A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Hopefully not true as I believe that would constitute an NCAA violation.

Doubt it's a violation for the coaches to speak of it between themselves (Which is what was intended - NOT a public comment)

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Is it true that at the signing ceremony there will be a car and A'ja will sign her commitment on the hood? BTW, where is the signing ceremony? Is it at her HS?

It's a Wheel of Fortune format... A wheel with the schools listed... And a phrase which all four coaches in contention have to solve to spin the wheel in order to win the prize. :)

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
It would be the funniest moment in the history of recruiting if she were to announce for Coastal Carolina

Spectacular!!!

Since the Misses & I love to hang out in Myrtle Beach, aka The Redneck Riviera, and also home to Myrtle Manor from reality TV, we will certainly buy season's tickets to the Chanticleers. (Since I have season tickets to their football program, I may be able to get seats right behind her. I can pass her her water bottle during time outs).

Reaction Score
I think it is more like UNC 100%, UCONN 0%, USC 0%, Tenn 0%, since McDaniel and DeShields have been tweeting Wilson the couple days.
Is that to suggest there has been no UConn tweeting to Wilson over the last couple days???? During the off season, aren't the girls allowed to tweet??????

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hopefully not true as I believe that would constitute an NCAA violation.
Geno's allowed to talk about recruits in a general sense such as "I'm recruiting her" (or not). And he is most certainly allowed to discuss recruits with people in the Athletic Department. He's NOT allowed to say "A'ja is a great player, with greats skills and I'd love to see her at UConn". The NCAA isn't going to ding him unless he makes a statement to the press.

Reaction Score
I think Geno done a fabulous job recruiting to replace Bria. Courtney Ekmark has one the quickest releases I've ever seen for so accurate a shooter, and the thought of her playing the 2 woman game with Breanna should really get fans psyched. Bria's defense will be missed, but Kia Nurse looks like an all-rounder and Gabby is an amazing athlete! Shame we'll miss her this season, but she can really be special. I loved the post by her cousin referring to his pretty cousin coming to Storrs. Has anyone seen Sadie play? I haven't. It would be nice to have one more center....Is there a JUCO for Geno to pursue? The wild card to me is Saniya. We haven't seen her best yet. I think Kiah Stokes is going to be awesome next year. Geno's going to have some very nice yet interesting choices next year. Breanna Banks should be 100%. People are trying to figure out the starting line-ups already and I really can't. Can Courtney play forward? Try chasing her around the perimeter if she does. Her range is scary.

Reaction Score
Most people are discounting them, but I actually don't underestimate Tennessee's potential draw for A'ja.

Not for the reason stwainfan likes to mention (her favorite player Candace went there), but because it's actually a good middle-of-the-road pick in many ways. It's an SEC team like USC, but without the pressure of meeting the expectations of the SC locals. The coaching is undistinguished, but no more so than UNC. It's got strong and loyal fan support. Being an SEC team, it shares the benefit with USC of having a lot of fairly close conference games for friends and family to travel to. (the ACC is good in this respect as well; the AAC is pretty bad geographically)

Reaction Score
I think it is more like UNC 100%, UCONN 0%, USC 0%, Tenn 0%, since McDaniel and DeShields have been tweeting Wilson the couple days.

Is that legal per NCAA rules? Or hasn't the NCAA had time to issue restrictions on social media?

Reaction Score
I honestly hope that Dad doesn't "tell the family", whether she comes this way or not. This is a decision she has to make - Mom, Dad, and others may be asked for input, but, she has to be happy with her choice. It has to feel "right" to her.
She also realizes that she is where she is today because of Dad ... he has got her to this point .. so why change now...
But then again I've heard it a 1000 times..."Oh I don't want to leave my friends etc" ...only to find out 2 years later her friends have disappeared....
But since the "Mac Show" there has been "questions" ... play was just so & so ...Dunk Contest????? Although she has looked the role in off season play...what another Sam Walker, who could of been AA under the UConn staff ...
When you go into uncharted waters, you've better have the best looking over your shoulder, case in point the names from last years TN class..???

Reaction Score
She also realizes that she is where she is today because of Dad ... he has got her to this point .. so why change now...
But then again I've heard it a 1000 times..."Oh I don't want to leave my friends etc" ...only to find out 2 years later her friends have disappeared....
But since the "Mac Show" there has been "questions" ... play was just so & so ...Dunk Contest????? Although she has looked the role in off season play...what another Sam Walker, who could of been AA under the UConn staff ...
When you go into uncharted waters, you've better have the best looking over your shoulder, case in point the names from last years TN class..???
Yeah, but trying that to a high school kid where her friends are all she's known for a decade. I don't think I spoke to a friend from high school ever again after my 2nd year of college. To potentially hurt your future because of that reason is really dumb.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
All will be confirmed in six hours. Before this thread loses all its steam, may I ask for explanations of terms used here? Asked because I watch the same thing everyone else does and see things somewhat differently, and would like to get a picture of other points of view:
1. Volume shooting? What's the criteria/ guidelines? How has Diamond DeShields earned that distinction? Any other player?
2. Undisciplined? Again, what is the criteria/guidelines? How has North Carolina earned that distinction? Why does it bother some fans when teams play "undisciplined" basketball? Why can't such a style be successful? Has it ever been successful?
3. What has Coach Sylvia Hatchell done/not done to earn the distinction of being a bad coach? How does her record not speak for itself?
4. How is it possible to disparage a coach for "only" winning one national championship with certain highly talented players on the roster?
5. What is being referred to when it is said a team lacks fundamentals?
6. What is so appalling about men's basketball that the mere thought of it seeping into the women's game has many on edge?
7. What is meant when someone says that "he/she plays the game the way it is supposed to be played?"

I believe that all styles of basketball can be successful with the right personnel, but have always favored the wide open uptempo styles of UNLV, Oral Roberts(for those old enough to remember when they had great teams), and Loyola Marymount among others. It was entertaining as opposed to the walk it up the floor styles of Lou Carnesecca's St. John's teams or Al McGuire's Marquette teams, but I rooted for St. John's and Marquette just the same.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A'ja's mother sounds sensible. I hope A'ja doesn't feel pressured by her scheduled announcement today. If she's not sure, she should take more time. Each kid is different and needs to do it her way.

I believe her that she hadn't decided. I think if she can't decide between UNC and USC that UConn is a good option. :)

Reaction Score
Somehow, every recruit who sets a deadline is completely undecided within hours of his or her press conference. And then, when the time comes to make the choice, there never seems to be any uncertainty.

I'm not the biggest fan of this stuff, but it's not my choice to make. Best of luck to A'ja either way.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sooo - all that inside information and rumor mongering must be from someone with a brain scan machine I guess?

Reaction Score
Somehow, every recruit who sets a deadline is completely undecided within hours of his or her press conference. And then, when the time comes to make the choice, there never seems to be any uncertainty.

I'm not a fan of this stuff, but it's become relatively common these days. It is what it is.
I disagree. Did Stewie, D, Sue or Maya pull these publicity stunts? And they are some of the best women's basketball players in the world. Wilson is a high school kid. The fall semester starts in 4 months and after a couple of years to make a decision still can't?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is an insult to consider it a publicity stunt. We have had kids who announced at press conferences. Usually, they are organized by their schools but the world is changing. She will not be the only kid receiving attention tomorrow or during the signing period as she announces. We have no evidence at all that she sought out the attention from ESPN.

There is absolutely no reason to doubt her sincerity and none of us here has lived her life. She is at the moment making the biggest decision of her young life. When I am doing weddings I become very concerned if the couple is not showing nervousness at the immensity of what they are about to do.

Many kids are intimidated by selecting where they will go to college for the next four years. For A'ja it is likely even more immense because of the pressure she is receiving from many directions. Let's give her the space she needs and support her in whatever her decision is.

Blessings A'ja. We'd love to have you at UCONN and know there are many blessings there but it is your decision to make and celebrate.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I disagree. Did Stewie, D, Sue or Maya pull these publicity stunts? And they are some of the best women's basketball players in the world. Wilson is a high school kid. The fall semester starts in 4 months and after a couple of years to make a decision still can't?
Well ... I think this gets back to that long thread by Nan. I am sure you have made all your life decisions in 30 seconds and have never regretted them, but you are probably an exception to the rule. I personally took 4 months to decide on a college, and then transferred two years later - luckily they didn't make me sit out a year and I could continue to pursue my passion immediately - but then I wasn't an athlete and didn't have to also consider coaching, style of play, teammates, and fans. Nor were my parents interested in coming to watch me study so travel considerations weren't that important for them.
Personally, I much prefer this process to the quick decisions from players who ended up transferring. And I suspect the coaches do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom