PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Alterique is a much better fit and player than Sterling - He'll want to demand the ball right away, he's a scorer. Plus Gilbert's a 3-4 year guy. I don't know where Zion got that Gibbs rumor, but I'm hearing the opposite.

Temple Gibbs might have smoke.

Reaction Score
Alterique is a much better fit and player than Sterling - He'll want to demand the ball right away, he's a scorer. Plus Gilbert's a 3-4 year guy. I don't know where Zion got that Gibbs rumor, but I'm hearing the opposite.

Well Sterling and Gilbert would never play together, so it wouldn't really matter who the better fit is.

Reaction Score

Sterling comes here, it's for next year. He wouldn't sit out.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

I think it's a pretty big assumption to say Gilbert, who won't even be a freshman for a year and a half, is better than a guy who averaged 16 PTS and 3 AST while shooting 43% from the floor and 3. Plus they don't even overlap in years on the team, so I don't get why you're comparing Sterling Gibbs with Alterique. They're unrelated pursuits.

Reaction Score

Not sure why Gibbs being a scorer would be viewed as anything but a positive. Did you see our half-court offense last year?

The kid is an experienced point guard who shot 44% from 3 and has no impact on our recruitment of 2016 point guards. He pretty much checks the box on every single thing our backcourt is currently lacking for next year.

Reaction Score
P

Plus for next year this would move Tsam to the bench when we go small ball.

SG
JA
RP
DH
AB

Like that lineup!

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Not sure why Gibbs being a scorer would be viewed as anything but a positive. Did you see our half-court offense last year?

The kid is an experienced point guard who shot 44% from 3 and has no impact on our recruitment of 2016 point guards. He pretty much checks the box on every single thing our backcourt is currently lacking for next year.
I said fit-wise. Of course the kid can ball. Remember this is Purvis's and DHam's team next year, they'll be expecting to take the most shots.
I think it's a pretty big assumption to say Gilbert, who won't even be a freshman for a year and a half, is better than a guy who averaged 16 PTS and 3 AST while shooting 43% from the floor and 3. Plus they don't even overlap in years on the team, so I don't get why you're comparing Sterling Gibbs with Alterique. They're unrelated pursuits.
May have misspoken, but he's a better fit.
Sterling comes here, it's for next year. He wouldn't sit out.
Yep meaning he would never play with Temple. It would help in recruiting Temple though.

Reaction Score
I said fit-wise. Of course the kid can ball. Remember this is Purvis's and DHam's team next year, they'll be expecting to take the most shots.

If we turn away Gibbs, a really talented player who fills an obvious need, because having him here might hurt Hamilton's or Purvis' feelings, then we need to reevaluate how the program is being run.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Plenty of more shots to be taken if we have an offense that is anywhere near efficient. A lineup of Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, Brimah, 6: Adams should be one of the higher scoring teams among the high major conferences.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Wow, the Gibbs brothers would be a perfect short-term and long term fix for our PG/2 guard and ball-handling needs. Plus, throw in Gilbert into the fold. And we shored up the front court for '15 with Miller. Crazy how things can turn around so quickly.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I feel like KO went to see Gilbert again just to clear up any rumors of him to OKC.

Reaction Score
If we manage to add Gibbs, we would have a really talented roster. If that team could learn to lock down on defense, we could be a top team next year.

We had a down year this season, but I'm bullish on the talents of Hamilton, Purvis, and Brimah. And then we add in impact guys like Jalen Adams, Shonn Miller, and Gibbs. If there's any real smoke to us adding Gibbs, I really hope it comes to fruition. That would give us a fairly complete roster with few holes.

Reaction Score

If those guys are that concerned about how many shots they are expecting, then they should expect to be back in the NIT while they are at it. Ollie isn't going to pass up an opportunity to significantly upgrade the roster because it might mean 2-3 fewer shots per game for a couple of guys who didn't shoot a very high percentage last year.

To be clear, I'm talking about "fit" too. What are the current concerns with the backcourt now that Boatright is gone? In my mind they are 1) we don't have a knock-down shooter; 2) we have a very limited number of guys who can be trusted to play point guard for long stretches; and 3) we're putting an awful lot of eggs into a freshman point guard's basket. Mr. Gibbs alleviates all three of those concerns in one shot.

Reaction Score
Yep meaning he would never play with Temple. It would help in recruiting Temple though.
Not sure what you mean, unless you got the names mixed up in your OP. I wasn't referring to Temple. You said "Alterique is a much better fit and player than Sterling - He'll want to demand the ball right away, he's a scorer. Plus Gilbert's a 3-4 year guy." Sterling would be considered a 5th year transfer, eligible right away for 2015. If he were to choose UConn, it would have no impact on Alterique Gilbert, a 2016 recruit.

Reaction Score

May have misspoken, but he's a better fit.

You seem very confused, if Sterling Gibbs comes to UConn it's nothing but amazing news.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean, unless you got the names mixed up in your OP. I wasn't referring to Temple. You said "Alterique is a much better fit and player than Sterling - He'll want to demand the ball right away, he's a scorer. Plus Gilbert's a 3-4 year guy." Sterling would be considered a 5th year transfer, eligible right away for 2015. If he were to choose UConn, it would have no impact on Alterique Gilbert, a 2016 recruit.
Wow hey I need a coffee. Thanks tcf for the clarification.

Reaction Score
Sterling can come to uconn and really boost the bench. Lions share of minutes at the 1 are still jalens though. Exactly what we need however , a talented guard off the bench... 3rd college team maybe he will be ok filling a role.

Gilbert AND temple gibbs sounds redundant, but who knows Adams has 1&done potential and '16 is Samuels last season

Reaction Score
Sterling can come to uconn and really boost the bench. Lions share of minutes at the 1 are still jalens though. Exactly what we need however , a talented guard off the bench... 3rd college team maybe he will be ok filling a role.

Gilbert AND temple gibbs sounds redundant, but who knows Adams has 1&done potential and '16 is Samuels last season

If Gibbs comes here, it's as a starter. He was one of the best guards in the Big East last year.

Reaction Score
If Gibbs comes here, it's as a starter. He was one of the best guards in the Big East last year.
Yeah Gibbs will start if he comes here. Second team all big east two years in a row. That would make Adams transition to college bball so much easier for him and really add depth to our team. To say Sterling Gibbs would be a huge addition would be an understatement. Hes really, really good.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If Sterling Gibbs comes to UConn, we will have some real competition going on. I would not say that next year's Huskies are DH and RP's team. Neither has shown the maturity, consistency, or leadership to warrant that label at this point. If we have SG and SM come in as experienced upper classmen, then I would hope that they would be ready to be leaders. Daniel and Rodney could also take on leadership roles. The PG tends to be "The" leader of the team and it would seem that Sterling would be the favorite to be the starter. Who knows who would end up being the starting 5, but what matters is that we would suddenly have a huge improvement in talent, depth, and experience.

Reaction Score
so if we had signed briscoe or newman over adams, would gibbs come here and start over them? because I think adams is pretty much equal to the former.

Reaction Score
so if we had signed briscoe or newman over adams, would gibbs come here and start over them? because I think adams is pretty much equal to the former.

You're entitled to think as highly of Adams as you'd like, but you need to recognize that your opinion is not widely held; no independent scouting service that I've seen has Adams ranked as highly as Briscoe. Briscoe is also particularly known for his physical and mental maturity, ideal for a freshman coming in.

I'm very high on Adams, but Gibbs was top-5 in the BE in scoring and assists, and was an elite shooter. He would not come here as a bench player. If he's coming to UConn, it's to start. Adams will still get plenty of burn. He'd be the third guard in the rotation, and given how much we go three guards, he'd probably play around 25mpg still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom