Admit it... | The Boneyard

Admit it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all love Uconn football, but reality is we are and will forever be MAC level....

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Forever is a pretty long time last time I checked.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed I-AA UConn football. Loved UConn being competitive in Big East. Not loving this, won't subsidize MAC-level football.

Reaction Score
Guy all I'm saying is that during my 40 years of following this program is that there have been very few times that I have been able to say that Uconn would be able to compete with the teams I watch on tv. No matter the conference, no matter the time of day. I want this program to succeed more than I can tell you but I am having my doubts.

Reaction Score
Only if UConn chooses to be. UConn can be a national football power if it wants it badly enough. Requires investment and commitment to winning. PP was the safe, economical choice, and just like his game management, playing not to lose is the surest path to the thing you are trying to avoid. Winners put it o the line.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. But, we need an attitude adjustment and it has to start at the top with Herbst/Manuel. They have to communicate that this performance is totally unacceptable and set high expectations for the football program. When PP was hired, the hope was for a coach that would at least maintain UConn football at a solid level. You do not hire a retread coach to allow the program to decline. If you hired a young, rising, successful assistant coach to be head coach and he was performing this way, you would say you took a risk and made a mistake and make a change and move on. There is no learning curve with PP. He is what he is, which means time for change.

Reaction Score
2007-2010 we had a good run of beating 'name' teams: Notre Dame, South Carolina, West Virginia. should have been a springboard, not the top of the mountain

Reaction Score
Guy all I'm saying is that during my 40 years of following this program is that there have been very few times that I have been able to say that Uconn would be able to compete with the teams I watch on tv. No matter the conference, no matter the time of day. I want this program to succeed more than I can tell you but I am having my doubts.

Disagree. UConn has only been playing big boy football for 10 years. The first 30 you talk about are irrelevant. I have seen UConn beat Notre Dame, West Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland, Pitt, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Maryland, Wake Forest, Louisville, Cincinatti, Baylor, Navy, Army, Rutgers, Indiana, Iowa St.,... Yes, UConn can and has done it.

Reaction Score
Reality is that we have to decide whether we want to have a program that can compete on the D1 level or not. This program has put kids in the pro's but we compete terribly. I believe that we are really full in or we should just accept our third level big east position. Personally I am totally pissed off on where we are at this point. We have some great kids who will play at the next leve and we do not respect their sacrifice by playing at this level.

pj

Reaction Score
Reality is we are competitive. We were competitive today and last week, but we didn't win.

There are enough weaknesses in the roster that we're not going to dominate anyone. GDL wasted a lot of time developing the offense -- QB-receivers shouldn't be miscommunicating on so many routes in week 7 -- and we aren't talented enough to overcome coaching mediocrity.

Just have to get better and win some games. At least the team is working on the right things now.

Reaction Score
I won't settle for mediocrity, will our program and school settle for it? Its up to our program where it wants to go. Coming up with excuses wont get it done, there are teams in college football with the talent level that we have or less that are getting the job done, im not asking to be a top 25 all I ask is to beat teams that we should.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Horrible post.

MAC programs on their BEST attendance days get less fans than us on our WORST. MAC programs don't have the same academic standards. MAC programs can't sniff our overall athletic success. MAC programs could never match our stadium or facilities.

Reaction Score
Silly position. We are less than 2 years removed from bcs bowl. Need to get back toward that level and becomes a 2040 level team. This is obtainable.

Reaction Score
P and the boys are not able to get us to where we(the fanbase) want to go.

Next coach please.............

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is a dopey duck*ing thread. It's looking at UConn in a vacuum...usually, that's a special form of ignorance given to our men's hoop fans.

The reality of college football is that there's a bare handful of actually elite teams - and then the rest of the country is a muddle. Half the teams in the freaking SEC are nothing more than average.

It just doesn't take much to jump from the level we're at now to a level that puts us on par with three-quarters of the BCS-conference programs. Unfortunately, the guy that's running the show isn't capable of even that little boost.

Reaction Score
Horrible post.

MAC programs on their BEST attendance days get less fans than us on our WORST. MAC programs don't have the same academic standards. MAC programs can't sniff our overall athletic success. MAC programs could never match our stadium or facilities.
I don't know. I don't think we win the MAC this year. Especially if we had been in the MAC for a couple of years. We wouldn't have the talent that we have on D, for sure. But we barely eked out a home win against Buff, and we got demolished by Carder when he was in the game at WMU. And WMU defense swarmed and buried us at the end of that game. We lost to Temple, which is essentially MAC. The only team we handled was UMass, and they are not even MAC level yet. We are MAC, I'm sorry.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think a lot of our fan base is MAC level, including many of the posters in this thread.

Reaction Score
We all love Uconn football, but reality is we are and will forever be MAC level....
Wrong.

I heard guys like you talking about basketball that way in the 60s and 70s. I thought they we just people without vision.

Reaction Score
Wrong.

I heard guys like you talking about basketball that way in the 60s and 70s. I thought they we just people without vision.

Calhoun stuck it out from '86... Took him 4 years to put us on the map ('89-'90 season Tate George and "The Shot") then another 9 for a Nat'l Championship... You saying we have another 3 to 4 years in football before we get there? With this staff... Biggest difference is our coach that was working on getting us to the promised land left... Now we are mediocre at best... Reality - this coaching staff (from top - Coach P and GDL) play not to lose... Doggone shame too, because we have enough talent to do better.... Winning is not important to them... That's clear.... And, that's unacceptable...

Reaction Score

What do you mean forever will be? With RE we were far better than MAC caliber. We were a very good BE team. Apparently P isn't working out, but I think Warde can turn things around with a good hire. After losing to Temple in such a fashion I think I'm ready to see P fired after the end of the season. Unless he does some amazing things next week I don't see how he can get things moving in the right direction in time to save his job. I think the best thing we have going for us is that Warde didn't hire him, so he probably won't be as apt to keep him for one more season.

I really like Don Brown's defense, and the only way I think we're keeping him is if we make him head coach. I'd be fine with that, especially if he's paired with an OC that can manage 24+ points a game. At least we won't be doing another total rebuild starting next year, and I think it will help if we can keep some continuity in the coaching staff. I think if we keep P one more year we'll lose Brown and have to sit through a season of GDL's lousy offense paired with a more boring defense. That would be insufferable.

Reaction Score
The premise of this thread is nonsense. Edsall was Edsall but he organized the program and possibly at some point he might have been beating Top 25 teams on a regular basis. We'll never know. We were a middle of the road BCS Caliber team, stuck in that nebulous realm between the Top 25 and the BCS schools that didn't make bowl games.

Jeff Hathaway never had to make a serious hire until Edsall left. He was a small time thinker.

His biggest failure was in assessing the state of the program on Edsall's departure. He assumed that going to the Fiesta Bowl was the same as being Fiesta Bowl caliber. So what did he do? He hired a caretaker. Instead of taking dead aim at progress he hired what he thought was the safe play. Only the play wasn't that safe.

Reaction Score
2007-2010 we had a good run of beating 'name' teams: Notre Dame, South Carolina, West Virginia. should have been a springboard, not the top of the mountain

Absolutely. And that's what is discouraging. In reality, UConn is one person away from getting back on track - Paul Pasqualoni. With him as coach this program will deteriorate. With a good hire, shouldn't take long to get back on track since UConn will be back to "sneaking up on opponents". PP has gotta go. I resent the fact that he can actually control what goes on with this program.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't know. I don't think we win the MAC this year. Especially if we had been in the MAC for a couple of years. We wouldn't have the talent that we have on D, for sure. But we barely eked out a home win against Buff, and we got demolished by Carder when he was in the game at WMU. And WMU defense swarmed and buried us at the end of that game. We lost to Temple, which is essentially MAC. The only team we handled was UMass, and they are not even MAC level yet. We are MAC, I'm sorry.
BC lost to Army this year. They're horrible. Are they MAC? Was Maryland MAC last year? How about GT losing to...what was it, some 1AA school? MAC? PSU MAC-bound for losing at home to Ohio? Should I list all the FBS teams who lost to MAC schools this and last year? Your MAC conference is looking pretty big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom