A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1% UConn, 49% S Carolina, 48% N Carolina, 2% Tenn (just cuz it's in Dixie). UConn offers too little of the familiar to the recruit.
Yes there seems to be a common theme with 3 of the 4 schools. I'm sure glad a little (ok a lot) of cold and snow didn't scare off D, Maya, KML, or Moriah.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Is it true that at the signing ceremony there will be a car and A'ja will sign her commitment on the hood? BTW, where is the signing ceremony? Is it at her HS?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Oh dear,another Wilson thread.
Many feel Ms.Wilson is close to a lock to stay close to home either with North Carolina or South Carolina.

I think there is a better than predicted chance she may choose Connecticut.Why?I believe,if it came down to be closer to home,to be near family and friends as the first priority,she probably would have two finalists,not four.

Secondly,she is a very smart girl,and is not the ego mania type,if you listen to those that know her,so staying in the Carolinas just to be a hero-type probably doesn't exist in her thinking of where she will go.

A lot has been said about her going to a national audience to make her announcement,but let's face it,this is a once in a lifetime decision,and the announcement may be more towards excitement than glamour and publicity.Besides,if you were going to stay local for sure,wouldn't your best bet be to announce on local outlets.

I have been wrong many,many times in life,but I can clearly see this isn't cut and dry where she will choose.

She wants a school that will help her achieve what she desires to obtain her goals,and each team offers something to that end.However,I still believe,that what Connecticut has done this year,the investments they are making in education,the friendships she made last summer with our three fine young ladies,will be a strong pull.

I also think that in the system Connecticut runs,she will not be confined to straight post play,but more of a Stewie type of play,which should be reasonable and fair.

I may be wrong again,but,I will not be surprised at all if she announces her choice as Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Yes there seems to be a common theme with 3 of the 4 schools. I'm sure glad a little (ok a lot) of cold and snow didn't scare off D, Maya, KML, or Moriah.

:cool: It isn't cold or snowy in the gym...

We wish her well regardless of her choice of schools...and look forward to seeing her play.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
It would surprise the hell out of me.
If you think she would get in that crowd at her HS in SC and show a UConn hat, well I'd think you are nutz. But what do I know.

Here's the latest article on preparations for tomorrow. LINK

"I'm a Gamecock myself," McKay [PR person] said. "And a lot of us would like to see her stay close."

Glad this will be over in 24 hours.

Reaction Score
If you think she would get in that crowd at her HS in SC and show a UConn hat, well I'd think you are nutz. But what do I know.

Here's the latest article on preparations for tomorrow. LINK

"I'm a Gamerooster myself," McKay [PR person] said. "And a lot of us would like to see her stay close."

Glad this will be over in 24 hours.
I bet Geno already knows. I'd guess he's gotten pretty good at reading the tea leaves over the years. I wouldn't mind if she goes elsewhere so we can stop hearing that the only reason UConn wins and wins is because they get all the best players. Wilson isn't a make or break player for UConn.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We've gotten must have recruits and lost must have recruits and still the championships keep coming. Given that, it is hard to worry too much about the decision of an 18 year old. I hope we get her, but there's no point in obsessing about it. Tomorrow I will either welcome her aboard or wish her well and move on.

Reaction Score
Ms AW and family have been around for awhile. Pop has been in and about for ten years with the basketball guys…He know what’s up and what’s down.

He also knew at an early age he has a talented gift with his young daughter.

She resisted but he pushed, she argued, he resisted. He finally was able to reveal to her the big picture with role models who has AA careers in college, Multi NCAA Titles, lucrative professional careers, now retired or about, with health, family and a ton of cash in the bank.

The “Key” as one would have it .. is: who can best prepare and teach and drive one for the ultimate picture…

Well let’s look through the families eye and see…

Team A, never won a National, never had a AA, but has a AA coach, but till this year not much going on, talks a good talk, but..?? Will be a local home town hero and very little page I press…very light TV …1 Star

Team B, won one NCAA, a few AA’s, an unfortunate coaching situation, good 2014 recruiting, in a triangle with a bunch of college basketball, so not very much press, or TV …2.5 Stars.

Team C, won 9 NCAA’s, number of AA’s is over the top, all games on National TV, Brand new basketball facility, strongest coaching staff since Wooden @ UCLA, odds on for a three-peat, and a ready made starting position with three proven AA’s. And a future filled with notoriety and Green Stamps”

The answer is simple and Dad will tell the family, which one is best for the picture 10 years from now!!! Pop knows he has been there done that!!!!

Reaction Score
Ms AW and family have been around for awhile. Pop has been in and about for ten years with the basketball guys…He know what’s up and what’s down.

She resisted but he pushed, she argued, he resisted. He finally was able to reveal to her the big picture with role models who has AA careers in college, Multi NCAA Titles, lucrative professional careers, now retired or about, with health, family and a ton of cash in the bank.

The “Key” as one would have it .. is: who can best prepare and teach and drive one for the ultimate picture…

Team A, never won a National, never had a AA, but has a AA coach, but till this year not much going on, talks a good talk, but..?? Will be a local home town hero and very little page I press…very light TV …1 Star

Team B, won one NCAA, a few AA’s, an unfortunate coaching situation, good 2014 recruiting, in a triangle with a bunch of college basketball, so not very much press, or TV …2.5 Stars.

Team C, won 9 NCAA’s, number of AA’s is over the top, all games on National TV, Brand new basketball facility, strongest coaching staff since Wooden @ UCLA, odds on for a three-peat, and a ready made starting position with three proven AA’s. And a future filled with notoriety and Green Stamps”

The answer is simple and Dad will tell the family, which one is best for the picture 10 years from now!!! Pop knows he has been there done that!!!!
It's not just about basketball. If it were every #1 recruit would be at UConn every year. It's a lot more complicated than that to say the least.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I honestly hope that Dad doesn't "tell the family", whether she comes this way or not. This is a decision she has to make - Mom, Dad, and others may be asked for input, but, she has to be happy with her choice. It has to feel "right" to her.

Reaction Score

If you're right, Bill, you're gonna be mighty damn popular around here.

Reaction Score
Big day for UCONN on Wed...........This is a huge smoke screen........

Reaction Score
1% UConn, 49% S Carolina, 48% N Carolina, 2% Tenn (just cuz it's in Dixie). UConn offers too little of the familiar to the recruit.

I think it is more like UNC 100%, UCONN 0%, USC 0%, Tenn 0%, since McDaniel and DeShields have been tweeting Wilson the couple days.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think it is more like UNC 100%, UCONN 0%, USC 0%, Tenn 0%, since McDaniel and DeShields have been tweeting Wilson the couple days.
Yep, tweets always tell the story.

Reaction Score
Yep, tweets always tell the story.
Sometimes it is better to go to the source. One can eschew social media all they like, but in the end it is the official mouthpiece. It's why even government agencies use it to disseminate information. It's not just for high school kids anymore.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Sometimes it is better to go to the source. One can eschew social media all they like, but in the end it is the official mouthpiece. It's why even government agencies use it to disseminate information. It's not just for high school kids anymore.

think irony, 21

Reaction Score
Take this for what it's worth....

I sat very close to Ms. Wilson, her father and the other recruits back in October at the very start of the season during "midnight madness." Courtney, Sadie, Kia and Gabby were tightly together in a group in the front row, laughing and acting like the best of friends. A'ja sat alone with her Dad, about a dozen rows above the other recruits, and behind the other parents. I saw little interaction between her and the other recruits, and, in stark contrast, the Wilsons seemed very quiet and reserved.

Can't judge much from two hours, but I was struck by their serious demeanor.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
On the parade video that caught all the the "private banter re Sadie", someone asked Geno a question that we couldn't hear on that tape, but his answer was , "she's not coming". I don't know if anyone else heard that, and actually thought about it. Bur the team had been talking about the recruits! For what it's worth.

Reaction Score
On the parade video that caught all the the "private banter re Sadie", someone asked Geno a question that we couldn't hear on that tape, but his answer was , "she's not coming". I don't know if anyone else heard that, and actually thought about it. Bur the team had been talking about the recruits! For what it's worth.
Hopefully not true as I believe that would constitute an NCAA violation.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Hopefully not true as I believe that would constitute an NCAA violation.
We couldn't hear the qst. But whoever was filming should have told or reminded the team they were being recorded, because they didn't know, or forgot!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can't believe with her press conference on Wednesday that anyone is still trying to figure out where she is going.

I'm with Stwainfan. We will find out Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom