And the accolades keep rolling in... | The Boneyard

And the accolades keep rolling in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
How about this... The Yanks call... The Mets call... And the Sox...

We need all of them so we look attractive to the BIG10 and the ACC... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How about this... The Yanks call... The Mets call... And the Sox...

We need all of them so we look attractive to the BIG10 and the ACC... :rolleyes:
Hey I think it's a great angle to keep pushing UConn as not only New York City's team, but also New England's. I mean being the most visible and successful college sports brand in the wealthiest part of the country has to count for something with these conference bean counters, right? And, let's face it, there's not a lot of collegiate competition for UConn in this part of the country in terms of big time athletics.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
It's Sox vs. Yankees at 7:05 PM. Now Sox AND Yanks fans can be happy.....

Reaction Score
Red Sox is (BC) ACC country. We need to claim NY, how else can we move outta the America.

Reaction Score
Well UConn is decidedly in Red Sox territory, like it or not.
I keep reading here how UCONN is owning the NY market now. I lived in CT for about 20 years and found it to be maybe ~60/40 Red Sox, but far from "decidedly Red Sox territory". As UCONN's market expands South, it will become much more Yankee oriented. Baseball is more like college athletics than the other pro leagues. Those leagues depend more on the draft, where the worst team gets the first choice, etc. In baseball you can just buy the best if you've been successful and have the resources. In college you can recruit whoever you want, and past success breeds future recruiting success. UCONN WBB is very much like the Yankees, and people hate us for the same reason - the rich get richer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I keep reading here how UCONN is owning the NY market now. I lived in CT for about 20 years and found it to be maybe ~60/40 Red Sox, but far from "decidedly Red Sox territory". As UCONN's market expands South, it will become much more Yankee oriented. Baseball is more like college athletics than the other pro leagues. Those leagues depend more on the draft, where the worst team gets the first choice, etc. In baseball you can just buy the best if you've been successful and have the resources. In college you can recruit whoever you want, and past success breeds future recruiting success. UCONN WBB is very much like the Yankees, and people hate us for the same reason - the rich get richer.
It really does depend on where in the state you live, but there is a definite NY/Boston split on all the pro sports. And in general except on the commuter belt NH to the NY border most CT residence think of themselves as New Englander.
As for the Yankees/Red Sox - they both seem to be vying for top spender most years - and recently the Red Sox have the titles.

Reaction Score
It really does depend on where in the state you live, but there is a definite NY/Boston split on all the pro sports. And in general except on the commuter belt NH to the NY border most CT residence think of themselves as New Englander.
As for the Yankees/Red Sox - they both seem to be vying for top spender most years - and recently the Red Sox have the titles.
I guess if you want to do the Geno vs Pat thing, the Yankees have won 27

CTyankee

Reaction Score
I wonder if anyone in the athletic department has attempted to contact the Yankees PR dept (I wonder if George Constanza is still there) to see if UConn can promote their locality and participating athlete-students in the NYC area... Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson...

And the Mets are tied in to SNY... Can UConn use this connection to get a date with the Mets?

Everything helps... We need to get out of the AA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Once you get out of Fairfield and New Haven counties, in other words central/northern/eastern Connecticut, people are generally aligned with New England and its sports teams. UConn is in the northeastern part of the state, maybe 90 minutes outside of Boston. Definitely Red Sox territory.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
Forget the Red Sox and the Yankees and the Connecticut split...

Longer term, Connecticut has only ONE home team and that is UConn... Financially UConn affects all of us who live here. We need to get "promoted" to a big time league... BIG10 or ACC... If we can convince either the ACC or the BIG10 that we are a large draw in the NY metro area and Boston metro, it might help in getting us into a conference with a financial future.

Reaction Score
Forget the Red Sox and the Yankees and the Connecticut split...

Longer term, Connecticut has only ONE home team and that is UConn... Financially UConn affects all of us who live here. We need to get "promoted" to a big time league... BIG10 or ACC... If we can convince either the ACC or the BIG10 that we are a large draw in the NY metro area and Boston metro, it might help in getting us into a conference with a financial future.
From a college sports standpoint, I'm pretty sure UConn is the only draw in New England. Now NYC is a bit debatable because there's a big Rutgers and even PSU contingent, but in basketball neither of those schools can compete with UConn.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
If they can play at the Garden on occasions and win, they will be a NYC team...

Reaction Score
Right in backyard of boston college. How did that ACC thing work out?

Reaction Score
Right in backyard of boston college. How did that ACC thing work out?
To be honest, I thought BC went out of business or something. Since the move to the ACC you hardly ever hear about any of their teams or see them on TV.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
333x500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads