And the Celtics go kaboom... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

And the Celtics go kaboom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't really like this trade for Boston - I understand the concept of trading Garnett and Pierce so you can tank for an Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, or Julius Randle type player, but Garnett and Pierce are still extremely good players who could take a team from "fringe contender" to "contender" (which might be the toughest step to make in the NBA). Memphis, OKC, LAC, NY, Indiana, and Chicago are all teams looking to add that final ingredient to an already impressive core, and all those teams have valuable commodities they may have been willing to part with to increase their title odds. Here is a list of moveable assets on the teams AI just mentioned:

Chicago - Jimmy Butler, Marquis Teague, Taj Gibson
Memphis - Ed Davis
OKC - Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones III
LAC - Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan
NYK - Iman Shumpert
Indiana - Lance Stephenson

The problem with the draft picks Boston received in return is they don't figure to be lottery picks. With Paul and Griffin in the fold likely for the long haul in LA, it seems highly unlikely any of the picks they shipped to Boston will dip below 20 or so. Brooklyn, meanwhile, just recently signed Deron Williams to a long term deal and Brook Lopez is still only 25. So now Boston's in a situation where they're hoping the mid-first round picks they are receiving in return for two borderline all-stars turn into decent rotation players, when all the players I listed above are already that or at least appear to be headed that way.

I'm no expert on the salary cap so maybe the cap flexibility of the teams mentioned above restricted Boston's options, but the point is, I feel like there were better trading partners who could offer more immediate help than what Brooklyn was offering. And that doesn't even include teams like Houston and Dallas - both of whom could have positioned themselves as "fringe contenders" following the free agency period - in my projections. What if Houston signs Dwight Howard and suddenly the Rockets are interested in flipping you Chandler Parsons for Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett? I think Boston would have been better served to at least wait things out and see if they could field a better offer than what they accepted from Brooklyn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You assume that KG would have waived his no-trade clause to go anywhere. And that Ainge didn't kick the tires on that. Once you can identify a solid lead that Ainge should have but didn't chase down, then I'll listen to complaints about how Ainge should have gotten more. Houston and Dallas are both trying to save cap space to sign Howard, by the way. No room for these guys. Parsons is making like a million a year. Also, Ainge had to move quickly because he had only a short window to trigger Pierce's contract.

Also, while there's no guarantee on the 2018 draft, I would tend to think the Nets won't be very good. They're probably going to have to blow up that roster at some point, giving away good assets to rid themselves of bad ones. That could happen by 2016 or 2017 (when the C's can swap picks with NJ) as well. Potentially, the Celts could get 2 or 3 high lottery picks out of this.

Reaction Score
It's a surprsingly great trade. Actually gives the C's the chance at a future.

Ainge probably made the wise decision for the franchise, but it's yet to be seen if it was in his best interest. It's certainly better to blow it all up, get some high picks the next couple years, and stockpile draft picks than to be consistently mediocre while trying to reload instead of rebuild. That being said, patience is hard to come by, especially for a team like the Celtics, and I could easily see Ainge being forced out once the fans and media start complaining.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ainge probably made the wise decision for the franchise, but it's yet to be seen if it was in his best interest. It's certainly better to blow it all up, get some high picks the next couple years, and stockpile draft picks than to be consistently mediocre while trying to reload instead of rebuild. That being said, patience is hard to come by, especially for a team like the Celtics, and I could easily see Ainge being forced out once the fans and media start complaining.

No way. He's done it once already. That's been proven. Where is another GM that can say the same (who's available)?

Reaction Score
No way. He's done it once already. That's been proven. Where is another GM that can say the same (who's available)?

I think saying no way is a little overconfident. Could he make it through? Absolutely (and I think he probably will). That doesn't change the fact that even when it's the prudent thing to do, people always seem to lose patience in these situations. There is always the chance that they don't start winning fast enough.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember when Rondo had that fight or whatever with Humphries and Wallace? I mean, maybe it doesn't matter but I don't think they plan on keeping Rondo.

Also- Olynyk? WTF???

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think saying no way is a little overconfident. Could he make it through? Absolutely (and I think he probably will). That doesn't change the fact that even when it's the prudent thing to do, people always seem to lose patience in these situations. There is always the chance that they don't start winning fast enough.

True enough, but fans, especially core Celtics fans, I think understand that this could take 5+ years to bear fruit. I mean, this is a complete dismantling.

Reaction Score
True enough, but fans, especially core Celtics fans, I think understand that this could take 5+ years to bear fruit. I mean, this is a complete dismantling.

True enough, but core fans are rarely the ones talking the loudest. Normally those people are the morons.

Reaction Score
Had to happen. As a C's fan it's time.......give Danny 3-4 years they'll be contending again and the Heat will be getting older.....timing is everything.

Not sure why everyone seems down on Olynyk......I think he's going to be a nice player!!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Rondos tradeable, MR. Kardasian is in his last year, and Wallace will get dumped after 2 years. Next year they take a dive. Possibly the year after as they move all the journeymen sideways and build from there with Rondo, Bass, Lee, Green, Sullinger, and Olynko. The Xavier kid will fit nicely with Bradley. That's the team. 8 likely keepers in 3 years plus 2014/15 Rookies and Vet exceptions. Under the cap and land the best FA available after two years

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Had to happen. As a C's fan it's time.......give Danny 3-4 years they'll be contending again and the Heat will be getting older.....timing is everything.

Not sure why everyone seems down on Olynyk......I think he's going to be a nice player!!

As long as we don't get Duncan'ed again!

I'd like to see Olynyk develop a little on the defensive end, before I get too excited about his prospects.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Rondos tradeable, MR. Kardasian is in his last year, and Wallace will get dumped after 2 years. Next year they take a dive. Possibly the year after as they move all the journeymen sideways and build from there with Rondo, Bass, Lee, Green, Sullinger, and Olynko. The Xavier kid will fit nicely with Bradley. That's the team. 8 likely keepers in 3 years plus 2014/15 Rookies and Vet exceptions. Under the cap and land the best FA available after two years

Honestly, that's a nice core if you keep it together. Will lose a lot of games without some true front court stars, but if they can get good position in the draft, the Celts could become a significant, and importantly, young contender.

If things go right in the Draft, this could be Danny's finest work. Time will tell.

I have to say, I love Danny's willingness to buck convention and take risks. That is not something you see in many NBA GMs, who are mostly looking not to get fired. It's really fun to see him operate.

Reaction Score
Not a great move for the Celtics but the only move, as for the Nets it looks great on paper but how well will they defend remember the moves the Lakers made last year expecting Dwight Howard to solve all their defensive flaws, will they be expecting a 37 year old KG to solve their defensive flaws?

Doc has approached Phil Jackson status not in rings but in terms of leaving a franchise when its time to get out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not a great move for the Celtics but the only move, as for the Nets it looks great on paper but how well will they defend remember the moves the Lakers made last year expecting Dwight Howard to solve all their defensive flaws, will they be expecting a 37 year old KG to solve their defensive flaws?

How so? What were they going to do with KG and Pierce for the next couple of years. Might as well get rid of them while there's a buyer, and load up on draft picks. I don't see how this is bad.

Reaction Score
How so? What were they going to do with KG and Pierce for the next couple of years. Might as well get rid of them while there's a buyer, and load up on draft picks. I don't see how this is bad.

Did I say its bad? I just said its the only move, it was a no brainer. A great move would not be getting back Gerald Wallace and his contract do you think the Celtics wanted to get him in the trade, probably not but they didnt have a choice in order to matchup salary, it was the only move.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Did I say its bad? I just said its the only move, it was a no brainer. A great move would not be getting back Gerald Wallace and his contract do you think the Celtics wanted to get him in the trade, probably not but they didnt have a choice in order to matchup salary, it was the only move.

Probably just the internet but, on first read, it sounded like you were negative on the deal.

Reaction Score

I can't help but see a long haired big man from Gonzaga and not think Adam Morrison which I know is unfair. I watched a fair number of Gonzaga games this year and he hasn't a nice college game but just doesn't look like a pro.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I can't help but see a long haired big man from Gonzaga and not think Adam Morrison which I know is unfair. I watched a fair number of Gonzaga games this year and he hasn't a nice college game but just doesn't look like a pro.

But he didn't cry in his final college game, did he? Never draft a guy that cries. That's pretty important.

Reaction Score
You assume that KG would have waived his no-trade clause to go anywhere. And that Ainge didn't kick the tires on that. Once you can identify a solid lead that Ainge should have but didn't chase down, then I'll listen to complaints about how Ainge should have gotten more. Houston and Dallas are both trying to save cap space to sign Howard, by the way. No room for these guys. Parsons is making like a million a year. Also, Ainge had to move quickly because he had only a short window to trigger Pierce's contract.

Also, while there's no guarantee on the 2018 draft, I would tend to think the Nets won't be very good. They're probably going to have to blow up that roster at some point, giving away good assets to rid themselves of bad ones. That could happen by 2016 or 2017 (when the C's can swap picks with NJ) as well. Potentially, the Celts could get 2 or 3 high lottery picks out of this.

You're right, there were definitely factors out of Boston's control that ultimately led to them settling for less in a trade like this, I just think if I'm giving up Garnett and Pierce - two players who are still extremely good - I want at least one legitimate piece back in return that isn't a draft pick. You or I don't know whether one was available, but in a league of 29 other teams and a lot of nice young talent, I have a hard time believing Boston couldn't find a more viable trading partner.

The question now becomes, does Boston hold on to Rondo? He's still young and under a more than reasonable contract for two more years, so it will be interesting to see if Boston attempts to build around him going forward or tank completely and truly blow the whole thing up. Obviously there is no rush with the Rondo injury, but I'd imagine there would be plenty of suitors if the Celtics did decide to move him.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Rondo will call the shots. If healthy in Feb he can choose an extension or trade and veto any deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom