Adamec: Stewart to get homecoming game at Colgate | The Boneyard

Adamec: Stewart to get homecoming game at Colgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This was first reported by Jim Fuller yesterday. The game will be played around thanksgiving 2015 and the contract is only for this one game. Hamilton, NY is about an hour's drive from Syracuse. Seating capacity for Colgate's basketball arena is 3,000.

Remember it was reported earlier that UConn reached out to Syracuse for a game but was told no. Carl writes:

It’s somewhat surprising that Syracuse wouldn’t want to play UConn just from a financial point of view. In their first year in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013-14, the Orange finished 15th — last — in attendance with an average of 599 fans at the 35,446 capacity Carrier Dome. Their largest crowd was the finale against Pittsburgh (1,532) while games against Top 10 teams Duke and Maryland drew 1,107 and 1,312 respectively.

UConn’s last game at the Carrier Dome on Jan. 25, 2012, when Stewart was a high school senior, drew 4,357.

Syracuse’s non-league home schedule this season has it playing Fordham, Vermont, Penn State in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, North Carolina Central, Canisius, Cornell, and Central Connecticut State.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/stewart-to-get-homecoming-game-at-colgate/

Reaction Score
No surprise on Colgate. Once Syr vetoed a game a year ago, I was sure it'd be Colgate or Cornell.

With Syracuse making inroads in New England recruiting, they probably don't want to get the attention of a massive defeat.

Cuse has landed a 2016 from CT and 2015 Davida Dale from RI. They, along with 2015 MD commit Kiah Gillespie, are the only New England players in the top 100 for 2015 and 2016.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Probably more like Hillsman not wanting to play second fiddle in a game that will showcase a great local player who said no to his program. Baby.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just curious..... did UCONN make an attempt to schedule a game for this season vs Iowa, or UNI ? How about a game in Southern California ?

No surprise on Colgate. Once Syr vetoed a game a year ago, I was sure it'd be Colgate or Cornell.

With Syracuse making inroads in New England recruiting
, they probably don't want to get the attention of a massive defeat.

Cuse has landed a 2016 from CT and 2015 Davida Dale from RI. They, along with 2015 MD commit Kiah Gillespie, are the only New England players in the top 100 for 2015 and 2016.

No offense to the New Englander's ... but it doesnt seem like Syracuse has much to gain from making inroads in New England.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just curious..... did UCONN make an attempt to schedule a game for this season vs Iowa, or UNI ? How about a game in Southern California ?

No offense to the New Englander's ... but it doesnt seem like its much to gain from making inroads in New England.
Colgate is in New York

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Just curious..... did UCONN make an attempt to schedule a game for this season vs Iowa?

From what I'm told (unofficially) no. I don't know about UNI or Drake, though.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Iowa state won't schedule UConn and I'm pretty sure the same has been true of Iowa (closer to Kiah's home).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Iowa state won't schedule UConn and I'm pretty sure the same has been true of Iowa (closer to Kiah's home).

I didnt realize that Iowa State's coach was a Tennessee alum :oops:

Reaction Score
No offense to the New Englander's ... but it doesnt seem like Syracuse has much to gain from making inroads in New England.

Just 2 of the program's highest rated recruits ever.

Reaction Score

UConn plays at UCLA on Dec 21.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn plays at UCLA on Dec 21.

No. That game is at Mohegan. UConn plays at UCLA next year. UConn tried to schedule a game at UCLA as part of its trip to CA to play Stanford this season but it couldn't work because UCLA already had games lined up on the east coast during that week.

Reaction Score
No. That game is at Mohegan. UConn plays at UCLA next year. UConn tried to schedule a game at UCLA as part of its trip to CA to play Stanford this season but it couldn't work because UCLA already had games lined up on the east coast during that week.

Thanks for the correction.
The ESPN schedule says "@UCLA". I was a little surprised by that, but didn't give it much thought.

Reaction Score
This was first reported by Jim Fuller yesterday. The game will be played around thanksgiving 2015 and the contract is only for this one game. Hamilton, NY is about an hour's drive from Syracuse. Seating capacity for Colgate's basketball arena is 3,000.
/

This will be culture shock for UConn players. I have been in Colgate's gym and there are many HS gyms that are nicer. Also it is usually empty, both for men's games and women's games. Their last sellout on the men's side came back in the mid-90's when Adonal Foyle played there. The men average less than 500 per game (real attendance) and the women less than 250.

BTW. there is no way the seating capacity is anywhere close to 3000. Colgate's site says it is 1760, which might be low but is much closer than 3000.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This will be culture shock for UConn players. I have been in Colgate's gym and there are many HS gyms that are nicer. Also it is usually empty, both for men's games and women's games. Their last sellout on the men's side came back in the mid-90's when Adonal Foyle played there. The men average less than 500 per game (real attendance) and the women less than 250.

BTW. there is no way the seating capacity is anywhere close to 3000. Colgate's site says it is 1760, which might be low but is much closer than 3000.

The 1,760 is the number of chair-back seats on one side of the arena. It's not total capacity.

It accommodates 1,760 with chair back seating on the east side and general admission bleachers on the west side.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It won't be empty for the UConn game. :)

Reaction Score

Remember it was reported earlier that UConn reached out to Syracuse for a game but was told no. Carl writes:

It’s somewhat surprising that Syracuse wouldn’t want to play UConn just from a financial point of view. In their first year in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013-14, the Orange finished 15th — last — in attendance with an average of 599 fans at the 35,446 capacity Carrier Dome. Their largest crowd was the finale against Pittsburgh (1,532) while games against Top 10 teams Duke and Maryland drew 1,107 and 1,312 respectively.

UConn’s last game at the Carrier Dome on Jan. 25, 2012, when Stewart was a high school senior, drew 4,357.

Syracuse’s non-league home schedule this season has it playing Fordham, Vermont, Penn State in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, North Carolina Central, Canisius, Cornell, and Central Connecticut State.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/stewart-to-get-homecoming-game-at-colgate/
How small can Syracuse get? Yeah, it's a favor to a local kid they didn't get, but it's still a chance to play the National Champions at your house.

Reaction Score
The 1,760 is the number of chair-back seats on one side of the arena. It's not total capacity.

It accommodates 1,760 with chair back seating on the east side and general admission bleachers on the west side.

I admit that the wording is vague, but I can definitely tell you from first-hand experience that they have nowhere near 1760 chair-backs. If you look at pictures of the gym, you'll see that there are chair-backs on less than 2/3's of one side. Each side appears to have 14 rows, so if there really were 1760 chair-backs, each row of chair-backs would have to have about 125 people. The section of chair-backs is about 60 feet long, so that means each seat would have to be less than 6 inches wide to fit in 1765 people. Some Boneyarders may be slim - but not that slim.

Forgetting about the math, having been at several games there, it is very clear that there are nowhere near 3000 seats and nowhere near 1765 chair-backs. As one example, here is an article and picture from a game I attended that had the highest attendance they have had in almost 20 years (1301). The gym was at least 75% full with those 1301 people. Not sure if 1760 is correct either, since they have published varying capacities over the years - despite never having done any renovations. But I know that there are not 3000 seats. Maybe as many as 2000 plus 1000 standing room if you put a lot of people to the sides of the bleachers and under the bleachers where they can't see the court.

http://news.colgate.edu/2008/03/two-big-games-two-big-wins-one.html/

BTW, Colgate is infamous for overstating the true attendance of sporting events and may well overstate the capacity as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, I too have been in Colgate's gym and agree, that it is smal small small!!!! How do 3,000 fit? I dunno.

The whole Syracuse thing makes me laugh..... I am sure the turn-down is because they do not want to be embarrassed..... one needs only to look at the Orange men's program..... they have one of the biggest"cupcake" schedules out of conference historically.... perhaps that is why they have had the great teams who have accomplished little.....

I have more respect for teams who follow the theme "anybody, anywhere, anytime"...... I kinda expected Syracuse to duck a game with us...... that is why they will never win anything

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Did we expect any different from Syracuse. They. Are. Scared. Of. Us. In. All. Sports.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
3000 fit only if you count each leg as separate person.

Brought an unpleasant flashback to me, stamford: one of the last times I sat on the "backless" seats in Gampel, the guy behind me had legs so big (on both sides of me) it was like being hugged by hamhocks. I'm not a small guy, but this guy should have had a seat for each leg! One o' those "uncomfortably intimate" situations, as he wore shorts and, as he sat, he leaned over and around me.:eek:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Brought an unpleasant flashback to me, stamford: one of the last times I sat on the "backless" seats in Gampel, the guy behind me had legs so big (on both sides of me) it was like being hugged by hamhocks. I'm not a small guy, but this guy should have had a seat for each leg! One o' those "uncomfortably intimate" situations, as he wore shorts and, as he sat, he leaned over and around me.:eek:
I told you to inhale and don't turn around. The Norse bears take up a lot of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom