Alternating Possession | The Boneyard

Alternating Possession

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does the team that loses the tip in the first half always get the ball to start the second half? I just rewatched the championship game and it seemed to me that UConn should have had the ball the second half. I only noticed one tie up in the first half with Kiah shortly after she got in the game when trying for an offensive rebound, and then Notre Dame got the ball. I didn't notice any other tie-up, so I would have thought that UConn would have had the ball to start the second half, but they had Notre Dame have it first.

Reaction Score
This is what I found:

"In the NCAA, the first possession of the second half goes to whoever has the possession arrow (rule 6-1.2 [pdf link]), not necessarily whoever lost the opening tip. If the opening tip goes out of bounds, the first possession (by whoever did not touch it last) establishes the alternating possession, and after that it works normally."

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
NCAA Woman's Rules:

Art. 6. Before the start of the second half, the direction of the possession arrow
shall be changed to account for the teams switching ends of the court. The second
half shall start with the team that controlled the alternating-possession arrow at the end of the first half given disposal of the ball at the division line opposite the scorer’s table.

9:41 was a tie-up... ball to ND. Haven't found another so far. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Found the second one... tie up when Stewie twisted her ankle. Posession UC, arrow switches to ND.
8:04

Reaction Score
I don't like the alternating possession rule! If they can't do a fair jump ball, I would think they could have a device at the scorer's table that would randomly select a team when a button is pushed. I think the team that forces a "jump ball" should always have a chance for possession.

Reaction Score
Found the second one... tie up when Stewie twisted her ankle. Posession UC, arrow switches to ND.
8:04
Thanks, I didn't notice that as I was concentrating on what happened to Stewie.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't like the alternating possession rule! If they can't do a fair jump ball, I would think they could have a device at the scorer's table that would randomly select a team when a button is pushed. I think the team that forces a "jump ball" should always have a chance for possession.
I dislike the alternating possession also and the reset of the shot clock for kicked ball. Both things penalize good defense IMO. A defensive player has to work hard to get a tie up. My suggestion is to reward the defense in both instances because technically the offfensive player has to do something wrong to get themselves into those situation. Tie ups go to the defensive team, kicked ball is dead but what ever is left on the shot clock play from there. Referees are so awful at the jump ball 1 per game is enough for me.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I like a jump ball replacing alternating possessions in the last 2 minutes of the game...

Didn't they change the kicked ball reset a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom