American document in response to changes | The Boneyard

American document in response to changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds to me like the AAC is very afraid, and yes it should be, but it seems more afraid than I even imagined:

http://theamerican.org/documents/2014/7/18/June_Pages.pdf

For instance, the mandatory legislation stuff. Seems as though the p5 have figured out a way to funnel money to players which the G5 are prohibited from doing.

Even worse, shared governance concerns are about transfers and such.

The field certainly seems tilted, and the fear is palpable.

Reaction Score
Yesterday's comment:

"The NCAA governance redesign process is moving in the right direction in meeting the needs of student-athletes and giving them a greater voice," said Mike Aresco, commissioner of the American Athletic Conference. "At first glance, the new governance model also preserves our conference's ability to compete at the highest levels as we have been doing."

All posturing...

Reaction Score
If this goes through, as proposed, they have created a subdivision within the FBS. There is no denying it. The chatter of P5 schools only playing themselves last winter and spring..... connect the dots here. It is only a matter of time. I am not in favor of lawyers and lawsuits and that may not yield anything, but I think it is inevitable. The schools that stand the to lose the most are undoubtedly, the G5 schools. They are really between a rock and a hard place. Problem is there is a huge gap between the schools at the top of the G5 and the bottom in terms of athletic spending.

If the NCAA/D1 really wanted to restructure, the only way to do it would be by athletic budgets but they will never do that.

Reaction Score
If this goes through, as proposed, they have created a subdivision within the FBS. There is no denying it. The chatter of P5 schools only playing themselves last winter and spring..... connect the dots here. It is only a matter of time. I am not in favor of lawyers and lawsuits and that may not yield anything, but I think it is inevitable. The schools that stand the to lose the most are undoubtedly, the G5 schools. They are really between a rock and a hard place. Problem is there is a huge gap between the schools at the top of the G5 and the bottom in terms of athletic spending.

If the NCAA/D1 really wanted to restructure, the only way to do it would be by athletic budgets but they will never do that.

The P5 seem to want to create new rules for transfers and also benefits for students outside of stipends, which the G5 will not be allowed to do. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing in the legislation stipulating what makes a conference P5 or G5.

This is some crazy stuff.

The NCAA as an organization has to have rules delineating all of these things. The NCAA can't NOT have these rules.

This is an existential crisis for the NCAA.

And another interesting thing that the Georgetown president brought up. Why should the basketball money and the NCAA pay for enforcement of football rules and regulations if the NCAA receives no money for the football side?

Reaction Score
The G5 wouldn't be prohibited from doing anything - it's just that since the voting bloc make up will be primarily FCS and non-FB schools it'll be hard to make any changes from the status quo.

I think the big area that needs to be ironed out is the "Entry/Exit into autonomous conference" - once there is a clear guideline set there I think many of those concerns will go away...although it may lead to more realignment within the G5.

Reaction Score
The G5 wouldn't be prohibited from doing anything - it's just that since the voting bloc make up will be primarily FCS and non-FB schools it'll be hard to make any changes from the status quo.

I think the big area that needs to be ironed out is the "Entry/Exit into autonomous conference" - once there is a clear guideline set there I think many of those concerns will go away...although it may lead to more realignment within the G5.

That's the whole point. As long as the G5 need a majority of votes from the rest of the NCAA member schools in order to adopt these "rules of autonomy" they (we) are screwed. As I said earlier, the AAC & MWC would most likely want to participate but the remaining G5 conferences (Conf USA, MAC & Sun Belt) would never vote for it. Those 3 conferences will actually make more from the playoff than they have in the past (still peanuts in comparison to the P5) so the last thing they want to do is create separation between them & the AAC/MWC. Under the new format they have actually gained ground on schools like UConn, Cinci, Boise etc.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

The only entry into autonomous conferences is by invitation.

Reaction Score
The only entry into autonomous conferences is by invitation.
Read the bottom of page two of the linked letter. G5 Schools are asking that they be considered a P5/autonomy conference based on merrit. Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
The P5 seem to want to create new rules for transfers and also benefits for students outside of stipends, which the G5 will not be allowed to do. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing in the legislation stipulating what makes a conference P5 or G5.

This is some crazy stuff.

The NCAA as an organization has to have rules delineating all of these things. The NCAA can't NOT have these rules.

This is an existential crisis for the NCAA.

And another interesting thing that the Georgetown president brought up. Why should the basketball money and the NCAA pay for enforcement of football rules and regulations if the NCAA receives no money for the football side?

That is a good point as well. It really is appalling the greed exihibited by football side on this. Of course they're counter argument will be they are also part of the BBall tournament and thus are already paying.

Reaction Score

That is a good point as well. It really is appalling the greed exihibited by football side on this. Of course they're counter argument will be they are also part of the BBall tournament and thus are already paying.
Would it be appalling if Uconn was in a P5 conference? And while this is all FB driven, it will also apply to BB. What does this do to Uconn BB (both genders) if the AAC or Uconn do not follow suit?

Reaction Score
Would it be appalling if Uconn was in a P5 conference? And while this is all FB driven, it will also apply to BB. What does this do to Uconn BB (both genders) if the AAC or Uconn do not follow suit?
Yes. This "preservation" of the amateur model while trying to hog revenue is disgusting. Want to do something for student welfare that will benefit the most athletes? Redistribute the football playoff money in a manner consistent with how CBB tournament money is distributed. Let them keep the TV money from the conference contracts. That's all good, but for crying out loud, these are supposed to be amateur sports, at non profit/tax exempt institutes of education. Instead, with every move it looks like a minor league where every one gets paid except the players. Now they are going to throw the players some crumbs to keep the gov't off their , but only select players will get those crumbs. So in short yes, it is appalling regardless of what side UConn is on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes. This "preservation" of the amateur model while trying to hog revenue is disgusting. Want to do something for student welfare that will benefit the most athletes? Redistribute the football playoff money in a manner consistent with how CBB tournament money is distributed. Let them keep the TV money from the conference contracts. That's all good, but for crying out loud, these are supposed to be amateur sports, at non profit/tax exempt institutes of education. Instead, with every move it looks like a minor league where every one gets paid except the players. Now they are going to throw the players some crumbs to keep the gov't off their , but only select players will get those crumbs. So in short yes, it is appalling regardless of what side UConn is on.

Looking the other way has always been part of sports. From punch drunk broken boxers and horses destroyed on race tracks in the past to ignoring the long term impact of concussions in the NFL and the exploitation of college athletes today.

I enjoyed the World Cup this summer. It ruined lives in Brazil and continues to end them in Qatar. I'm still going to watch in 2022.

At the end of the day the players hold the power but it's difficult to organize. Players want change? Very simple: The four football semi-finalists don't take the field at game time. Time to tip off the Final Four? Not so fast my friend.

Then who dictates going forward?

Reaction Score
Looking the other way has always been part of sports. From punch drunk broken boxers and horses destroyed on race tracks in the past to ignoring the long term impact of concussions in the NFL and the exploitation of college athletes today.

I enjoyed the World Cup this summer. It ruined lives in Brazil and continues to end them in Qatar. I'm still going to watch in 2022.

At the end of the day the players hold the power but it's difficult to organize. Players want change? Very simple: The four football semi-finalists don't take the field at game time. Time to tip off the Final Four? Not so fast my friend.

I totally get this. I want UConn to be part of the P5 Cartel because I enjoy UConn sports competing at the highest level. I can say that and still recognize that there are major imbalances with the way things are today. That is a very interesting thing you brought up with the players not taking the field or court on the biggest college stage. I can't imagine the courage that would take or the amount of blackballing they would face if they did something like that. I could see too many players worried about what it would do their pro prospects to ever happen, but yeah that would be a hell of a message.

Reaction Score

The controversy surrounding the spectacle of players refusing to take the field would get huge ratings.

And then the next year, all the frosh-juniors on the team would be threatened with scholarship loss.

Reaction Score
The casual American sports fan (the type of person who doesn't have a flying clue what the P5 and G5 are but loves to watch March Madness) is just foaming at the bit to fill out the 16 team basketball bracket with the thrilling 4vs1 upset of Iowa St vs UNC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The controversy surrounding the spectacle of players refusing to take the field would get huge ratings.

And then the next year, all the frosh-juniors on the team would be threatened with scholarship loss.

Yes thank you for clarifying my point that it's difficult to organize.

It's only my opinion but I think the schools and NCAA would blink. Of course you a higher ed schill who tries to sell that schools lose money on sports... so that makes any conversation pointless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I totally get this. I want UConn to be part of the P5 Cartel because I enjoy UConn sports competing at the highest level. I can say that and still recognize that there are major imbalances with the way things are today. That is a very interesting thing you brought up with the players not taking the field or court on the biggest college stage. I can't imagine the courage that would take or the amount of blackballing they would face if they did something like that. I could see too many players worried about what it would do their pro prospects to ever happen, but yeah that would be a hell of a message.

Blackballing from what? The NBA and NFL will draft and pay you commesurate with anticpated value. There would be no professional penalty. The cost to the players would be the opportunity to play for a championship.

The NBA and NFL don't give a damn about the NCAA. For all the overpaid coaches and athletic directors in the college game, no entity profits more from the current state than the NBA and NFL.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Blackballing from what? The NBA and NFL will draft and pay you commesurate with anticpated value. There would be no professional penalty. The cost to the players would be the opportunity to play for a championship.

The NBA and NFL don't give a damn about the NCAA. For all the overpaid coaches and athletic directors in the college game, no entity profits more from the current state than the NBA and NFL.
I could see players fearing repercussions of having their draft value take a hit. We see players draft stock drop for all types of reasons. Failed weed tests, supposed character reasons. I'm not saying that it would hurt their draft chances, only that the players could fear that happening and thus be reluctant to do so. And as upstater said, the underclassmen that would be coming back would also have to worry about how the schools are going to treat them going forward. It would take huge balls to do.

Reaction Score
The American needs let the world know it will offer all benefits and follow all rules applicable to P5 whether or not it is "permitted" to do so. If Alabama will offer it, so will UConn. If NCAA takes action or otherwise tries to stop us, that's when we go to court.

Reaction Score
I am more convinced than ever that college athletics (both P5 and G5) are on a desasterouse course.

Reaction Score
Yes thank you for clarifying my point that it's difficult to organize.

It's only my opinion but I think the schools and NCAA would blink. Of course you a higher ed schill who tries to sell that schools lose money on sports... so that makes any conversation pointless.

If you're in higher ed, you probably know how to count. So when you look at a budget and see countless subsidies, it begs credulity to call those subsidies profits. And when you have a budget of $75 million, it is very impressive to have expenditures come within 75 cents of revenues year after year. At least some people are impressed by that.

Reaction Score

You don't see the contradiction in what you're writing?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The American needs let the world know it will offer all benefits and follow all rules applicable to P5 whether or not it is "permitted" to do so. If Alabama will offer it, so will UConn. If NCAA takes action or otherwise tries to stop us, that's when we go to court.

Spot on. UCONN should make a decision to adopt whatever is passed by the P5 conferences, regardless of what other G5 schools do. If the NCAA/AAC doesn't approve, let's battle it out in court. After all, if it weren't for the NCAA's ridiculous APR postseason ban (and then allowing UNC and Oklahoma State get away with academic filth) is one of the reasons why UCONN is stuck in the AAC in the first place. UCONN should absolutely act like a big market baseball team until it can find a P5 home. We can align ourselves with any G5 school that wants to follow our lead. The schools who can't afford it (or won't pay for it) can align separately.

Reaction Score
Spot on. UCONN should make a decision to adopt whatever is passed by the P5 conferences, regardless of what other G5 schools do. If the NCAA/AAC doesn't approve, let's battle it out in court. After all, if it weren't for the NCAA's ridiculous APR postseason ban (and then allowing UNC and Oklahoma State get away with academic filth) is one of the reasons why UCONN is stuck in the AAC in the first place. UCONN should absolutely act like a big market baseball team until it can find a P5 home. We can align ourselves with any G5 school that wants to follow our lead. The schools who can't afford it (or won't pay for it) can align separately.

But where are we going to get the money to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom