Allow Adams to lead | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Allow Adams to lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly. Do we make the FF in '09 with Kemba starting and AJP coming off the bench? Most likely not close.
All circumstances are different. It took a very good UNC team to beat a freshman lead UCONN team out of the final four in 98. A freshman lead 96 team really should have made the final four, but Ricky got injured.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You guys are nuts. Adams is in no way ready to lead this team and to be honest I'm already a bit tired of the floater in the lane. He had a good half in what was a blow out at the time. Let him earn it before pulling levers just for the sake of it.

The next thing you'll want is Moore in for Ollie.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why Adams leading is so crazy? Khalid did it. Ricky Moore did it late in his Freshman year. Defensively alone he's going to get equal or almost equal time with Gibbs.

Reaction Score
This team relies on 3s and lobs which is not going to win them many games. We have no post player whi can dominate down low to cause double teams and have our players take open 3s. Gibbs is doing fine running our offense. He had a bad game and some of you wanna put in a freshman who turns the ball over a bit to much, try to go to fast at times, and seems a little confused. But he did play very well today but Gibbs and Adams isn't our problem. Brimah Nolen and Facey need to give us some scoring in the post

Reaction Score
the freshman has played well multiple times. defensively hes consistently played well...certainly as good as our other perimeter defenders

Reaction Score
NDakotaHusky said:
Sorta off topic, but Gibbs was a mess at the end of that game. I don't blame him. Things did not go well for him today. I'm not upset or anything, but he got rejected by a lumbering center on a step back. That really shouldn't happen.

In fairness, we were down 3 so the lumbering center didn't have to pay any attention to the threat of the dribble drive. The step back works when you get the defender retreating. He didn't have to retreat.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Do we make the FF in '09 with Kemba starting and AJP coming off the bench? Most likely not close.

I wouldn't compare Gibbs to AJP.

If Gibbs defensive effort doesn't improve, he is going to see less minutes. Period. And as I said, I'm all for Adams getting more minutes, and I don't particularly care who loses them. BUT, I also do think Gibbs is an important aspect of our team. His shooting and experience is something definitely needed..so long as he's doing his job. So long as he does that, I would actually think it's better for the team to start Gibbs and Adams and have Rodney as a spark off the bench. Given the type of player they all are.

I also think this team is a year away from a championship. It's not that it couldn't happen this season, but I'd expect them all to be ready next season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Purvis is best perimeter defender by far.
Jalen is next but a significant step below Rodney.
Gibbs and DHam are a small step below Jalen. SamIII has looked decent this year but still below these two. And then there is Omar.

I must have seen a different game than the posters who claimed Gibbs and Purvis were only chucking 3's. I saw Gibbs drive to the basket five times for easy lay ups. Problem was he only made one. Rodney also drove to the basket several times and although he didn't complete his shot he, along with Miller, was the primary reason for Gonzaga's foul problems.

This was a really bad shooting game for Gibbs. But he is a better shooter than Adams at this stage and the difference in d is not enough to make up for the differential on offense.

The big problem with defense in the first half was the four and five could not defend Gonzagas four and five forcing the UConn guards to leave their players.
This was corrected in the second half.

Gibbs was pulled because of his poor shooting and not because of his d or play on offense. And fortunately for UConn Jalen had one of his better games otherwise this game would have ended ugly.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I have zero issue with anyone saying they think Adams will be the starter, or even Enoch for that matter, because I know some were saying that earlier, but can we wait for more than one good performance out of them before we anoint them? I wouldn't be shocked if our best five in March is Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, and Enoch, but there's a long way to go before then and Gibbs and Brimah deserve the benefit of the doubt until the kids show they're ready.

H

huskymagic

Fleud Rodney isn't a better defender than Adams despite being bigger and more experienced. That's not a knock on him but overall court awareness and understanding on defense, Adams is miles ahead of every single perimeter player we have. The problem yesterday and against the Orange were our perimeter defense was terrible, and our execution on offense was sloppy and non-existent.

Brimah did a nice job on Karnowski and absolutely not the reason we lost. Without Brimah defending the post this team would have gotten blown out easily by both Cuse and Gonzaga. Let's chill with the Brimah hysteria. He is one of the best big men in America and a nasty shot blocker. Miller, Facey, and Enoch are also capable of playing good minutes. Our guards and their perimeter defense and turning the ball over are the reason we lost these games.

Adams is the key to our success. He needs to be allowed to make plays in half-court sets and lead the offense. Gibbs is not that guy. He is a nice shooter and scorer when set, but not a play-maker like we need at point. He needs to shoot well and man up on defense. That's what Gibbs role should be.

Reaction Score
Boy this board is schezophrenic. Not just about this thread either. When we beat Maryland the tone of the BY will change again.

Now my opinion before yesterday was that Adams has a lot of potential but he wasnt quite as ready as I had expected. But he stepped up in a big way and showed with extended minutes he can be a game changer. Gibbs has played pretty well for us except for yesterday. I still think he should start. Jalen will play more minutes at the expense of Omar and Sam, and a few less minutes from SG and RP. If we are to be in the discussion for a deep run Adams is going to have to play a big part. Coach Ollie needs to find more minutes for Enoch also. A confident Steve will make this team very tough to beat.

Reaction Score
Fleud Rodney isn't a better defender than Adams despite being bigger and more experienced. That's not a knock on him but overall court awareness and understanding on defense, Adams is miles ahead of every single perimeter player we have. The problem yesterday and against the Orange were our perimeter defense was terrible, and our execution on offense was sloppy and non-existent.

Brimah did a nice job on Karnowski and absolutely not the reason we lost. Without Brimah defending the post this team would have gotten blown out easily by both Cuse and Gonzaga. Let's chill with the Brimah hysteria. He is one of the best big men in America and a nasty shot blocker. Miller, Facey, and Enoch are also capable of playing good minutes. Our guards and their perimeter defense and turning the ball over are the reason we lost these games.

Adams is the key to our success. He needs to be allowed to make plays in half-court sets and lead the offense. Gibbs is not that guy. He is a nice shooter and scorer when set, but not a play-maker like we need at point. He needs to shoot well and man up on defense. That's what Gibbs role should be.

Not sure how Brimah and Kanowski got into this one about Adams but you should just copy and past at this point you don't bring anything else to the table.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I also think this team is a year away from a championship. It's not that it couldn't happen this season, but I'd expect them all to be ready next season.

Dunno. It's either this year, or 2017 imo. Miller, Gibbs, Purvis (pro somewhere), and likely Hamilton are all gone. And we are coming in with a very good freshman class, which does not include an Anthony Davis. Will take them a year imo.

This year, we've got the experience and the talent. The only question is whether they put it together.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize Doron Sheffer was a freshman. Huh.
Funny post, but as I'm sure you remember Ricky was providing much of the pg speed on offense by the end of the year. More importantly, Ricky was guarding anyone with speed. We got killed by a speedy Mississippi State guard. If Ricky plays we probably win that game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny post, but as I'm sure you remember Ricky was providing much of the pg speed on offense by the end of the year. More importantly, Ricky was guarding anyone with speed. We got killed by a speedy Mississippi State guard. If Ricky plays we probably win that game.
Sorry, that was nowhere near a "freshman-led team."

Sheffer averaged 16 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg, and 2 spg, and was second team All Big East.

Moore averaged 5 ppg, 3 apg, and far fewer minutes. He was a good bench player, but didn't lead the team. Nor was he on par, say, with 2009 Kemba Walker.

As for the MSU game, their guards caught fire--one of them hit seven 3s--and Allen stunk. Moore would have helped, sure, but so would any solid defensive role-player.

Reaction Score
Sorry, that was nowhere near a "freshman-led team."

Sheffer averaged 16 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg, and 2 spg, and was second team All Big East.

Moore averaged 5 ppg, 3 apg, and far fewer minutes. He was a good bench player, but didn't lead the team. Nor was he on par, say, with 2009 Kemba Walker.

As for the MSU game, their guards caught fire--one of them hit seven 3s--and Allen stunk. Moore would have helped, sure, but so would any solid defensive role-player.
Good post. I know we would not have won the Georgetown game without him Ricky and i contend we would have won the MSU game with him. So in my mind Ricky lead us to victory in our most memorable moment of the year and would have lead us to victory against Mississippi State.

Actually, what Ricky did against Georgetown and what Adams did against Gonzaga were sorta similar...that statement is sorta off topic...just saying

Reaction Score
Good post. I know we would not have won the Georgetown game without him Ricky and i contend we would have won the MSU game with him. So in my mind Ricky lead us to victory in our most memorable moment of the year and would have lead us to victory against Mississippi State.

Actually, what Ricky did against Georgetown and what Adams did against Gonzaga were sorta similar...that statement is sorta off topic...just saying

Add the Sheffer hamstring injury to Ricky's and hence the reason the Miss St guards had a career day.

Reaction Score
Add the Sheffer hamstring injury to Ricky's and hence the reason the Miss St guards had a career day.
I forgot about that. I think Rudy got tasked with guarding the guy who really lit us up, but i suspect Doron got a chance as well. I would have to rewatch the game to know for sure.

Reaction Score
Dunno. It's either this year, or 2017 imo. Miller, Gibbs, Purvis (pro somewhere), and likely Hamilton are all gone. And we are coming in with a very good freshman class, which does not include an Anthony Davis. Will take them a year imo.

This year, we've got the experience and the talent. The only question is whether they put it together.

Next year. This year our best talent is too young, IMO. (Rodney, Hamilton, Adams). It's not that we couldn't win it this year, it's just I think we're a year away from being a great team.

Reaction Score

It's quite possible they win that game with Ricky. We'll never know. I agree with you, but it's one of those great "what-ifs": if Ricky played, if Sheffer was himself...

Reaction Score
Next year. This year our best talent is too young, IMO. (Rodney, Hamilton, Adams). It's not that we couldn't win it this year, it's just I think we're a year away from being a great team.
Then I doubt we're ever going to have that team.

I think this years' team may end up being very good. I think they have Final Four level talent once they gel a little better.

But if we're waiting on Purvis and Hamilton to come back for the team to be truly great, game over, I'd say.

Reaction Score
Then I doubt we're ever going to have that team.

I think this years' team may end up being very good. I think they have Final Four level talent once they gel a little better.

But if we're waiting on Purvis and Hamilton to come back for the team to be truly great, game over, I'd say.

I think there's no way Hamilton and Purvis leave as sophomores. (Or whatever Rodney is considered.) Hamilton is going to be great, but unless he makes that huge jump this season that makes us into a championship team, he's not going anywhere. And Purvis just isn't good enough to think about leaving early.

Reaction Score
I think there's no way Hamilton and Purvis leave as sophomores. (Or whatever Rodney is considered.) Hamilton is going to be great, but unless he makes that huge jump this season that makes us into a championship team, he's not going anywhere. And Purvis just isn't good enough to think about leaving early.

Purvis is a junior transfer and will graduate this year after 4 academic years. Rumor has him moving on maybe Europe after graduation. Who knows maybe he stays to improve his stock, I agree he should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom