An Impossible Challenge from the 2nd tier in Waco | The Boneyard

An Impossible Challenge from the 2nd tier in Waco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Name your "All-Geno Team" 5 starters at G,G,F,F,C + 3 at any position 8 total--a fairly good number for most bench rotations.

Impossible, I know, and I did not watch UCONN in the earliest years. Just curious who your all-time greats are.

Your board has lively, informed, history on it. I'll hang up and enjoy reading if any of you want to give it a try.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I'll bite...Tina, Sue, Diana, Breanna, and that fella on the Lynx(what's her name?)
Moriah, Rebecca & Jen get lots of playing time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'll double down on the Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart, Tina Charles starting five. My bench is different, though - Kerry Bascom, Nykesha Sales, and Moriah Jefferson. I love Rebecca to pieces but she's not athletic enough.

Reaction Score
I'll catch flak for this, but I'm putting MoJet in to start, along with Maya, DT, Breanna and Tina. Sue will come off the bench along with Step and KML.

Reaction Score
Bird, taurasi, Moore, Stewart, and Charles feels like a no brainer to me. I'd take Jefferson, sales, and cash off the bench.

Reaction Score
G Bird
G Taurasi
C Charles
F Stewart
F Moore

Jefferson
Sales
Wolters

Reaction Score
Go to go with:Bird,Tautasi, Moore,And Charles. Cash Sales & you can't go wrong with one of the next five mentioned!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Surprised Sveta is getting no love! And Shea! Shea by the way has the highest shooting percentage of any wing/guard for a career and for a season at Uconn - for a season she is the only non-center in the top ten at #8 .624, for her career she is at #6 .579 behind Williams, Wolters, Dolson, and J. Moore.

When I first read the OP I was thinking 'All Geno' like 'All Madden' - 'toughest, scrappiest, getting the absolute most out of their talent' as opposed to the most talented. That would be a very interesting discussion as well! Most of those listed above would still qualify, but players like Jamelle and Barb would at least be in the discussion, and Faris, Doty, and Thomas.

Reaction Score
While the stating 5 of Bird, DT, Maya, Stewie, and Tina are almost a no brainer, it's impossible to choose only 3 from Lobo, MoJeff, Cash, Shea, Svet, Dolson, Jen, Kara, Sales, etc...

Reaction Score
Starting five is a no-brainer, only because of what four of them have done after their UConn careers. Naming the next three is virtually impossible, though. One would have to put three generations of subs there, to be totally fair to the players who contributed mightily to this program.

Reaction Score
Starters:
Sue, Diana, Maya, Stewie, Tina.

Bench:
Moriah, Svet, Stef

I'll take this team against anyone :) although this was like Sophie's Choice. So many good options to choose from. An embarrassment of riches ❤️

Reaction Score
MoJett, Morgan, Breanna, Kia, KLS to start.... Three off the bench, lets see, Gabby, Boynkin...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Starting 5 are easy.
1 Bird
2 Taurasi
3 Moore
4 Stewart
5 Charles

After that it gets difficult.
I'd probably go with
G - Jefferson
F - Abrosimova (tough choice with KML. But Abrosimova gives you more height, and you have Bird, DT, Moore, Jefferson, Abrosimova as 3 pt threats)
F/P - Lobo

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Starters:
G: Moore
G Taurasi
F: Charles
F Stewart
C: Wolters

Reserves:
F: Bascom
C/F Lobo
G: Bird

Close/tough calls on Montgomery, MoJeff, Sales, Cash, & Abrosimova.

Reaction Score
Starters:
Charles
DT
Bird
Moore
Stewart

Bench:
Svet
Sales
Cash

Really would like to find a spot of Shea, but OP said only 8 players.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Starters: Diana Taursi, Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart, Tina Charles
subs: Nykesha Sales, Mo Jefferson, Rebecca Lobo

Reaction Score
I'll go with Moriah, DT, Maya, Stewart, Charles as the starting 5 with Bird, Wolters, and KML off the bench. Though i will protest that 8 is too few. 8 is insufficient to rank the best UConn teams, let alone try to put together a top team. Also since everyone should pick Stewart, Maya, and DT, it really is a choice of 5 players.

Reaction Score
Starters: Lorin Dixon, Sue Bird, DT, Maya Moore, Stewie
Sub: Moriah Jefferson, Tina Charles, Dolson

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Starters:
G: Moore
G Taurasi
F: Charles
F Stewart
BEAN-say-what.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We differ by 4 names total (Wolters, Bascom, Jefferson, & Abrosimova). The last two of yours I gave consideration to. So I take it you are not that high on Wolters & Bascom. Numbers don't lie- check the UCONN record books.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We differ by 4 names total (Wolters, Bascom, Jefferson, & Abrosimova). The last two of yours I gave consideration to. So I take it you are not that high on Wolters & Bascom. Numbers don't lie- check the UCONN record books.
You took the best point guard of all time off the starting team. And you put Wolters before Lobo. And you made Moore a PG. And you put Charles at the 3.

54497361.jpg

Reaction Score
I'll double down on the Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart, Tina Charles starting five. My bench is different, though - Kerry Bascom, Nykesha Sales, and Moriah Jefferson. I love Rebecca to pieces but she's not athletic enough.
The game has changed dramatically since Lobo played same is true of Sales and Bascom. Yet I doubt any Uconn fan can argue with Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asyia Jones (?), Tamika William, DT except for lacking in size (compared to Wolters, Lobo, Stef, Stewie, ) they were, as a team, exceptional and made the game of Women's Basketball look faster, more accurate, and yes thrilling than many of the Men's games then. But for pure heart warming thrill --watch Jefferson on the fly she just proves the different level of play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You took the best point guard of all time off the starting team. And you put Wolters before Lobo. And you made Moore a PG. And you put Charles at the 3.

54497361.jpg
You took the best point guard of all time off the starting team.
Bird is still on my team just not starting-see why below.

And you put Wolters before Lobo.
Yes I did and here is why. Both players made my team but Wolters is the starter because if you look at the champion season '95 the numbers were comparable 17.1 points & 9.8 rebounds for Lobo and 17 and 8 for Wolters. What gets lost in Wolters' numbers is that she actually increased her numbers over '95 season for the next two season when hardly anyone was paying attention. Wolters never shot below 62% for a full season while Lobo only shot above 50% 1 time- 54% in '94.

And you made Moore a PG.
No, on this team DT the two time Lieberman Winner and UCONN alltime assist leader is the PG and a better choice IMO than Bird who is only 4th on the assist list.

And you put Charles at the 3.
Not really but I understand your confusion.
I should have been listed my starters this way:
Starters:
PG:Taurasi
SG: Moore
SF:Stewart
PF: Charles
Reserves:
SF/PF: Bascom
C/PF Lobo
PG/SG: Bird

Status