American Hustle | The Boneyard

American Hustle

Reaction Score
Best movie I have seen in ages. Clearly the best film Russell has made and he has made some really good ones.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Was planning on seeing it this last weekend, but other things took priority. Hopefully we can get out to see it next weekend. Really looking forward to this one.

Reaction Score
I thought it was entertaining, some of the minor roles were pretty campy and there's like 5 scenes of people lip singing songs which was about 5 scenes too many for me.

Reaction Score
GREAT film...politics as usual in NJ. Great acting all around. Like the prologue...'some of this really happened'.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I thought the parts were greater than the sum of the whole. Good acting, but kind of like Ocean's 11 meets Abscam.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have a hard time enjoying shows depicting this period. The greasy hair, the polyester, the giant collars, the smog. The whole of the late 70's remind me of the third day bedridden with the flu....phlegmy and sticky, yuck.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Great movie. Jeremy Renner is one of my favorite actors. He was perfect as the really nice, likable, ethically ambiguous Carmen Polito. Christian Bale was very good too in a role very off standard for him. Cooper as the overly ambitious but not particularly intelligent FBI agent was great. This may have been the first movie where Amy Adams didn't completely chew the scenery. Russell deserves an Oscar for that alone.

The scene with Deniro is a fairly large plot hole though. As soon as Deniro stared speaking Arabic and it was clear that the "Sheik" had no idea what he was saying, that room would have cleared out.

Reaction Score
It really is a fun movie, Jennifer Lawrence was good and of course Bale was great but the real standout was Jeremy Renner, just a great performance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
These two posts sum in up for me. I enjoyed it fine, but Bradley Cooper is still seems a bit of a lightweight to me.
Well he did mostly start out in Rom-coms (or just comedies). But it looks like he's trying to stretch out to more meaty roles. I thought he was very good in Silver Linings Playbook.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
These two posts sum in up for me. I enjoyed it fine, but Bradley Cooper is still seems a bit of a lightweight to me.

He is supposed to be a lightweight in the movie. It is a hard role to pull off. Most actors are very intelligent (lots of remembering lines and putting yourself in the shoes of others, etc.), and many struggle when trying to play someone who is not too bright. I thought Cooper did a great job playing someone who could almost, but not quite, see the whole picture. He was smart enough to catch Bale and Adams' characters, but not smart enough to save himself.

Huston from Boardwalk Empire is an amazing actor, and I hope he gets more roles. His character didn't do much in this movie, but he has such an interesting look and is so good that he should be getting roles as a character actor for as long as he wants them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom