Amida Brimah May Need Shoulder Surgery | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah May Need Shoulder Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amida Brimah's left shoulder bothered him for most of his freshman season. On Wednesday, he will meet with doctors to determine whether he needs surgery.

Nothing's been determined yet, and Brimah will discuss his options with doctors, as well as his guardian and others. If surgery is necessary, he would be sidelined for about four months -- or until August. He'd essentially be on the same rehab regimen as Rodney Purvis, who had shoulder surgery this past December. Purvis said he was just cleared for all basketball-related activities a few weeks ago.

That could be one of the factors in determining whether or not Brimah has surgery. This is an important offseason for his development, and losing four months of it would obviously affect that.

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2014/04/shabazz-throws-first-pitch-amida-brimah.html

That sucks.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
No problem. Just come back next year with an unstoppable right-handed jump hook.

Reaction Score
Yikes. A missed offseason of development means we probably won't see him "blow up" the way a lot of us expected for his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
atleast its not his hips. While injured he should immerse himself in Ewing tape.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
We don't know the root cause or nature of the problem. We don't even know if surgery is indicated here yet. We also don't know how complex or severe the injury is compared to Purvis's, so even IF surgery is indicated, can we speculate AB will be out for four months?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope PT can work for the kid. Shoulder surgery is painful and the rehab is long. I had PT on my shoulder and it worked and maybe it will work for Amida.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
During the pre-season open practice it was seen that he was agitated by somthing in the shoulder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope he gets well but not playing all summer will hurt his progress without a doubt…….being healthy is a key but damn this is too bad…….maybe they should wait until July to decide?:eek:

Reaction Score
If surgery is indicated, then as soon as possible is the best option. Rehabbing is not a good choice in general. The long process may not yield the desired results. Rehabbing will take months without the surgery. During that time, he won't be able to work on the areas he needs for his basketball improvement. If it is discovered that rehabbing alone is not successful; then surgery will be indicated.

Of course there is always the possibility that surgery will not be successful. In that case; Brimah will not be a contributor to the Huskies on the basketball floor. No option is good, so it is a case of trying to choose the least bad option. I realize that contradicts my first sentence,
but remember "consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Reaction Score
If surgery is indicated, then as soon as possible is the best option. Rehabbing is not a good choice in general. The long process may not yield the desired results. Rehabbing will take months without the surgery. During that time, he won't be able to work on the areas he needs for his basketball improvement. If it is discovered that rehabbing alone is not successful; then surgery will be indicated.

Of course there is always the possibility that surgery will not be successful. In that case; Brimah will not be a contributor to the Huskies on the basketball floor. No option is good, so it is a case of trying to choose the least bad option. I realize that contradicts my first sentence,
It all depends on what the problem is. It may very well be that he needs to strengthen the shoulder and nothing more. Rehab exercises are the last thing you would be doing during basketball season.

I've had both my shoulders scoped. One rotator cuff tear, one labrum tear, and once just for some frayed tendons. So I know of which I speak.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Thanks for cheering me up zymurg!

Reaction Score
This is a kid who needs repetition but healthy is #1……he is a big piece moving forward no pun intended. Whatever works and yields the best results I will trust will happen. But much like what may have happened to Omar, the unknown is a scary place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom