AN OBVIOUS MISTAKE BY MARYLAND | The Boneyard

AN OBVIOUS MISTAKE BY MARYLAND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“Obviously disappointed. A missed opportunity for us,” said Terrapins Coach Brenda Frese, who earlier in the day signed a contract extension that will keep her in College Park through at least 2021. “But they’re the defending national champions for a reason.”

the extension was and obvious mistake. if they were ever going to climb the ladder in WCBB, it was last night. couldn't get it done.

Reaction Score
the Maryland sycophants are stunned, Frese promised a victory, and they had an ugly lose at home. The Maryland boards are dead, 2 comments since the end of the game

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have no problem with Maryland giving Brenda an extension. She has done well for the program and its not like she's been there for 20 years and hasn't won a National Championship. There are many other programs where a winning record is all the coach needs to do to retain their jobs.

HGN

Reaction Score
Brenda Frese has done well by Maryland and deserved that extension....If beating UConn , even when depleted, is the standard for which coaches keep their jobs there will be a lot of out of work coaches. She didn't get it done last night, but there will be many to join her.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Certainly Brenda has her flaws as a coach -- and they were highlighted last night. But it's silly to dismiss what she's done at Maryland.

'sides -- who would you hire?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So glad to see some common sense here. I'm no Brenda fan either, but she has made Maryland relevant (which it wasn't), won that NC, recruited well, consistently contended for the ACC championship and progressed respectively in the dance.

She has not, of course, turned her team into a UConn. No surprise there.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
She is a good coach in the world of women's hoops, and face it, who are they going to get who is better? The women's basketball world is not filled with terrific coaches, certainly not noticeably more successful than she. UConn fans are spoiled. Probably have the best coach in the history of women's hoops. He gets in the way of a few people having championships. How many times since he's been at UConn have really key injuries opened the door to another school winning the NC.? I mean key injuries, like to Sales, and Ralph and Abrosimova to name a few. 8 NCs is not quite an accurate measure of how dominant his program has been. This is an era, where with all due respect - I mean it - to Pat Summitt , the depth of the challenging field during UConn's rise is greater than during much of hers. They are rarely in a close game period, and certainly even more rarely against a team that doesn't figure to belong on the same floor as them. Their down years are just about everyone else's dream year.

Muffett comes reasonably close as a game coach. Tara, very good, but she's not going anywhere. Walz, time will tell. Mulkey, only one NC with a dominant force and one other. Coale? Good coach, no NCs. Andy Landers, the guy who has done less with more except for HOF Sylvia Hatchell (hope she comes through her ordeal ok) than maybe any long-tenured coach in women's hoops? C.Viv has been considered a great coach. The point is, the list of candidates that would be available to any school who seem better than Brenda is darn small (doesn't make her great, just better than the competition) and among those active coaches, none are going to leave their program to go to Maryland. Even among the more successful coaches at mid-majors, the chances of any of them being an upgrade to her are slim. Assistant coaches from other programs? Not an option. Even among Geno proteges, Rizzotti is the only one who jumps out as maybe someone who could get the job done in the right setting. Brenda does have an NC under her belt, a claim not too many current coaches can make.

Sorry to belabor this, but Harry Peretta is, to me, a great example of the real difference between major college men's and women's hoops. I'm not saying it is necessarily good or bad. How long does anyone think Villanova would have retained a men's team coach with Harry's record or approach to the game? His style will not ever attract the kind of talent needed to challenge at the top level of the sport. I think he has a better basketball mind than does Brenda. But Brenda is getting the kind of talent that keeps her team in the top level discussion and is successful enough to preserve her status.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Have no problem with Maryland giving Brenda an extension. She has done well for the program and its not like she's been there for 20 years and hasn't won a National Championship. There are many other programs where a winning record is all the coach needs to do to retain their jobs.
Good point - and she has done better than just a winning record - MD has consistently been near the top of the ACC and won a NC. And her recruiting has been solid. And last year she took a wounded program a lot farther than anyone expected - sort of what Geno is faced with right now, but knowing that he is getting his players back in the not too distant future - I believe MD had only seven for almost the whole year.
I don't think she is a great coach, but I think she has put together a really good program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom