Alec Bloom: Positive | The Boneyard

Alec Bloom: Positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a game littered with negatives, there were some positives. The true frosh made some nice contributions against a very good team.

Bloom needs to add strength and size, but man, was I impressed.

And I think Marriner, Johnson, and Newsome all looked solid. The offensive line play was poor, and they still made the most of it. Newsome showed solid vision, Marriner showed speed and toughness, and I was most impressed with Ron Johnson.

Reaction Score
Yup, a lot of young guys to be excited about, Bloom has a bright future.

RB is now the deepest part of the team IMO, all 4 can play. Newsome needs more touches, he's a TD threat from anywhere on the field.

Question for all of you amateur offensive coordinators, how do we get Marriner and Newsome on the field at the same time?

Reaction Score

RB is now the deepest part of the team IMO, all 4 can play. Newsome needs more touches, he's a TD threat from anywhere on the field.

Question for all of you amateur offensive coordinators, how do we get Marriner and Newsome on the field at the same time?

Marriner in the backfield and Newsome in the slot. Run 22 jet sweeps and 22 screens, all to Newsome. Gotta figure he breaks 3-4 for TD's :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Run the Delaware Wing-T.

Reaction Score
I felt positive about the oline. IMHO they will be better than the 2013 version by the end of the year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is the kind of thread I like to see. Yes, the game sucked last night. But there were plenty of positives. I LOVED the way our young guys competed. They gained some valuable experience last night that can't be overlooked. I thought our guys played hard until the bitter end and that's what I wanted to see as soon as it became apparent early on that we were going to lose the game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There is good deal of upside in our offense. Hopefully Diaco and CO can foster this talent in the coming weeks so by mid season we have a confident O-unit.

The defense however seems to be in a bit of trouble. Not sure there is more talent on the field that is waiting to be maximized. Taysom Hill however makes for a very difficult test.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There is good deal of upside in our offense. Hopefully Diaco and CO can foster this talent in the coming weeks so by mid season we have a confident O-unit.

The defense however seems to be in a bit of trouble. Not sure there is more talent on the field that is waiting to be maximized. Taysom Hill however makes for a very difficult test.

I think what I bolded can explain what we we saw on D. Since we made the jump up to D-1, we've always had issues stopping good mobile QBs. I'll reserve my Defense judgements until after we've played a few more games on the schedule against teams that don't have the type of talent at QB that BYU has. BYU has a very interesting wrinkle to their offense that gives Hill an option to tuck and run OR dump off to a nearby receiver when he escapes the pocket. VERY difficult to defend and it looked like our LBs and DBs had a tough time maintaining assignments to defend both. If a guy looked ready to wrap up Hill, he'd dump it off to a guy for a gain. If we played containment, he'd tuck a run past a flat-footed defender. We aren't going to see a better prepared and executed offense all year than what we saw last night from BYU. They are damn good and worthy of being a Top 25 team. How they aren't ranked is absolutely ridiculous.

Reaction Score

I don't know about Reuben Frank, he has played a lot the last 4 years at FB, DE, DE/LB and Specials and I don't know what he gets done on the field. Obi may be the most talented safety Diaco has come across but he reminds me of Puig in shoulder pads.
I think there is a lot of promising young players on offense.

Reaction Score
This is the kind of thread I like to see. Yes, the game sucked last night. But there were plenty of positives. I LOVED the way our young guys competed. They gained some valuable experience last night that can't be overlooked. I thought our guys played hard until the bitter end and that's what I wanted to see as soon as it became apparent early on that we were going to lose the game.

Speaking of positives I like what Cruz said about HCBD:

“I can't think of another word to describe [Diaco] besides excitement,” said offensive lineman Gus Cruz. “It's just been a great experience, honestly, as a college football player and student athlete. I feel like for the first time I'm getting the college football experience with Coach Diaco. He really takes care of us, listens to what we have to say. He'll talk to us and he'll look us in the eye if we have a concern and say, ‘I'll see what I can do about that.' When you have a coach like that, you feel like you can go up to him and talk about anything, but ‘exciting' is the word. I don't think you can put another word there.”

The players would run through Mountains for Coach Diaco!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom