Amazing Stanford factlet ... | The Boneyard

Amazing Stanford factlet ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was just looking at the Stanford WBB roster for this year and I noticed it looked kinda long ... but, NO! There's a reason for that impression - it's not oversized, there are three (count 'em) THREE redshirt players listed AND a "retiree."

Is this a new trend in WCBB? It looks more like a college football team, what with all the extras!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, it's a Stanford education, so I'm sure some players don't mind being at the end of a long roster if they get to graduate with a degree from Stanford.

Reaction Score
The only other school in Stanford's special category, oddly enough, is the other Cardinal: Louisville. With that Kentucky-based entry in the Bloated Roster Contest, you have to read it every day or you'll miss somebody who was on Jeff's team for a day or two.

Maybe it's a redbird thing. (Yeah - I know it's a color, not the bird or a high church official.)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Was just looking at the Stanford WBB roster for this year and I noticed it looked kinda long ... but, NO! There's a reason for that impression - it's not oversized, there are three (count 'em) THREE redshirt players listed AND a "retiree."

Is this a new trend in WCBB? It looks more like a college football team, what with all the extras!

I see four RS, but no retiree. Where are you seeing the retiree?

Reaction Score
I see four RS, but no retiree. Where are you seeing the retiree?
Kokenis. Her leaving the team has been referred to elsewhere as "retiring."

And I missed Ruef, the fourth redshirt. LOL!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The only other school in Stanford's special category, oddly enough, is the other Cardinal: Louisville. With that Kentucky-based entry in the Bloated Roster Contest, you have to read it every day or you'll miss somebody who was on Jeff's team for a day or two.

Maybe it's a redbird thing. (Yeah - I know it's a color, not the bird or a high church official.)

Have you checked the Ball State roster yet ?

Reaction Score
Have you checked the Ball State roster yet ?

Are you talking about The Magnificent Volunteer-slaying Ball State Cardinals?

I do believe that's the first time I've seen a player's class listed as UNKNOWN.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I noticed that Kokenis is listed as on the roster.

There are 17 names on the roster. I know Briana Roberson is a walk-on, are any others? Is Kokenis technically a walk-on?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Got me curious so I went looking - that sure is a huge roster even with Kokenis retiring Tara is going to be able to play hockey with three full line shifts and a goalie.
Went on to look in on a few other teams and was surprised to see Louisville coming in at only 13, but haven't kept up with players leaving or not coming as I thought they were at limit. Same was true at UNC - after the 'over-recruiting' I was expecting them at max as well, but I guess they convinced a few players to look elsewhere? And Duke - they are at maximum which surprised me.
I do think 15+ players are too many to really work with - just not enough time in practice or games to treat the back end fairly - in competitive games half your team isn't leaving the bench and even in blow-outs 4 or 5 of them will only get a couple of minutes. That's fine if the back end is all walk-on caliber, but tough if they actual have some D1 talent.

Reaction Score
... Is Kokenis technically a walk-on?
Doubt it. More like major league baseball's "Inactive" status. I mean, she's got a scholarship, right?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Well, if she does, who doesn't? I know Briana Roberson is a walk-on, but that still leaves 16 others. At least one must be a walk-on.

(As an aside, I tried signing up atthe Cardboard, but got rejected, with a message to contact the admin, and no hint as to how to do so. Anyone know?)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Got me curious so I went looking - that sure is a huge roster even with Kokenis retiring Tara is going to be able to play hockey with three full line shifts and a goalie.
Went on to look in on a few other teams and was surprised to see Louisville coming in at only 13, but haven't kept up with players leaving or not coming as I thought they were at limit. Same was true at UNC - after the 'over-recruiting' I was expecting them at max as well, but I guess they convinced a few players to look elsewhere? And Duke - they are at maximum which surprised me.
I do think 15+ players are too many to really work with - just not enough time in practice or games to treat the back end fairly - in competitive games half your team isn't leaving the bench and even in blow-outs 4 or 5 of them will only get a couple of minutes. That's fine if the back end is all walk-on caliber, but tough if they actual have some D1 talent.

If you are interested, here are some other roster sizes:

• 16 New Mexico
  • 15 North Texas
  • 15 BYU
  • 15 Oklahoma State
  • 15 Kansas State
  • 14 Buffalo
  • 14 Milwaukee
  • 14 Northern Illinois
  • 14 Houston
  • 12 Cleveland State
  • 12 Texas Tech
  • 11 West Virginia
  • 10 LaSalle

Reaction Score
Well, if she does, who doesn't? I know Briana Roberson is a walk-on, but that still leaves 16 others. At least one must be a walk-on.

(As an aside, I tried signing up atthe Cardboard, but got rejected, with a message to contact the admin, and no hint as to how to do so. Anyone know?)

Their 5th-year senior (Ruef?) was going to have pay her own way I believe. But I think she was going to get Kokenis' scholarship.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Ruef is not on scholarship for her 5th year, or at least that was the plan at one time per this memorable thread: http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/stanford-we-dont-have-room-for-you.36660/

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ruef started 29 games last year, so unless she has lost her starting role, she'll be a starter. Has there ever been a starter not on scholarship? Seems odd.

Good question.

I'm assuming Kokenis will remain on scholarship for her senior year. Reports are Beebe will sit out again this year (knee) but I've not heard she's giving up basketball so she likely hopes to play next year (her junior year).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And Duke - they are at maximum which surprised me.

Actually we have 14 on scholarship and one walk-on, but you do raise some excellent points. Hopefully the back end of our roster will be patient this season, as there will be plenty of playing time available for them next season.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The one year that RU had 15 - the comment one of the assistants made, referencing that year and also one year when she was a player - was "15 college girls"; i.e. never mind the playing time and practice difficulties (which she acknowledged) but you also have an over-abundance of varied personalities and difficulties providing applicable TLC, etc. She made a comment on the order of "have you ever ... with 15 female college students?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom