American Sniper | Page 2 | The Boneyard

American Sniper

Reaction Score
Just do a google search there is tons of stuff out there. Jessie Ventura won 1.8 million from Kyle's estate because Kyle completely made up a story about Ventura for his book and then went on an interview press junket spreading the made up story about Ventura. He claimed Ventura was out at a bar in California, Ventura was in town to talk to Seal graduates the next day and there was also people there for a wake that was just held for a dead Navy Seal. Kyle said Ventura was saying the Seal deserved to die and that others should die because they kill innocent women and children, Kyle says he calmly told Ventura to stop and Ventura went on and on until Kyle knocked him out and Ventura had to go to his Navy Seal function the next day with a black eye. The entire story was fabricated on Kyle's part to sell books. He also made up a story of he and another sniper buddy going down to New Orleans after Katrina and camping out on rooftops shooting dozens of looters and there is a story of him killing a couple of guys in Texas after the war who tried to carjack him, this also never took place. I get that we all want heros to look up to and there is great bravery in what this guy and others have done in battle to keep us safe but there is just too much out there that leads me to believe Kyle was a bad guy.

And since NONE of that was portrayed in the movie or had any bearing whatsoever on the story being told... that would be the definition of "irrelevant"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have read reviews that state that the film uses 9/11 imagery as a justification for the Iraq War. Did Eastwood really do that?

Reaction Score
I have read reviews that state that the film uses 9/11 imagery as a justification for the Iraq War. Did Eastwood really do that?

No.

There is a scene where Kyle and his wife watch 9/11 on TV.

But it isnt connected to anything in the movie events.

Reaction Score
Actually from what I read, he did get some from her, or rather the estate (which is now her and her kids). And he continued the suit after Kyle's death.

You really think this lowered Ventura's name any further down than it was? He's been a blowhard POS for pretty much his whole life. I doubt anyone would think less of him than they already did.

]
Probably because he's an @ss and it's a pretty low thing to do. I've also read he may try to sue again because the publishing company has made a lot more money now because of the movie.
How on earth is it a low thing to do? You can't just make up horrible lies about someone and profit off of it, you really think that's fair? Ventura was awarded 1.8 million from the Kyle estate, which from my understanding most if not all is covered by her insurance, Kyle's wife is a wealthy woman now which is besides the point. You really think just because you have a low opinion of someone that they shouldn't defend themselves when a horrible lie is spread about them, they shouldn't want to clear their name? That seriously makes no sense to me. I think Ventura is thinking about suing HarperCollins for not taking out the story about him, I know Taya Kyle is still fighting Ventura in court over the judgment.

Reaction Score
And since NONE of that was portrayed in the movie or had any bearing whatsoever on the story being told... that would be the definition of "irrelevant"
I would hope they didn't put Kyle sniping people in New Orleans in the movie or him killing a couple of would be carjackers, I think people would have a different opinion of Kyle if this was included in the film. From what I've heard the movie is about him being an American hero and the movie is very patriotic, including those stories wouldn't achieve what the movie makers were trying to convey.

Reaction Score
Kyle's accomplishments are a major part of the movie but it is also about the horrors of war, the bravery and sacrifices of all soldiers, and the mental damage the war did on Kyle and its impact on him and his family.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Even without the fiction, Kyle was really good at what he did as a sniper. But the fiction is what sold the books and the movie ... and the book and the movie were mostly fiction.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Disagree. I think there is plenty there to prove he's a great guy. Willing to sacrifice himself. Pretty much everyone who knew him liked him. Granted he was a "good ole Texas boy" and got into his share of troubles. But he was definitely the kind of guy you'd want on your side and know he'd have your back.

However, I do think he had some pretty big demons when he came back from Iraq. Those probably played into his "lies". IDK, maybe he tried too hard to keep the "Legend" alive? Or thought he had too?? Certainly nobody is perfect and he wasn't close. But he did many, many good things to help lots of people.

I think overall he was a "good" person who had demons he had to deal with. Probably living up to "Chris Legend Kyle" was one of them.

Ventura on the other hand, suing the estate after Kyle was murdered. Now that's a bad person. IMO.

I'd be happier if Ventura donated the money to charity, but I would have done the same thing if someone told ridiculous lies about me. And I do question whether the suit was filed before Kylie's death, or after.

Reaction Score
At 18 this young man from Norwich entered the Army, at 20/21 he was a sniper in Iraq's "Triangle of Death". The Day ran this story about him a week ago. He went through the worst of the Iraq war but the worst for him was to come when he returned home for good. He has pulled things together now and I am so glad for him and his family. I was very impressed with him when I first met him. That was before his worst experiences in Iraq although he had already been there for a few months. His story covers all the difficulties of our involvement in Iraq and especially its effect on the youngest soldiers. We ask them to go through hell and sometimes they bring some of that hell back with them. http://www.theday.com/local/20150111/veteran-gets-fresh-start-with-fitness

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The movies producers and star are now actively de-politicizing this movie in interviews. They want viewers to focus on the character study, and not any of the pros/cons of the Iraq invasion. I will go along with that for now, at least until I see it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'd be happier if Ventura donated the money to charity, but I would have done the same thing if someone told ridiculous lies about me. And I do question whether the suit was filed before Kylie's death, or after.
It was filed before and continued after. A person with any sense of decency would have just let it drop after Kyle's death. Of course Ventura has never had that in his entire life, so not unexpected.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It was filed before and continued after. A person with any sense of decency would have just let it drop after Kyle's death. Of course Ventura has never had that in his entire life, so not unexpected.

A person with a sense of decency would not have made up such lies to sell a book.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A person with a sense of decency would not have made up such lies to sell a book.
Well actually he didn't to sell the book. Ventura's name isn't in the book.

But I see your point. Don't agree, but I can see your point.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Well actually he didn't to sell the book. Ventura's name isn't in the book.

But I see your point. Don't agree, but I can see your point.

He said it was Ventura while selling the book. That's a fact, and the jury agreed he was lying.

Kyle's service was admirable, but the book and movie were fiction.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No.

There is a scene where Kyle and his wife watch 9/11 on TV.

But it isnt connected to anything in the movie events.

Hold it. There's a scene where Kyle and his wife watch 9/11 on TV...then what? What is the next scene?

Reaction Score
Hold it. There's a scene where Kyle and his wife watch 9/11 on TV...then what? What is the next scene?

I don't recall the scene before or after. Just recall the scene...

Reaction Score
He's at the recruiters' office ready to enlist.

In real life, he tried to enlist before 9/11, was initially turned down from his rodeo injuries, and then the Navy re-considered and accepted him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's at the recruiters' office ready to enlist.

In real life, he tried to enlist before 9/11, was initially turned down from his rodeo injuries, and then the Navy re-considered and accepted him.
So it sure sounds like the movie ties 9/11 to the Iraq war.

Reaction Score
So it sure sounds like the movie ties 9/11 to the Iraq war.
It ties his motivation to join to the military to 9/11. Although his previous attempt to join the military would mean it was not.

BTW, since you raise the point, do you think we would have invaded Iraq if 9/11 never happened? I think that is a fair question.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It ties his motivation to join to the military to 9/11. Although his previous attempt to join the military would mean it was not.

BTW, since you raise the point, do you think we would have invaded Iraq if 9/11 never happened? I think that is a fair question.

Yes, Cheney would have invaded Iraq even without 9/11.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, Cheney would have invaded Iraq even without 9/11.
Should have been done many years before. Clinton blew that one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom