Allow Adams to lead | The Boneyard

Allow Adams to lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sour on Gibbs. He's a good shooter and we need him, but i think KO needs to start handing the reins over to Adams. The half court offense was pretty bad with DHam, Gibbs and Purvis running the show.

I also think a few members of the team need to accept Adams is going to be the floor leader or at least a very significant member. Personally, i think he should be leading. Dham is great, but the half court offense can definitely get stagnant with him running the offense. KO may need to help with some attitudes if they arise.

I also think Adams could be our best perimeter defender. You could make a case for Purvis, but i think Adams is better.

Reaction Score
I agree that Adams deserves more minutes. It seems like the "experts" (Rothstein, Fraschilla) feel that way as well based on their tweets during and after the game. You can see that Ollie still has a lot of faith in Gibbs as a shooter since he was going to let him take the 3 to tie it in the final seconds. Too bad it got blocked.

Reaction Score
I agree that Adams deserves more minutes. It seems like the "experts" (Rothstein, Fraschilla) feel that way as well based on their tweets during and after the game. You can see that Ollie still has a lot of faith in Gibbs as a shooter since he was going to let him take the 3 to tie it in the final seconds. Too bad it got blocked.
take a breath. Too many missed shots at the rim. Middle exploited by non mid major centers, are all correctable.

H

huskymagic

I'm not sour on Gibbs. He's a good shooter and we need him, but i think KO needs to start handing the reins over to Adams. The half court offense was pretty bad with DHam, Gibbs and Purvis running the show.

I also think a few members of the team need to accept Adams is going to be the floor leader or at least a very significant member. Personally, i think he should be leading. Dham is great, but the half court offense can definitely get stagnant with him running the offense. KO may need to help with some attitudes if they arise.

I also think Adams could be our best perimeter defender. You could make a case for Purvis, but i think Adams is better.

Dakota Husky absolutely right. Adams has star potential and has natural point guard skills, and most importantly can defend his position. Adams needs to start with Gibbs on the bench. We can't have interchangeable zeroes on defense whose idea of offense is to chuck up threes at the end of the clock. We need more dribble drive penetration, more pick and roll action, as well as off the ball movement and use of screens to get guys open.

Reaction Score
Dakota Husky absolutely right. Adams has star potential and has natural point guard skills, and most importantly can defend his position. Adams needs to start with Gibbs on the bench. We can't have interchangeable zeroes on defense whose idea of offense is to chuck up threes at the end of the clock. We need more dribble drive penetration, more pick and roll action, as well as off the ball movement and use of screens to get guys open.
Have you watched any of the UConn games this year outside of today?

Based on this post I cannot believe you have.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I think we have a Roxbury native on our hands.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Adams is playing so well is because he is coming off the bench.
Or perhaps he played 3 games in this tournament and was awful in 2 of them. I guess people missed those games.

Adams has played half the minuets Gibbs has and they average the same amount of turnovers a game. Gibbs has a much higer shooting % from 2 and 3 and was a 2nd team all BE last year.

This thread is the definition of living in the moment

H

huskymagic

Jerry I know Sterling was lighting it up against Furman, New Hampshire, and Maine where playing defense was optional as the opposing team was overmatched. That doesn't work against good teams. You cannot have two shooting guards playing together that are erratic and are not disciplined or fundamentally sound. Adams I have called for since the beginning of the year to be the starter. Sterling is a good useful spot shooter like a Cassel or Calhoun were supposed to be. He is not a point guard and does not make the players around him better like Jalen Adams does and can do. He also is unwilling and lacks the footspeed to attack the rim, and is a natural shooter.

The ultimate poetic justice was him being inserted in the last play and being blocked by Karnowski. He couldn't even put a quick move on a big oaf to get himself a better look. He should be on the bench and interchanged with Rodney as they are essentially the same player, but Rodney has the nod due to his size, speed, and ability to defend multiple positions. I like Gibbs as a shooter not as a leader or point guard running an offense. He doesn't have that in him, and isn't vocal enough.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Jerry I know Sterling was lighting it up against Furman, New Hampshire, and Maine where playing defense was optional as the opposing team was overmatched. That doesn't work against good teams. You cannot have two shooting guards playing together that are erratic and are not disciplined or fundamentally sound. Adams I have called for since the beginning of the year to be the starter. Sterling is a good useful spot shooter like a Cassel or Calhoun were supposed to be. He is not a point guard and does not make the players around him better like Jalen Adams does and can do. He also is unwilling and lacks the footspeed to attack the rim, and is a natural shooter.

The ultimate poetic justice was him being inserted in the last play and being blocked by Karnowski. He couldn't even put a quick move on a big oaf to get himself a better look. He should be on the bench and interchanged with Rodney as they are essentially the same player, but Rodney has the nod due to his size, speed, and ability to defend multiple positions. I like Gibbs as a shooter not as a leader or point guard running an offense. He doesn't have that in him, and isn't vocal enough.

Jesus H. Christ almighty. Where was Adams' spot-up shooting today? He has a great runner in the lane, but I don't think you know what a spot-up jumper is. Go buy a copy of Basketball for Dummies and find out. It's not what you think it is.

Also, for what it's worth...

Jalen Adams, 20 minutes vs. Michigan: 0-6 from the field, 0-3 from 3. 16 minutes vs. Syracuse, 0-2 from the field. One assist over those two games combined. The games you saw in your head are completely different from the games that were played in reality. Despite what you might hear on the news, the real world is a truly wonderful place. You should join us.

Reaction Score

Is Michigan good? did you watch the game? here is the box score: http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400827676

Again, clearly you watched 1 game this year. Adams was awful the last 2 games against good competition while Gibbs had a solid 5/0 Assist to turnover ratio as our PG. Is that a good ratio for a PG?

Just stop you sound foolish.

Reaction Score
Is Michigan good? did you watch the game? here is the box score: http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400827676

Again, clearly you watched 1 game this year. Adams was awful the last 2 games against good competition while Gibbs had a solid 5/0 Assist to turnover ratio as our PG. Is that a good ratio for a PG?

Just stop you sound foolish.

adams was awful defensively vs michigan? yeah right. he struggled vs cuse no doubt, but he was tasked to guard levert for many minutes vs michigan. the only games that have mattered this season are um, cuse and zaga, adams has played equal or better than gibbs in two of those imo. Gibbs shouldn't lose his starting spot but he needs more minutes OFF BALL and he also needs to work on chasing guys over screens.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Why is it that a lot of people who are reading bad stats on Adams may look a bit foolish in the short run? Adams' floater is already better than any shot in the UConn arsenal other than Brimah's uncontested dunk. What people are not taking into account is that Purvis and Gibbs are not jelling to this point. Sometimes, you have to play with the chemistry of the starting unit. It is how the five starters play together, not always the five best players. .

Reaction Score
Jesus H. Christ almighty. Where was Adams' spot-up shooting today? He has a great runner in the lane, but I don't think you know what a spot-up jumper is. Go buy a copy of Basketball for Dummies and find out. It's not what you think it is.

Also, for what it's worth...

Jalen Adams, 20 minutes vs. Michigan: 0-6 from the field, 0-3 from 3. 16 minutes vs. Syracuse, 0-2 from the field. One assist over those two games combined. The games you saw in your head are completely different from the games that were played in reality. Despite what you might hear on the news, the real world is a truly wonderful place. You should join us.

You could have easily made your point without being such an . For you to be such an angry d*** at this young age is just so sad. You need to stop living your life through the boneyard and experience life in the "real world."

Also for what its worth... he said Gibbs has a good spot-up jumper not Adams...maybe you should stop calling other people dummies.

Reaction Score
It is how the five starters play together, not always the five best players. .
This is brilliant. Love Gibbs being a husky, but you've gotta play for April. Adams needs more minutes. The lineup with Adams in the second half was the one that made the run to bring us back from deep. Adams was key. Gotta suffer through some freshman errors if you want him at his best late.

Reaction Score
adams was awful defensively vs michigan? yeah right. he struggled vs cuse no doubt, but he was tasked to guard levert for many minutes vs michigan. the only games that have mattered this season are um, cuse and zaga, adams has played equal or better than gibbs in two of those imo. Gibbs shouldn't lose his starting spot but he needs more minutes OFF BALL and he also needs to work on chasing guys over screens.
I never said he was awful defensively, he was a disaster on the offensive end. When Lavert was in the game he did anything he wanted so your example is a pretty bad one. And under no rationale did Adams outplay Gibbs against UM, none.

I do agree though moving Gibbs off the ball more to get Adams more time.

Reaction Score
I do think the offense flows a lot better with Adams as he is able to drive and dish...but I think Gibbs is essential to this team....not high on D ham defense or brimahs ability to dominate the paint...his rebounding is all done with his arms and height he uses none of his body to box out...

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You could have easily made your point without being such an . For you to be such an angry d*** at this young age is just so sad. You need to stop living your life through the boneyard and experience life in the "real world."

Also for what its worth... he said Gibbs has a good spot-up jumper not Adams...maybe you should stop calling other people dummies.

I experience life plenty in the real world. I'm involved with numerous groups and causes and have a reputation as a strong student and a model employee. The people close to me in life value my presence, and vice versa. Point taken - I'm angrier here than I should be on a sports message board. You're right, I could've made the same point with less inflammatory language. I shouldn't take out aggression and stress on people here. This is something I have to keep in mind going forward. But you don't know me offline, so your advice on how I should be living my life is fairly irrelevant to me. Have a good night and go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I experience life plenty in the real world. I'm involved with numerous groups and causes and have a reputation as a strong student and a model employee. The people close to me in life value my presence, and vice versa. Point taken - I'm angrier here than I should be on a sports message board. You're right, I could've made the same point with less inflammatory language. I shouldn't take out aggression and stress on people here. This is something I have to keep in mind going forward. But you don't know me offline, so your advice on how I should be living my life is fairly irrelevant to me. Have a good night and go Huskies.

No worries husky magic is a dummy and an idiot and I'm not even mad anymore. You didn't ruin anything about your reputation you're a good dude who can see through the crap some sling on the board. All good, fight on!

H

huskymagic

No worries husky magic is a dummy and an idiot and I'm not even mad anymore. You didn't ruin anything about your reputation you're a good dude who can see through the crap some sling on the board. All good, fight on!

Mauconn its touching you have Stairmaster's back to reassure him :rolleyes:. I love the fact how much some of you tout experience as if that trumps talent and overall impact. Experience is only as great as the person wielding it. No one says that Kentucky or Duke or any top program that a more talented freshman should sit to a more experienced player. Kevin Ollie needs to start utilizing some of Jim Calhoun's tactics including have a shorter leash on erratic guard play. Time will tell all as usual.

Reaction Score
I dont care too much about Adams stats. Without a doubt he has the most potential as a pg. He's a 2 way guy. He also seems to have a positive attitude. And there's very little doubt in my mind he and Gibbs will be splitting more time as the season moves forward.

I also noticed a little bit of tension between Adams and Miller. Nothing really major, but i noticed it twice. I can't really remember the circumstance. I think Miller fouled someone. Adams gave some kind of advice and Miller subtley snapped back at Adams. The second time it happened Adams rolled his eyes. Did anyone else notice? I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this. I don't think it was a big deal. But if Adams is going to become a team leader the team will need to accept and allow it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Mauconn its touching you have Stairmaster's back to reassure him :rolleyes:. I love the fact how much some of you tout experience as if that trumps talent and overall impact. Experience is only as great as the person wielding it. No one says that Kentucky or Duke or any top program that a more talented freshman should sit to a more experienced player. Kevin Ollie needs to start utilizing some of Jim Calhoun's tactics including have a shorter leash on erratic guard play. Time will tell all as usual.
Stupid just plain stupid opening sentence. Stair doesn't need Mau looking after him or vice versa.
I think in the end KO may be looking at teaming JA as the 1 and SG as the 2 when JA plays
When RP is in there, SG can be the 1.
SG and JA both have their strengths and weaknesses, its up to KO to find the correct working combos. And yes, sometimes experience does trump raw talent - IN ALL SPORTS

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
sometimes experience does trump raw talent - IN ALL SPORTS

Exactly. Do we make the FF in '09 with Kemba starting and AJP coming off the bench? Most likely not close.

Reaction Score
Sorta off topic, but Gibbs was a mess at the end of that game. I don't blame him. Things did not go well for him today. I'm not upset or anything, but he got rejected by a lumbering center on a step back. That really shouldn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom