Amida having surgery per Dave Borges | The Boneyard

Amida having surgery per Dave Borges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@DaveBorges: Amida Brimah's legal guardian says Brimah will undergo left shoulder surgery #uconn http://post original url/WDTV2j7qfB

Will miss 4 months. Really unfortunate. Hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

Reaction Score
Good luck Amida - get healthy and 100%……….tough to lose the summer to work on the natural aspect of his game but he has plenty of time and health is huge!

U

UCONNfan1

Well, obviously not "good", but good in that it's getting done now and not in September. It will be hard for him to work out and gain weight - but better to get it done now and get healthy as soon possible.

Get well soon Amida, and look forward to seeing you back better than ever next year!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Why does a 20 year old have a "legal guardian"? Is that just a term they use for lack of a better description?

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to remember a UConn freshman who improved so much from the start to the end of the season. If he picks up where he left off, he'll still improve dramatically and be a star by mid-season.

Reaction Score
There goes a summer of lifting and skill development.

That big leap we were hoping for next year might have to wait for 2015-16.

Reaction Score
Why does a 20 year old have a "legal guardian"? Is that just a term they use for lack of a better description?

I believe it depends on the state you live in, but I think the consensus is 18-21 years of age. That said, Brimah came to the USA at the age of 16, so he's essentially been here less than 4 years. If he has a solid relationship with his guardian, he most likely trusts their opinion. And they in turn, most often are concerned with his welfare. There are possibly "shady" guardians around, but I'm guessing most are genuinely concerned about the kids they take in. And I'm certain the UConn coaching/medical staff have a pull in it too. I think lots of people are looking out for Brimah. It's a good situation to be in. :)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I believe it depends on the state you live in, but I think the consensus is 18-21 years of age. That said, Brimah came to the USA at the age of 16, so he's essentially been here less than 4 years. If he has a solid relationship with his guardian, he most likely trusts their opinion. And they in turn, most often are concerned with his welfare. There are possibly "shady" guardians around, but I'm guessing most are genuinely concerned about the kids they take in. And I'm certain the UConn coaching/medical staff have a pull in it too. I think lots of people are looking out for Brimah. It's a good situation to be in. :)

Sometimes people call themselves "guardian" when they have no legal standing. I wonder if this "legal guardian" was a guardian until Amida turned 18 and then, not so much.

Reaction Score
Why are we questioning why he has a guardian? Who really gives a s h ! t. God forbid he consults someone HE trusts.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Why are we questioning why he has a guardian? Who really gives a s h ! t. God forbid he consults someone HE trusts.
Not questioning necessarily, just wondering why a 20 year old man would have "legal guardian" I'm guessing it was his legal guardian who, know that he is an adult, is actually a trusted advisor and not an actual guardian.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much he can still work on his core and lower body while he's rehabbing this injury, that is where he needs to build up the most strength imo.
That's a good question. They'll probably proceed with caution with any type of lifting at first. However, once the summer gets going, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do leg/core work. He'll have to negate a few things that will put strain on his shoulders at first: squats, barbell or dumbbell lunges... As time goes on towards the end of the summer it might come down to how he feels. I've had minor shoulder surgery before and was supposed to be out of the gym for 3 months. I got back in in a month and a half... Although I'm also not a D1 athlete, future NBA lottery pick

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Kids a ball of energy!!! He'll be one hungry husky once he's able to practice and compete.

Might have to lay off the chops until tournament time.

Reaction Score
Every day for 4 months -

500 right handed baby hooks from 4-8 feet.
500 right handed free throws (left hand is merely a balancer and with his size hands, he hardly needs the left).
Squats, leg extensions, calf raises, glut crunches.

No excuses. If you can't get better at cracking skulls because your hand hurts, then get better at kicking ass with your healthy foot.

This kid won't sit still. Bank on it.

Get better son. If you ever need a new guardian, call me.

Reaction Score
He wasn't even 100% and he led the country in block% as a freshman . Wow

Reaction Score
What they don't tell you about the 4-5 month recovery period is that it is painful as hell. When I was in PT, people who had the shoulder surgery would save up their pain pills to take just before PT. Good luck to Amida as he goes through the procedure and recovery.

Reaction Score
That kind of operation will make it impossible for him to work out- it will be painful to get out of bed in the morning let alone workout.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I wonder how much he can still work on his core and lower body while he's rehabbing this injury, that is where he needs to build up the most strength imo.
Squats, lunges and bends with heavy chains and/or weight jacket. That'll at least get some weight on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom