PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Why hasn't he said that yet?

I mean...I'm nervous that he's leaving, too, but he literally posted a statement this morning saying he wasn't going anywhere. He shouldn't have to respond every single time a rumor comes out about him being interested in an NBA job. Can you imagine him releasing a SECOND statement today saying he's not going anywhere?

Reaction Score
jalen adams said he waited for the louisville offer and some big offers before committing to us just for piece of mind, or something along those lines, so this could be a similar case

Reaction Score

Ranked No. 53 nationally in the 247Sports Composite, the 6-0, 170-pound Gilbert has already taken an official visit to Connecticut. Syracuse, Miami, Illinois, Georgia, Florida State, USC and Georgia Tech also have extended offers.

“He’s pretty open right now,” said White. “He has taken an official visit to UConn, but he’s open right now. He was very pleased with the offer (from Louisville), I can tell you that.”

A physically strong guard, White compared Gilbert to Chris Paul, ‘with a little more athleticism,” he said.

“He’s probably one of the better point guards in the country regardless of the rankings because he has great feel for the game, he’s a point guard that can score the ball, but he also can run a team,” White said. “He’s a fantastic student and he wins. That’s the most important part. He’s a great young man. There’s a lot of positives about Alterique and the nation is just now seeing it. When you see Rick Pitino, Kevin Ollie and Jim Boeheim, guys of that nature saying if they get him they can stop recruiting point guards that says everything.”

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
So some guy thinks Gilbert is a better version of Chris Paul and throws some useless speculation on how much he might love Louisville. Dope

Reaction Score
His coach seems to think the kid is enthused with his Cardinal offer. That blows. But hey, long cycle can't worry about these as we know.

Guess I would just say would you rather be Russ Smith/Ceva or Kemba Walker?

Reaction Score
I shared this with a few others already....

Each passing day with Gilbert contributes to the narrative of staff being unable to close. Several instances where we were in lead, get visit, and miss. Need to halt that asap. Hoped Gilbert was the piece to end this. The 'ville offer and this article make me feel otherwise.

Reaction Score

Each passing day with Gilbert contributes to the narrative of staff being unable to close. Several instances where we were in lead, get visit, and miss. Need to halt that asap. Hoped Gilbert was the piece to end this. The 'ville offer and this article make me feel otherwise.
the kid is smart not to commit to a school in april I don't think this is a staff issue rather than timing

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I have no basis to disagree with any of that, but the only thing that seems a bit silly to me is the notion that anyone is considered to be "in the lead" until the final decision. It seems pretty meaningless to me. The only thing that matters is the close, and the crystal ball and "in the lead" stuff seems to be mostly based on who had the most recent visit.

By all accounts, Maryland was never considered to be "in the lead" for Stone...until the day he decided. We've seen this play out too many times to put any stock whatsoever in crystal ball or other "in the lead" projections.

Reaction Score
If you saw Rick Pitino's media update he mentioned wanting Ralph Willard to join his staff but Ralph told him "right now you need a lead recruiter", basically a closer and he mentioned he got Ken Johnson or a name similar.

I think it's time JC tell KO he needs a closer!

Reaction Score
the kid is smart not to commit to a school in april I don't think this is a staff issue rather than timing
At what point do we stop making these excuses?

It hasn't mattered what month it's been, what type of schools they're up against, or anything in between. This staff has reportedly been in the lead for a long list of guys, but they just can't seem to seal the deal.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If he hasn't committed yet, then he's not coming here.

Reaction Score
At what point do we stop making these excuses?

It hasn't mattered what month it's been, what type of schools they're up against, or anything in between. This staff has reportedly been in the lead for a long list of guys, but they just can't seem to seal the deal.

Who have they been "in the lead" with? Stone? Are we counting Gilbert?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If he hasn't committed yet, then he's not coming here.

You seem really certain.

Also when was closing and getting juniors to commit a thing? Gilbert's said that he's in no hurry to make a decision. Soon people will be freaking about about KO being unable to secure the top middle school players.

Reaction Score
this is the article that tcf posted early in the thread about a week or 2 before his visit, this doesn't sound like a kid that was ready to commit.

Team CP3 has jumped out of the gate to a roaring start in EYBL play, winning all three games through the first two days of play. The squad features superstar Harry Giles — who has drawn massive crowds in each game — but the club’s leading scorer actually has been guard Alterique Gilbert.

Coaches have flocked to CP3’s outings here in Hampton, and not only for Giles. Gilbert has drawn offers from Connecticut, Illinois, Miami, Florida, Texas A&M, Mississippi, Wake Forest, Georgia, Georgia Tech and others, and he recently told colleague Evan Daniels that the Huskies, Illini and Hurricanes stand out.

Still, he’s in no hurry to make a decision and would like to expand his interest. He also feels no pressure or desire to necessarily spend his college years within the South.

”I want a school that has a winning program, a great coaching staff and a team that likes to learn,” he said. “I don’t have a preference on distance from home.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
reportedly been in the lead
That's the problem right there. By whose "report"? We really have no idea until they decide, and the rest of the bs just sets up improperly inflated expectations.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of 2016 kids already committed.
Im not saying kids don't commit early, what I was saying is from a recruit's perspective its smarter to wait out the recruitment process and see how things unfold, high school coaches advise kids to not commit all the time and to wait and see what happens and get more offers (like Gilbert)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom