the team in minutes. But fewer minutes at the 4 will temper the number a bit.

False. By mid season, the point minutes between he and JA will be much mre evenly split than most envision.

False, but he does win National coach of the year after taking a non-tourney team to the NCAA title. Again.

Reaction Score
False (should be close and hope I'm wrong)
False
False - Dham takes some of Miller's rebounds.
False
False - Gibbs averaged almost 5 ppg more last year. That's a big jump for Purvis to make. With that said I'm bullish on Rodney having a very good year.
He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
False, but comes close
False. our pace of play is generally slow
True - expecting big things this year
False
True - after Miller
False - He's more of a scorer than pg
True - we dominate the AAC this year.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

False, second half of the year but gets off to a modestly slower start.

False, too many weapons, to unselfish a player.

True, by %

True. Facey will be the. Enter player but with less opportunity behind Miller and Hamilton.

False, Gibbs by a hair, will out score him plenty of times though.

Don't think so, this ain't your daddy's Big East Refs.

False, we've played at too slow a pace under Ollie and while I think we have the personnel this year to run, I have to see it first.

4 on the nose.

False, don't expect much out of either.

True, I don't think his role will be the same but he's too athletic not to be around the ball so he hedges out a slight improvement by Brimah.

Too lazy to look up the cutoff for top 25. I think he's right around 5 per game again.

If Cinci performs as expected it will go to mick for the bounce back story.

Reaction Score
1. Jalen Adams averages more points per game than Kemba did his Freshman year? (KW ave 8.9 & played 25.2 min a gm) False, I think he will have a good year but not average 9 a game.

2. Daniel Hamilton has 3 or more 30 point games this year? False, I would say he is due for a bunch of 20 point games though.

3. Shonn Miller maintains his Top 10 status for best defensive rebounders in the country? True, with Brimah blocking shots the positioning and rebounding will fall to Miller.

4. Phil Nolan logs more minutes playing this year than both Facey and/or Enoch? True, I think he will spell Brimah and still get minutes at power forward.

5. Rodney Purvis averages more points per game than Sterling Gibbs? True, I think Rodney has a huge offensive year for us.

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8. False, that is a lot of blocks. 130 or so wouldn't surprise me.

7. UConn leads the conference in points scored a game? False. Our style won't lend itself to that.

8. UConn will get a 4 seed or better on Selecton Sunday? False, I'm thinking 5 or 6.

9. Sam Cassell makes more 3 pointers this year than Omar Calhoun? False, Omar has a strong senior season.

10. The 2nd leading rebounder on the team is Daniel Hamilton based on his average per game. True, behind Miller.

11. Gibbs will be top 25 in the country with Assits ave per game? True.

12. Ollie wins coach of the year in the AAC? False, I agree with the Cronin point. Especially if they have a good year.

Reaction Score
True, but low double digits. I will say at about 10.5, with larger scoring games coming in the second half of the season when he is firmly the sixth man and getting 25 plus minutes/gm.

False. That is asking for a lot, especially with our team. Not sure he gets one 30 point game, but should have a bunch in the 20s. Think he averages about 14 on the season.

True. He should if the minutes are there - should be a lot of weak side boards to have alongside Brimah.

True. He's still the backup center and there are more sf/pf options this year. I hope Facey gets enough PT though.

Good question - I will say yes, but barely. I will call it 15 for RP; 13 for SG.

He averaged 13.6 & 10.8.
False. People may laugh at Hasheem now, but he was a damn force that season. Brimah's blocks should go up, but he's not having a Hasheem season on offense or defense.

False. SMU probably will, but our scoring should definitely go up. We have to run more this year and have the horses to get up and down - especially when Adams is in the game in a smaller lineup. Think about Gibbs, Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, and Miller as a high octane lineup. Wow.

True. I'm thinking we finish with a 3 or 4 seed, banking on some big early season wins in Bahamas, and hopefully against Maryland. I think we finally put together a solid 12-4 type conference record.

False. Not sure SCII gets enough meaningful minutes this year. Then again, I'm not sure Omar does either. Hopefully one of them emerges as a reliable guard off the bench. Omar at least hs the experience.

True. I think Miller leads the team in rebounding. Amida should finish second, but D Ham is a pretty elite rebounder for his position. I'll say true.

False. Gibbs should finish top 5-7 in conference for assists, but he will be sharing time with a bunch of other guards and his numbers may not be too flashy. That being said, I think he finishes around 13-4.5.

True. The conference winner will get coach of the year honors - time for KO to best his (NBA) mentor, Larry Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom