PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 25 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I literally can not think of an NBA player from Louisville, nevermind a PG. Georgui dieng? Has anyone reminded Gilbert of that? Our last 5 starting point gaurds have been drafted to the NBA (pending Boat). Each one improved as players and people. I don't know what else you need to know. Not only that, but you could argue players like Terrence Williams and Earl Clark were not ready for NBA basketball once they left Lville....which is apparent from their play and careers.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what you think of UL players - it matters what Gilbert thinks. For those of you who work in sales: the customer is always right, no?

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what you think of UL players - it matters what Gilbert thinks. For those of you who work in sales: the customer is always right, no?
No coach in the country knows or even should know how to get PG's into the league like KO does. We all know his story. And let's face it, this kid is probably alot more talented than KO was at this time. If KO can last in the league for a decade+, Gilbert will have every opportunity to do so, especially with Ollie's tutelage.

Reaction Score
This doesn't sound like a kid who is a UConn lean but just wants to go through the process of taking other visits. It sounds like a kid who wants to put a Louisville jersey on.

There's only so much KO can do when competing against coaches in big hoops conferences. Hopefully he comes here but I'm not holding my breath.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is no way our staff is inept enough to let our #1 target feel unappreciated.

I would stop way, way short of "inept", but they can't allow themselves to be outworked and unfortunately, that tends to happen. It needs to stop, but it hasn't.

I wouldn't get too overheated on the Louisville stuff - they're not suddenly landing on the scene. I know the narrative is that UConn was in on him so early and now other schools are just rolling in, but Louisville offered him a couple of weeks after UConn did - and he still has no date to visit them. Schools like Maryland, Georgia and others offered him an entire year before UConn got around to it, so this is not a case of us getting in early on a late bloomer.

So take it all with a grain of salt - so far, so good. Syracuse tried to get him on campus before the end of May and didn't get that done. Louisville wanted him in earlier and he's not gone there yet - it's a long summer and he's going to be hounded by the Hopkins/Johnson types, but the kid does like Ollie, so we'll see.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I would stop way, way short of "inept", but they can't allow themselves to be outworked and unfortunately, that tends to happen. It needs to stop, but it hasn't.

I wouldn't get too overheated on the Louisville stuff - they're not suddenly landing on the scene. I know the narrative is that UConn was in on him so early and now other schools are just rolling in, but Louisville offered him a couple of weeks after UConn did - and he still has no date to visit them. Schools like Maryland, Georgia and others offered him an entire year before UConn got around to it, so this is not a case of us getting in early on a late bloomer.

So take it all with a grain of salt - so far, so good. Syracuse tried to get him on campus before the end of May and didn't get that done. Louisville wanted him in earlier and he's not gone there yet - it's a long summer and he's going to be hounded by the Hopkins/Johnson types, but the kid does like Ollie, so we'll see.

kevin-ollie.jpg

Reaction Score
This sounds like B.S. I don't buy it even a bit. There is no way our staff is inept enough to let our #1 target feel unappreciated. I think the fact that we have "lost steam" is due to the fact that his best offers when he visited us were Illinois and Miami, and now everyone wants a piece.

I heard this influenced Prince de-committing (distance was a joke), impacted Mack, influenced Stone, and brown (openly said the phone stopped calling). could be totally BS, (just passing on what I heard)

Since I am not 17 and not a top 100 recruit, i do not know this 1st hand!

Reaction Score
does anyone think we got him on the official visit too early? with those early visits it almost feels like if we don't nail down the commitment asap it's a lost cause (I'm being dramatic) but it's at least a disadvantage. he's generating more and more interest, going to take more and more visits and all of a sudden UConn fades into the background. Again, I don't mean this as a pessimistic post - because I do think we are still in a good spot with him. but generally speaking, the timing and strategy involved with scheduling these visits right at the peak of interest is paramount in landing commitments it seems like. perfect world kids visit and commit before getting back on the plane home - rarely happens nowadays, I know.

Reaction Score
KO is an amazing communicator who connects and inspires almost everyone he interacts with. In recruiting, by design, we only hear one side of the story, usually second or third hand. We are not allowed to hear KO's side of it. If he isn't calling a recruit enough, my guess is there is reason behind it. Whether we land Gilbert or not, whether KO calls enough or not, I really can care less. We have one of the brightest young coaches in the game who has an even brighter future. As long as we have that, as long as we have him, UConn is going to be alright.

Reaction Score
I heard this influenced Prince de-committing (distance was a joke), impacted Mack, influenced Stone, and brown (openly said the phone stopped calling). could be totally BS, (just passing on what I heard)

I tend to believe it since we heard it from Abu too (and I dont discount it, except for the Brown situation) but the reason there is so much push back when people state this is that the whole thing just sounds confounding. If I calld a player once a week, I imagine I'd be more effective in communicating what I can offer them than the guy who calls/texts once a day or every two days. But what do I know? If these kids are really more interested in # of calls than in the actual core of the message, then the more calls will impress them. The message, however, is better delivered with a modicum of dignity.

Reaction Score
I tend to believe it since we heard it from Abu too (and I dont discount it, except for the Brown situation) but the reason there is so much push back when people state this is that the whole thing just sounds confounding. If I calld a player once a week, I imagine I'd be more effective in communicating what I can offer them than the guy who calls/texts once a day or every two days. But what do I know? If these kids are really more interested in # of calls than in the actual core of the message, then the more calls will impress them. The message, however, is better delivered with a modicum of dignity.

You are thinking like a 40 year old and not a 17 year old. Ville staff is calling daily on some of these kids.

Reaction Score

Sounds like more nonsense and BS to me. They didn't get Mack for the same reason they didn't get Larrier and UNC and Georgetown didn't get Kenny Williams the first time around, Shaka got out on them dudes way earlier than bigger programs did. As for Ali, he just told Borges a few weeks ago he felt he committed soon and didn't go thru the entire recruiting process after he started to show out on the EYBL circuit. Guys do this all the time once they starting generating more interest, but now since it is a UConn recruit its a case of our staff being inept and dropping the ball. As for Stone, you would have to be blind to ignore the optics with that one with the school he committed to and the brands involved. With Brown I don't quite understand why they valued him more in 2015 and not 2016 but its clear they stopped calling by choice and its not a case of them getting beat to the punch by other programs.

Reaction Score
Sounds like more nonsense and BS to me. They didn't get Mack for the same reason they didn't get Larrier and UNC and Georgetown didn't get Kenny Williams the first time around, Shaka got out on them dudes way earlier than bigger programs did. As for Ali, he just told Borges a few weeks ago he felt he committed soon and didn't go thru the entire recruiting process after he started to show out on the EYBL circuit. Guys do this all the time once they starting generating more interest, but now since it is a UConn recruit its a case of our staff being inept and dropping the ball. As for Stone, you would have to be blind to ignore the optics with that one with the school he committed to and the brands involved. With Brown I don't quite understand why they valued him more in 2015 and not 2016 but its clear they stopped calling by choice and its not a case of them getting beat to the punch by other programs.

You are probably correct on all of your points. Just passing on what I heard...as always take with a grain of salt

Reaction Score
does anyone think we got him on the official visit too early? with those early visits it almost feels like if we don't nail down the commitment asap it's a lost cause (I'm being dramatic) but it's at least a disadvantage. he's generating more and more interest, going to take more and more visits and all of a sudden UConn fades into the background. Again, I don't mean this as a pessimistic post - because I do think we are still in a good spot with him. but generally speaking, the timing and strategy involved with scheduling these visits right at the peak of interest is paramount in landing commitments it seems like. perfect world kids visit and commit before getting back on the plane home - rarely happens nowadays, I know.

It's not unheard of for a kid to commit in April and there were people here who thought he was close to committing during his visit. If he had pulled the trigger, then we'd be calling Ollie a genius for wrapping this up early.

If a kid from Georgia that we really want is willing and able to visit campus, you get him on campus. What kind of message would it send if we told him to hold off?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Depends on the kid. We want kids who value the merits of playing, especially pg, for a guy like KO. If someone values texts over that, so be it. Let him go elsewhere.

There are two things that bother me in sports. First, pro athletes who file for bankruptcy. Second, and more importantly, kids who make misguided decisions. The second happens way to often that many times defines their life and opportunities going forward.

Reaction Score
Depends on the kid. We want kids who value the merits of playing, especially pg, for a guy like KO. If someone values texts over that, so be it. Let him go elsewhere.

I get your point but the staff needs to make the kids feel valued and wanted as well. That includes texting and being in constant contact. Just how it is. If one school is talking to you constantly and another every now and again, you are probably going to the school that is keeping constant contact.

Reaction Score
We need Jeremy Lamb, Georgia native, to give this kid a call and set him straight. ;)

Reaction Score
Not even close, not any more. Many customers are rude, loud, try to intimidate or humiliate sales personel if they think it will get them something that they are not entitled to , and oh yes an overinflated sense of their importance and what must be done to soothe their overinflated egos! I guess as you can tell I've been in retail a long long time. I recently had a woman try to return an item purchased 4yrs yes 4yrs ago that had a 1 yr warranty and a 30 day refund policy stamped on the receipt when she was told no( we actually disconected the item from her car at no charge untill she decides if she wants to replace the item). She proceeded to bad mouth us on Google review. Granted we live in "home of the stupid" southwest FL. but still!!!LOL

Reaction Score
I get your point but the staff needs to make the kids feel valued and wanted as well. That includes texting and being in constant contact. Just how it is. If one school is talking to you constantly and another every now and again, you are probably going to the school that is keeping constant contact.
Did Daniel Hamilton feel wanted? Did Jalen Adams feel wanted? There are a ton of similarities in what type of recruit both were. Both didn't require the "nursing" of handlers, both have two, involved, supportive parents, both appreciated the family aspect of the UConn program, both appreciated that they would have to earn time, both knew that they would leave UConn a better person and basketball player. Not all recruits are the same. I am certain that KO makes the players he values feel wanted. The rest, the stories, the quotes from third party's is all hearsay.

Reaction Score
He is an animal and i think he's better than Jalen Fisher. Alterique can attack the basket and and he's very quick. I think we should go harder at Gilbert than Fisher.

Reaction Score
I don't get the logic. If we didn't express our wish to get AG on our team as strongly, we would be better of how? Gilbert would be more likely to choose UConn? No. Or are you just concerned about our feeling disappointed?

Don't worry. I can handle disappointment. And I really, really. hope he comes here.

Yeah, I really hope he comes here too. The only point I was making is there is a difference from saying "I think he's a lock to come here" and being cautiously optimistic. In both cases, one would really hope he comes here. I do care about my disappointment, and I'm not going to spin my brain into a frenzy worrying about it - just hope for the best. As a fan, it's easier to do that since what I think (and you) has no effect on how likely it is that a recruit would come to UConn or not.

I certainly don't care about you, your disappointment or how you feel. Don't worry.

Reaction Score
Kenny Johnson is a name we will hear a lot and one which will put the occasional hurt on us. Good news is he ca't get them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom