Adams is miles ahead of Gibbs defensively | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adams is miles ahead of Gibbs defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots of overreaction here. Gibbs and Purvis will both have lots of really good games this year. Adams has earned a bigger role for sure, but there is no need to bury Gibbs and Purvis. I do think the rotation gets shortened now, however. Phil, Sam and Omar are going to have a tough time getting many minutes.

Just a thought: press and run. I bet the results would be much better.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Comparing Adams best game to Gibbs' worst game is a brilliant idea. Let's keep that going for another week.

They should both be playing a lot. The biggest problem is how terrible we are in the half court, and how we allow dribble penetration constantly on defense.

Reaction Score
Muaconn only you would try to minimize Jalen's skills and huge impact on the comeback against Gonzaga. Sterling has looked brutal against good competition. He is slow, is inclined to shoot, and can't defend. Unless he is spotting up from 3 he wont be able to do much for us this year. Jalen Adams needs to start ASAP if we are to reach our potential. Other than Hamilton, Adams is already more talented than Purvis or Gibbs.

yeah you're right. my bad - later dude! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Muaconn only you would try to minimize Jalen's skills and huge impact on the comeback against Gonzaga. Sterling has looked brutal against good competition. He is slow, is inclined to shoot, and can't defend. Unless he is spotting up from 3 he wont be able to do much for us this year. Jalen Adams needs to start ASAP if we are to reach our potential. Other than Hamilton, Adams is already more talented than Purvis or Gibbs.

I'm sure you were clamoring for Jalen to start after the Michigan and Syracuse games too, right?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Comparing Adams best game to Gibbs' worst game is a brilliant idea. Let's keep that going for another week.

They should both be playing a lot. The biggest problem is how terrible we are in the half court, and how we allow dribble penetration constantly on defense.

This wasn't even Adams' best game.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
And he's miles ahead of Purvis composure wise.

This is the Adams that I've been waiting for. Clearly he's a lead guard and needs the ball in his hands and isn't comfortable yet as the second guard.

Gibbs looked hurt/ worn down today. I'll give him a pass.

But 40 games in and it's still the same out of control, sporadic shooting, can't finish purvis.
Over his last 15 games, Purvis has scored in double digits 14 times and over 20 points in four of those. He's shooting 47% from the floor, 41% from three and 65% from the free throw line in that time. He's got a 1.4-to-1 assist to turnover ratio (and two of those turnovers were against Syracuse when Amida let the ball slip right between his hands - those are credited to the guy who threw the pass, not the guy who failed to catch it).

He's not playing like a first team All-American or anything, but to say this is the same guy we had at the beginning of last year is basically to waive the white flag and admit you know nothing about hoops.

Reaction Score
can't believe how quickly people are throwing Gibbs under the bus. Gibbs has proven that he can shoot, both in a uconn uniform and in a SHU uni. Everyone had a poor shooting performance today. Jalen, as much as I know he's going to be a stud come February and then on- I don't think has hit a jumper yet this year. Can we move the "start Jalen" convo to "start Jalen AND Gibbs and let Purvis come off as the 6th man"? I know we all love Rodney- he has UConn toughness and blood written all over him. In my opinion, he is the captain of this team, BUT sometimes he is infuriating to watch. His pure bball skill lacks- he is always all over the place-whether it is dribbling, shooting or driving. He is a slasher- THATS his game- but unfortunately he refuses to go up to the bucket strong and contorts his body in all sorts of ways when going to the hoop. I can't tell you how many times he's been straight up stuffed by the bottom of the rim because of his ugly, contorted lay up attempts. He is such a streaky shooter as well- his FG % proves that. I think that he should be 1st off the bench, and as our leader- use that as motivation for the rest of the team. In my mind- Gibbs is still well and away our 2nd best shooter, scorer and player. One bad game where he couldn't hit anything.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
I still can't comprehend the fact that he pulled up.

He looked gassed to me at the end of the game. It's early and he logged 107 minutes in 2.5 days, so maybe he settled here. But I chalk that more up to decision making.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This wasn't even Adams' best game.
If you want to ignore defense, sure he had a better game against Furman. This game he made a huge impact defensively and was efficient on offense, and it was against a way better opponent. It was his best game.

Gibbs is going to have games where he can't miss though, and then nobody will be complaining. They're both very good guards, and there's plenty of PT available for three good guards (them two and Purvis). What I don't understand is playing Cassell in a half where you're getting no defensive pressure on the ball. It should've been Adams there, and I think it will be him going forward.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Gibbs did seem low energy today. Jalen gave us a taste of things to come. He has quickness, some strength, and surprising hops to go with the best vision of the court on the team. I hope Jalen gets more minutes with the starters, especially with Gibbs. Also nice to see Miller showing some fire in the second half.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Gibbs was 2nd team Big East last year. I know everyone on here loves to pretend the New Big East sucks, but Gibbs is an established player.

It's not really a Gibbs vs Adams debate to me, but it's more likely coming at expense of Cassell or Calhoun.

Reaction Score
He looked gassed to me at the end of the game. It's early and he logged 107 minutes in 2.5 days, so maybe he settled here. But I chalk that more up to decision making.

Hamilton on big missed 3: "I saw it was wide open and I took it. I shouldve gone to the rim like we'd been doing the whole 2nd half."

Reaction Score
To clarify, the object of the thread was not to throw dirt on Gibbs. The only thing I said was that Gibbs is being outplayed by Adams on the defensive end and I think that's true.

Gibbs might be our second most valuable offensive player. We desperately need his shooting.

From what I observed, the team was shredded defensively in that tournament with Gibbs on the floor. That doesn't mean that Gibbs is the scapegoat of all our defensive shortcomings and it doesn't mean he won't improve in time as he continues to grasp the schemes and what is expected of him here compared to Seton Hall.

Adams, though, has displayed some real potential defensively. He guarded LeVert better than anybody on Wednesday and he was integral to the comeback today. On a team that has six, maybe seven players with an argument to play crunch time, these threads are going to continue to pop up for the rest of the year regardless of how the team is playing. And I'm not even suggesting Gibbs be benched - he should continue to start, in my mind, for at least a while longer. It's an interesting dynamic to monitor, though.

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP's main point, but ultimately this team will need both guys at their peak to reach its potential.

I'm a little underwhelmed by Ollie's lineup management so far. While today's matchup wouldn't have been the time to do it, I'd like to see him go small more frequently with Adams at point, Gibbs at the 2, and Purvis at the 3. That's their best lineup on both ends of the floor.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree with the OP's main point, but ultimately this team will need both guys at their peak to reach its potential.

This is the most important point. Every discussion of certain players turns into an either/situation, when the answer usually is 'both'.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sterling had a bad game today and a bad second half vs. Syracuse. If he was a freshman I can live with it but to disappear in two big games like these, as a 5th year player, is puzzling as well as concerning. I am excited that UConn has him BUT he needs to play at a higher level. Playing in the Big east vs the teams they played the past 2 years have shown us that he can sparkle against quality and not only vs. Maine and New Hampshire.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Adams will be starting before we know it. Hamilton, bonehead shot down 1
yes bad shot BUT where would the team be without him?

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I have been tough on Purvis but this can't make a lay-up is BS. True it's been the case the last two games but it's way down my list.
My bigger concerns are foul shooting and decision making including the ability to see the court. True his foul shooting was good today. And after hitting 3 threes yesterday - why did he then drive three times?
As many things as we can pick at - and there is an abundance of them - Our problem is no guy has stepped up to close games. I think Hamilton is just a little bit away from stepping in that role. Adams maybe could too in a supporting way but both their shooting needs to be more consistent - but it's also mental.

Reaction Score
To clarify, the object of the thread was not to throw dirt on Gibbs. The only thing I said was that Gibbs is being outplayed by Adams on the defensive end and I think that's true.

Gibbs might be our second most valuable offensive player. We desperately need his shooting.

From what I observed, the team was shredded defensively in that tournament with Gibbs on the floor. That doesn't mean that Gibbs is the scapegoat of all our defensive shortcomings and it doesn't mean he won't improve in time as he continues to grasp the schemes and what is expected of him here compared to Seton Hall.

Adams, though, has displayed some real potential defensively. He guarded LeVert better than anybody on Wednesday and he was integral to the comeback today. On a team that has six, maybe seven players with an argument to play crunch time, these threads are going to continue to pop up for the rest of the year regardless of how the team is playing. And I'm not even suggesting Gibbs be benched - he should continue to start, in my mind, for at least a while longer. It's an interesting dynamic to monitor, though.

You're 100% right on this champs. Gibbs wasn't just bad on defense in this tournament, he was horrific. Guys went around him at will and he didn't even pretend to try and recover.

For all the hemming and hawing around here about the offense, we lost the last two games because our defense wasn't remotely close to UConn D. Period. While there is a lot of blame to go around, Gibbs was the greatest offender.

It's not a quickness issue like Sam C, Gibbs demonstrated plenty of quickness getting to the tin on offense. I think he will ultimately be fine. But he needs to get the message, and quick, that the turnstile approach is not acceptable.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Last year at this time, I was down on Purvis. Not now. His defense, his heart, his jump shot, his ability to penetrate, are all great. If he finishes those lay-ups and makes a few better decisions, he is a star. I think he gets there.
Then we'll have a good perimeter shooter who can slash and burn who plays intense D.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

The defensive failure was more on Miller than Gibbs. Biggest change in second half come back was Millers adjustment on d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom