All Hail Derek Jeter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All Hail Derek Jeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've watched it many, many (many) times. He's safe. But whatcha gonna do?
Too bad they didn't use replay back then I guess. From one angle (the last view on the clip I posted) he appears to be safe. From all the other angles I've seen in slow mo it appears to me (albeit through my Yankee blue glasses) that Posada's glove got him on the back of the leg before his foot came down. With conflicting video evidence they should leave the call as the ump called it. But we'll never know.

Either way, it WAS a good play, no?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Too bad they didn't use replay back then I guess. From one angle (the last view on the clip I posted) he appears to be safe. From all the other angles I've seen in slow mo it appears to me (albeit through my Yankee blue glasses) that Posada's glove got him on the back of the leg before his foot came down. With conflicting video evidence they should leave the call as the ump called it. But we'll never know.

It was a nice flip. Wouldn't necessarily say good play overall because they missed 2 cut off guys. ;)

Reaction Score
Keith Olbermann weighs in.....

Anyone who has had the pleasure of laughing at the ignorant rants of Keith Olbermann over his miniscule (compared to say, Derek Jeter) career, is fully aware of his legendary stupidity.

What's always welcome is, having him constantly reinforce this historical accuracy with yet another example of his limited intellect.

Reaction Score
Last one in my ongoing attempt to discredit defensive war. Does anyone really believe that Gerado Parra had a much better defensive year in the outfield in 2013 than Willie Mays ever had ? (4.0 for Parra to 2.1 for Mays)

Reaction Score

The baseball acumen displayed by Derek Jeter on that particular play is off the charts.

There is no blind "metric" for that level of instinct and anyone who ever stepped between the lines knows it.

Reaction Score
[ Keith Olbermann weighs in.....]

Very nice sendoff! Yes, Jeter was the worst player who ever played - that's why he played in 13 all-star games. Very classy, nice way to show your re2spect, Kieth. You're a scumbag.

His 20-year lifetime batting average of .309 and playoff batting average of .308 are HOF worthy, but mainly Jeets was CLUTCH.

Here's the "flip" to get Jeremy Giambi out and save game 3 of the 2001 ALDS...

http://m.mlb.com/video/v3134880/nyyoak-gm-3-jeter-cuts-down-runner-with-iconic-flip
Yes, Olbermann is an for saying it (mainly due to the timing), however you've totally intentionally, I can only assume, misrepresented what he said. In fact you really aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of what he said. That all being said, I can't say Olbermann is wrong. You can argue top 10 Yankees but the rest of it is pretty much right, though the timing still screams "Look at me!" and is obnoxious.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Without looking it up,my gut tells me that Cal Ripkin Jr. had a better statistical career, may have even been a better shortstop. Did Ripken make the HOF unanimously on the first ballot?

Either way, this has been an interesting discussion. Yes, Olbermann is a blowhard, but he does raise some interesting points, and goes against the Jeter wave. I agree the timing is bad...

Reaction Score
A great defensive player ? Yes. A great player ? No. There are 383 players (not counting pitchers or that would add another 200) who have a higher lifetime WAR than Maz. I've been a James devotee since the 80's and still have copies of "Baseball Abstract" from those years floating around somewhere. Defensive metrics are still in a state of flux. There are just too many obvious anomalies to consider them accurate. How's this.
Don Mattingly won of 9 gold glove awards and was a truly great defensive player, Yet, according to the defensive WAR metric, he was a below average fielder for every season of his career except one !

My point was simple: you're wrong that Mazeroski's election to the Hall came anywhere near "destroying any standards that the HoF has." He was a great second baseman. There are many lesser players in the Hall. Most were elected before he was.

Also, you're saying above that Mazeroski looks bad per defensive WAR, which is indicative of his worth, AND that Mattingly looks bad per defensive WAR, but that's a travesty. Now I get it.

Reaction Score
Without looking it up,my gut tells me that Cal Ripkin Jr. had a better statistical career, may have even been a better shortstop. Did Ripken make the HOF unanimously on the first ballot?

Either way, this has been an interesting discussion. Yes, Olbermann is a blowhard, but he does raise some interesting points, and goes against the Jeter wave. I agree the timing is bad...
Cal may have been a better shortstop - that is subjective. He had 2 gold gloves, Jeter had 5

In 21 years Cal had 3184 hits (#15 all time) to Jeter's 3463 (so far) (#6 all time). Jeter's hits are the all-time best for a shortstop.

Cal batted .276 for his career (#764 all time) to Jeter's .309 (#114 all time).

Cal had 1 World Series championship, 2 league MVPs, 19 All Star appearances and 2 All Star MVPs.

Derek had 5 WS championships, 1 league MVP, 1 World Series MVP, 14 All Star appearances, 1 All Star MVP.

Both clearly belong in the HOF. Nobody is ever going to get in unanimously on the first ballot because some writers don't think anyone should, and won't vote for anyone their first year.

Reaction Score
I've watched it many, many (many) times. He's safe. But whatcha gonna do?

Jeter was safe. I'll refer you to the top right corner of the 3rd page of photos in Ian O'Connor's The Captain, Jeter's authorized biography. Posada can be seen applying the tag to the back of Giambi's right leg while his cleat is inches from the ground. It's one of those ridiculously close plays that could go either way but the ump got it right. In fact, it's so close, that if you like Jeter, he's probably safe and if you're not a big fan, he's likely out. Replay would not have overturned the call whether he had been called safe or out, because there would not have been sufficient evidence to do so. The bottom line is, the ump called him safe and that's how history will record the play. BTW, I was at the game last night and the place couldn't have been more electric. A fitting end to a great career.

Reaction Score
Cal may have been a better shortstop - that is subjective. He had 2 gold gloves, Jeter had 5

In 21 years Cal had 3184 hits (#15 all time) to Jeter's 3463 (so far) (#6 all time). Jeter's hits are the all-time best for a shortstop.

Cal batted .276 for his career (#764 all time) to Jeter's .309 (#114 all time).

Cal had 1 World Series championship, 2 league MVPs, 19 All Star appearances and 2 All Star MVPs.

Derek had 5 WS championships, 1 league MVP, 1 World Series MVP, 14 All Star appearances, 1 All Star MVP.

Both clearly belong in the HOF. Nobody is ever going to get in unanimously on the first ballot because some writers don't think anyone should, and won't vote for anyone their first year.
Please don't use gold gloves to quantify defensive ability. Pretty much every advanced defensive metric agrees that Derek Jeter was not a very good defensive shortstop and definitely not worthy of those gold gloves. He's a hall of fame offensive shortstop but defensively, not so much. That jump throw hid the fact that he just couldn't get to that many balls with subpar range.

Reaction Score
My point was simple: you're wrong that Mazeroski's election to the Hall came anywhere near "destroying any standards that the HoF has." He was a great second baseman. There are many lesser players in the Hall. Most were elected before he was.

Also, you're saying above that Mazeroski looks bad per defensive WAR, which is indicative of his worth, AND that Mattingly looks bad per defensive WAR, but that's a travesty. Now I get it.

If you're going to quote me, please do it accurately. Where did I say that "Mazeroski looks bad per defensive War". I stated that "There are 383 players (not counting pitchers or that would add another 200) who have a higher lifetime WAR than Maz" (WAR is composed of offensive and defensive components). That is a statement of fact. I never used the term "defensive WAR" as it pertains to Maz in that post. But, as a matter of fact, most of Maz's WAR total comes from the defensive component, the unreliable metric. He wasn't good with a bat in his hands.
How you came up with "Maz looks bad per defensive War" I don't know.
He wasn't worthy of the HOF even if you included defensive WAR. Exclude it and there would be a 1,000 players in front of Maz.
I brought up Mattingly's defensive WAR as an example of the metrics unreliability. Using defensive WAR is a travesty in both cases.
Now do you get it ?

Reaction Score
If you're going to quote me, please do it accurately. Where did I say that "Mazeroski looks bad per defensive War". I stated that "There are 383 players (not counting pitchers or that would add another 200) who have a higher lifetime WAR than Maz" (WAR is composed of offensive and defensive components). That is a statement of fact. I never used the term "defensive WAR" as it pertains to Maz in that post. But, as a matter of fact, most of Maz's WAR total comes from the defensive component, the unreliable metric. He wasn't good with a bat in his hands.
How you came up with "Maz looks bad per defensive War" I don't know.
He wasn't worthy of the HOF even if you included defensive WAR. Exclude it and there would be a 1,000 players in front of Maz.
I brought up Mattingly's defensive WAR as an example of the metrics unreliability. Using defensive WAR is a travesty in both cases.
Now do you get it ?

It wasn't a quote. It was a characterization of the way you handled your WAR assessments. My point remains the same: you're wrong that Mazeroski's election to the Hall came anywhere near "destroying any standards that the HoF has." He was a great second baseman. There are many lesser players in the Hall. Most were elected before he was.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a quote. It was a characterization of the way you handled your WAR assessments. My point remains the same: you're wrong that Mazeroski's election to the Hall came anywhere near "destroying any standards that the HoF has." He was a great second baseman. There are many lesser players in the Hall. Most were elected before he was.

An inaccurate characterization. You forgot that part.
The point does remain the same. Maz does not belong in the HOF. By putting him in, the Old Timers committee have lowered the standards of it's entry. Would you have voted him in ?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You cant make this stuff up. Last nite was written for the books and after game to congratulate the Orioles well how much more class can you show. A true Icon and Role model for everybody no matter your age. We could all model ourselves after DJ. I had tears in my eyes in the 9th inning because I knew it was going to happen ,just the way it did. It doesnt get any better then last nite. What a last hurrah.

Reaction Score
His reaction to Posada saying "He's #1" is ridiculous. Jorge has been Jeter's closest friend on the team for more than 20 years, going back to when they played together in the minors. Posada wasn't engaging in a detailed analysis, he was giving a friend a compliment. So Keith gives us selected stats (does he really believe that Nettles was a better Yankee than Jeter ?) to prove what ? Throw out the defensive war stat (see my previous post) and Jeter has the 20th highest offensive WAR ranking in the history of the game.

I made my list of top 10 Yankees just off the top of my head with no statistical study. I don't really understand the statistic WAR. I know it is a comparison to an average player in a single season or over a career. Anyway, after I made the list I then looked up each players total WAR for their career.....

01. The Babe 163
02. The Mick 109
03. Gehrig 112
04. Joe D 78
05. Yogi 59
06. Mo 57
07. Jeter 72
08. Red Ruffing 55
09. Whitey Ford 54
10. Mattingly 42

Jeter comes out looking pretty good and might be placed higher but again I do not fully understand WAR and if it is accurate especially with defense.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
There's another likely future Hall of Famer retiring from MLB whose retirement has received almost no attention. He played 18 years, hit 439 homers and has had 1,412 rbis. He also has an OPS of .841 in those 18 years. Can anyone name him?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
RoyDodger said:
There's another likely future Hall of Famer retiring from MLB whose retirement has received almost no attention. He played 18 years, hit 439 homers and has had 1,412 rbis. He also has an OPS of .841 in those 18 years. Can anyone name him?

Paul Kenerko, and no one cares.

Reaction Score
Paul Kenerko is borderline HOF and even that is a stretch.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Paul Kenerko, and no one cares.

Funny about that. I wonder why. In 18 years he had more homers and rbis and a better OPS than Jeter had in 20 years. Jeter only had 260 homers and 1310 rbis and an OPS of .817. By that standard, he was a better hitter and more productive than Jeter. But, of course, he didn't play for the New York Yankees.

Incidentally, Konerko goes down in my book as one the Dodgers' worst trades ever. They traded him to Cincinnati for Jeff Shaw, an almost over-the-hill pitcher, when Konerko was only 22. And the Reds, being equally stupid, traded him to the White Sox after one season.

Reaction Score
Funny about that. I wonder why. In 18 years he had more homers and rbis and a better OPS than Jeter had in 20 years. Jeter only had 260 homers and 1310 rbis and an OPS of .817. By that standard, he was a better hitter and more productive than Jeter. But, of course, he didn't play for the New York Yankees.

Incidentally, Konerko goes down in my book as one the Dodgers' worst trades ever. They traded him to Cincinnati for Jeff Shaw, an almost over-the-hill pitcher, when Konerko was only 22. And the Reds, being equally stupid, traded him to the White Sox after one season.
I always liked Konerko. Hard to compare some offensive stats of power hitters (which OPS rewards) vs leadoff and #2 hitters. True Jeter's OPS only .828 vs Konerko's .842. Jeter's career batting avg is 30 points higher, and he has 358 stolen bases vs. 9 for Konerko. Jeter also has 161 more walks, and OBP of .377 vs Konerko's .354.

Reaction Score
Not to mention the 1,100 more hits. Paul Kenerko has a 20% chance at best to make the Hall. Look at his numbers versus Ortiz. That's a better comparison.

Reaction Score

He hit 3 or 4 in the lineup vs 1 or 2 so he better have more HR's and RBI. Need to think about these things before you have ridiculous comparisons. Konerko did it right too it would seem and a good guy also. "More productive"? I think not...........

Reaction Score
I know a few scouts, including the one that drafted my brother. I know a few players, current and former, including a sure future HOFer who played with my brother. I know a few former players who are currently in the coaching profession at both the minor and major league levels who played with my brother, including his minor league roommate.

We've had some interesting discussions about the validity of some of these "metrics". Many times the conversations have deteriorated into laughter. While they ARE used to an extent and have varying degrees of validity, anyone who takes the "metrics" as bible, while refusing to believe their lying eyes, are fooling themselves.

In his prime, Derek Jeter was a fine defensive shortstop, because he made himself into one with an unwavering work ethic. His range on pop-ups into both foul territory and the outfield carried a "+" rating, while his ability to charge and throw off balance with accuracy was as good as anyone in the game. A talent that even Don Zimmer marveled at. His sure hands made the routine play as automatic as it got and his overall arm strength and release were rated a positional "+". His footwork around the bag and his transition, as well as his delivery to the bag on DPs, were also considered "+" by actual baseball people. His athletic ability and arm strength allowed him to make the jump throw from the hole almost routine, despite the fact that he is considered a large shortstop and the notion the reason for the backhanded jump throw was because of a lack of range in the hole if laughable, as one only need look at his pre-pitch positioning on those particular plays. Some of his highest marks were in an area far less obvious to the casual fan and that area is defensive acumen.

Was Jeter a defensive marvel, the likes of say Omar Vizquel??? Did he have the range of the 5'9" 160# men that have played the position??? Was the 35 to 40 year old Jeter the same defensive SS he was in his youth??? Nope, but the current attempt to smear the 21 to 35 year old Jeter as some ham-handed hack wearing a skillet in lieu of a glove, with zero range and a defensive liability because the "metrics" say so, is the conversation that makes the baseball people we know, laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom